END OF SEASON SQUAD UPDATE.

Confession time.

I said on a recent post that we should unload both Gregan And Liddell.

I was wrong on one count.

After watching Gregan's display against Orient on Saturday, we should keep him for next season.

But I stand by my opinion that Liddell shouldn't be offered a new contract. I think we saw our first choice right winger for next season in the form of Smalley.

If it was a choice of keeping Liddel or using his wages to get a better player that we really need, then let him go. No room for sentimentality here, I'm afraid.

KEEP THE FAITH

Guest oa_exile
Confession time.

After watching Gregan's display against Orient on Saturday, we should keep him for next season.

But I stand by my opinion that Liddell shouldn't be offered a new contract. I think we saw our first choice right winger for next season in the form of Smalley.

If it was a choice of keeping Liddel or using his wages to get a better player that we really need, then let him go. No room for sentimentality here, I'm afraid.

KEEP THE FAITH

100% lets get rid ! , it's worked a treat this season when Shez had no room for sentiment and got rid of Charlton and Warney.

Smalley needs another season yet he is not up to 46 games +

The other news of course is that Gregan is under contract so a liitle difficult to get rid of , not that anyone would want to in the first place.

100% lets get rid ! , it's worked a treat this season when Shez had no room for sentiment and got rid of Charlton and Warney.

Smalley needs another season yet he is not up to 46 games +

The other news of course is that Gregan is under contract so a liitle difficult to get rid of , not that anyone would want to in the first place.

oh i dont know really......get someone who is younger fitter and of equal standing as greegan,on less money and would you still want to keep him???

imo i would keep liddell if for no other reason than being a squad member,and prolly still able to do a job from the bench.

as for smally not being able to do a full season......i think next season he may just prove a few people wrong

Guest oa_exile
oh i dont know really......get someone who is younger fitter and of equal standing as greegan,on less money and would you still want to keep him???

Quick answer is :lol:

as for smally not being able to do a full season......i think next season he may just prove a few people wrong

I hope so Ed , I just think he need's another season under his belt

Edited by oa_exile

Confession time.

KEEP THE FAITH

Fair play to ya. Gregan is class I cant believe anyone doubts it.

Also id like to keep Lidds but I can see an argument for freeing up his wage. I think most agree with that which is why most say keep him of the money is right. I think Lids just loves playing football and will take a paycut to try and have an involvement in 1 more successful season - as well as staying local.

Quick answer is :lol:

I hope so Ed , I just think he need's another season under his belt

is that a yes or a no then,hahahah

think when smalley first played in the first team it was a big big shock,and maybe he was a little in awe,but i think all things considered he has done really well with his chances this season,and imo can only improve,he will now have that buzz of playing in the first team and wont want to give up his place so easily.

eardly and taylor have managed it,and i dont see any reason why he cant do a full season next season,big learning curve so far but he is proving people wrong already

Guest oa_exile
is that a yes or a no then,hahahah

think when smalley first played in the first team it was a big big shock,and maybe he was a little in awe,but i think all things considered he has done really well with his chances this season,and imo can only improve,he will now have that buzz of playing in the first team and wont want to give up his place so easily.

eardly and taylor have managed it,and i dont see any reason why he cant do a full season next season,big learning curve so far but he is proving people wrong already

Getting rid of Gregan , lol :laught16:

As I say I hope that you are right , just dont feel with the way this season has gone we can afford passengers next season.

The crowd will be on players backs next season IF they dont perform and as you say he has had 1 season so for some he will have had enough time , that is the worry for me , build them up and then destroy them.

i dont think we're ever going to get promoted relying on players like smalley or lids, theyre both nowhere near as good as taylor IMO. shez needs to pay whatever it takes to get a quality left sided midfielder, and stick taylor on the right.

id get rid of wolfy, kalala and thompson too.

i dont think we're ever going to get promoted relying on players like smalley or lids, theyre both nowhere near as good as taylor IMO. shez needs to pay whatever it takes to get a quality left sided midfielder, and stick taylor on the right.

id get rid of wolfy, kalala and thompson too.

Don't agree. I think on his day, Smalley can be absolute quality. Saturday was a good example of that, making that brilliant run down the right and setting up Taylor. If he gets more consistency and of course more confidence, then he'll be brilliant for us

dont forget we were playing leyton orient, and they were shockingly poor. We should be looking to beat teams like Sheff Wednesday next season (if they go down of course), i just think if smalley came up against any full back worth his coin, hed be carted into the stands.

dont forget we were playing leyton orient, and they were shockingly poor. We should be looking to beat teams like Sheff Wednesday next season (if they go down of course), i just think if smalley came up against any full back worth his coin, hed be carted into the stands.

In the Everton game, If I remember rightly, Smalley gave Leighton Baines such a torrid time he got subbed.

In the Everton game, If I remember rightly, Smalley gave Leighton Baines such a torrid time he got subbed.

was one ofthe best players on the pitch at leeds. in my time at latics, its not the likes of sheff weds that we struggle to beat, its the teams like leyton orient

We should definitely keep Deano - even when half the squad haven't turned up, he's the one player who's stuck to the job and given his all... Luton (A) anyone ?

