Some of our fans are utter clowns....

I wonder if it was the bloke who was near me away at Vale this season? He was absolutely seething at Eardley from the word go. His mates had a great time ripping it out of him when Eardley led us to our first win there since Noah started work on his Arc. I’ve seen him a few times since and always have a chuckle at the Chairman of the Neil Eardley Appreciation Society.

And how does this have any bearing on what others around might or might not say?

People shouted cack at football when I first starting going two decades ago (and for long before that). They'll still be doing it in two decades time.

It's perfectly possible to live with it without incurring any ill-efects at all.

You can be a prickly one cj but you are quite right. The fact is that fans have and will always moan whatever the situation. It's a fact of football. It happens at every club, always has and always will. And why not? What did Hobbes say - life is short, sharp and brutish, or something like that. Football is a release for some people. Indeed, it may well be a part of the inner defense system for the oppressive capitalist system or it may simply stop someone from completely cracking up because they work long hours and then go home to a nagging wife and kids. The 'moaner' is a part of the rich fabric of football. stop moaning about it.

You can be a prickly one cj but you are quite right. The fact is that fans have and will always moan whatever the situation. It's a fact of football. It happens at every club, always has and always will. And why not? What did Hobbes say - life is short, sharp and brutish, or something like that. Football is a release for some people. Indeed, it may well be a part of the inner defense system for the oppressive capitalist system or it may simply stop someone from completely cracking up because they work long hours and then go home to a nagging wife and kids. The 'moaner' is a part of the rich fabric of football. stop moaning about it.

I’ve heard Boundary Park at 3 PM being compared to many things, but never Hobbes’ State of Nature! But, to carry the analogy forward, in Hobbes, people agree that they need some sort of unity of purpose and agreed behavioural standards to stop things being so grim – wouldn’t that be a bit like everyone agreeing to get behind the team which they are there to support?

I know that there will always be complaints and frustrations, and there clearly are people who go there purely to unburden their weeks worth of frustrations, but it really does ruin the game for a lot of people if all you can hear for 90 minutes is someone’s pent up hatred against the world being directed at some poor 19 year old who is trying his best for your team.

I’ve heard Boundary Park at 3 PM being compared to many things, but never Hobbes’ State of Nature! But, to carry the analogy forward, in Hobbes, people agree that they need some sort of unity of purpose and agreed behavioural standards to stop things being so grim – wouldn’t that be a bit like everyone agreeing to get behind the team which they are there to support?

I know that there will always be complaints and frustrations, and there clearly are people who go there purely to unburden their weeks worth of frustrations, but it really does ruin the game for a lot of people if all you can hear for 90 minutes is someone’s pent up hatred against the world being directed at some poor 19 year old who is trying his best for your team.

I wasn't thinking of bp but life/football in general and the fact that it effects every club. I even hear United fans moan on a regular basis and some Arsenal fans down at the library. It's an unfortunate fact of life and football reflects life. I'm not condoning it, but it will always be a part of the experience. I remember the abuse that one group used to give to Ron Futcher. The usual crap. If he gave away a foul they use to shout 'Off, off.' It really wound me up. But then you realize it's everywhere and all the time, no matter how successful a team happens to be. Perhaps we should have a moaners paddock - a bit like the old family paddock but for moaners and groaners!! That way we could achieve the greatest amount of happiness for the greatest number without interfering with the natural laws of supply and demand!!!

Every club has its fair share of clowns and we're no different.

As long as they're paying in proper money and not those twenties that turn into daffodils and squirt water at you, then by and large they're welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Erm, it might just possibly make players think they can't do anything right for some people? And therefore it affects the team I support.

I think these sort of numpties are the exact ones that Shez was right to suggest should stay away.

What individuals in the crowd might shout has little to do with anything.

If the players don't expect or can't handle criticism, whether fair or not, they shouldn't be playing professional football.

QUOTE(Hometownclub @ Apr 13 2008, 10:48 AM)

"Some of our fans are utter clowns"

Agreed, and a few of them post on here.

QUOTE Corporal Jones

Why does it bother people so much what anonymous individuals here and there happen to say or do during ninety minutes of football once a week?

What does it matter in terms of the cosmos?

Right on cue Corp!

Maybe I could have put it more simply.

How about this: get a life, people.

doesnt, most i can handle, the quiet critic who just tells his feelings to a couple of people round him, hes fine!

BUT not all are like this, as im going back to my seat, brew in hand tip toeing round the old folk (ma dad) trying to keep balance I suddenly get jolted by a man screamin his head off who seems to be doing everything but offering shez n the players a fight outside.

ok thats just an over exaggerated example but still trying to get into a game with someone behind you giving you a shower in saliva whilst using words that make the match rated over 18s only, it gets a bit annoying!

Just let it all wash over you.

This is Britain 2008. The society where children shoot each other dead and nobody much cares.

And we find our guy who sits in the lookers upper!

But seriously, it just seriously peeves people off that no matter theres always going to be a :censored: face sat near you moaning .. when theres nothing to moan about.

I mean, i was at Leeds and the guy behind me was moaning that wed kicked the ball out when Kalala, OUR player was down injured. He said pity, coulda carried on and let him die. I mean, is there any need for that?

Actually, I sit in the Looker's lower these days (got sick of paying over the odds for, mostly, third-tier dross), and I can't bring myself to shout all that much anymore, whether disparaging or encouraging.

I mean, i was at Leeds and the guy behind me was moaning that wed kicked the ball out when Kalala, OUR player was down injured. He said pity, coulda carried on and let him die. I mean, is there any need for that?

No-but he didn't mean it and nobody did die.

This is political correctness gone mad!

By the way.

I simply don't agree with the argument that you pay your money so you can say what you want. There are rules regarding crowd behaviour and some of the balloons at Boundary Park regularly break them.

I doubt if many do, in actual fact, and BP is not in some way unique.

What do people want? It was only a couple of weeks ago that some were maoning on here about being bullied and ordered about by stewards.

Hobbes is also a useful antidote to those who would force compulsory jollity on all.

Edited by sheridans_world

Guest oa_exile
I doubt if many do, in actual fact, and BP is not in some way unique.

What do people want? It was only a couple of weeks ago that some were maoning on here about being bullied and ordered about by stewards.

Take into consideration that it's the Southern Softies who are feeling hard done by :) so dont read to much into it :wink:

You make me laugh.

He didnt mean it ... nobody died, you do talk some garbage. My point was why on earth would a fan say something even remotely like that about HIS OWN PLAYER? I couldnt give a toss if he meant it ... the fact he said it made me question why on earth he turned up.

Edited by kellys_discopants

You make me laugh.

He didnt mean it ... nobody died, you do talk some garbage. My point was why on earth would a fan say something even remotely like that about HIS OWN PLAYER? I couldnt give a toss if he meant it ... the fact he said it made me question why on earth he turned up.

It's terrible.

What a world eh?