I agree, jetison Kalala (poor poor season), Thompson (poor before injuries, can't see him getting better), Wolfy (who, though a trier, is never going to make the grade, just has no class!).

With the remaining Squad, lets gets go with this:

GK Crossley

LB Lomax

RB Eardley

CH Gregan

CH Hazell

ML Liddell

MC

MC Allot

MR Taylor

F Davies

F Hughes

Subs

Stam, Allessandra, Smalley, GK and MF

I think we definitely need a GK (obvious) -but a decent one who can actually challenge Crossley for a place. Crossley has done OK but his mobility (or lack of it is almost embarrassing - especially watching him run!). We also need a decent ball playing midfielder and a pacey striker to challenge the 1st choice two.

Black & Kelly look OK but still a little early for them yet. Decent enough as fringe / cover players though.

Obviously, we can still loan players as and when needed, but the above squad (if it keeps fit, should be enough next season - just hope Hughes stays fit - reckon he could have a brilliant year).

KTF

GK Crossley

LB Lomax

RB Eardley

CH Gregan

CH Hazell

ML Liddell

MC

MC Allot

MR Taylor

F Davies

F Hughes

Subs

Stam, Allessandra, Smalley, GK and MF

Just not quite strong enough for me... and Lids on the left - good god no... it is bad enough watching him in slow motion on the right, never mind watching him take even longer trying to cut inside onto his good foot!

Eardley wont be here... so we need a new RB (or CB to cover if hazell moves over there) a new left winger, and a new striker, Smalley and Ales will play as many games ext year as a 4th choice striker if we are challenging for promotion... we need a third decent player competing up-top...

Its the making of a decent squad though... and IMO only need four experienced additions, and we will be in with a shot...

Soooooo much depends on getting Hughes and Davies fit and firing though.... they will terrorise any defence at this level...

Guest oa_exile
Eardley wont be here... so we need a new RB (or CB to cover if hazell moves over there) a new left winger, and a new striker, Smalley and Ales will play as many games ext year as a 4th choice striker if we are challenging for promotion... we need a third decent player competing up-top...

TBH , IF Eardley moves on (and probably he will) then I think Shez will persist with Thompson and use him at RB.

He has had a terrible season with injuries , 8 games played , so realistically he will be like a new signing.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that the lad has not been fit since his transfer.

The other alternative of course is to bring in a LB and move Lomax to RB........or Rubes at RB and Gregan-Stam at CB.

I prefer the Rubes-Gregan pairing though.

Get Kelvin to right back if Eards does go. He does a very good job at left back. I'm sure he'd continue to improve playing at right back.

Where i agree that Lomax could easily replace Eardley...the major problem for the last couple of years is that we dont have a big enough squad. Losing Eardley replacing him with lomax effectively reduces our squad so we would need to bring in another defender on top imo.

I understand Eardley has done well for us this year and with regular call ups for wales and his captaincy raising his price there could be some interest, But firstly i hope he isnt sold and if he is at least not for any less than £500,000.

We should definitely keep Deano - even when half the squad haven't turned up, he's the one player who's stuck to the job and given his all... Luton (A) anyone ?

That's a very fair point. Nobody who was at that game would ever question whether the lad has heart or bottle, he ran himself into the ground whilst most of the team shuffled around looking embarrassed

TBH , IF Eardley moves on (and probably he will) then I think Shez will persist with Thompson and use him at RB.

He has had a terrible season with injuries , 8 games played , so realistically he will be like a new signing.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that the lad has not been fit since his transfer.

Braver man than I am! In that case, Thompson's injury must've been a brain injury coz it was his woeful positioning that was embarrassing and often leaving him exposed and looking gash. If Shez does do as you mention, then it'll be another tick in the "mistake" column. If he continues racking them up next season, then he's going to lose those who are all in favour for him.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Braver man than I am! In that case, Thompson's injury must've been a brain injury coz it was his woeful positioning that was embarrassing and often leaving him exposed and looking gash. If Shez does do as you mention, then it'll be another tick in the "mistake" column. If he continues racking them up next season, then he's going to lose those who are all in favour for him.

I dont know why, but there is something in me that constantly refuses to believe Thompson is as bad as he is... I just have this folorn hope that suddely he will rise as some sorrt of all conquering savior, roy of the rovers style, into our team.... and solve all our problems, propelling us into the Premier league miraculously in one season...

I just have this faith that we aint seen the best of him... he has played for ireland for gods sake... he must have some talent.. surely??? I just think he will still be her next year... and might just show us that he can play a bit of football...

... but then again.. i could be wrong...

I just have this faith that we aint seen the best of him... he has played for ireland for gods sake... he must have some talent.. surely??? I just think he will still be her next year... and might just show us that he can play a bit of football...

... but then again.. i could be wrong...

There's a flaw in your argument there. So has McAteer :wink: