Contract Signed

outside the box lewis is the complete player. his hold up play is second to none and his strength is that of someone far more experienced than himself. To think what this lad will be like in three years really excites me. IMO he has more potential than any other young player to play at our club in the last 17 years ive been watchin latics, and if Eardley is worth £500,000 we will be rich if we came to sell Lewis in a couple of years time. mind you, knowing our luck he will be out for 18 months injured as of next week :disappointed:

outside the box lewis is the complete player. his hold up play is second to none and his strength is that of someone far more experienced than himself. To think what this lad will be like in three years really excites me. IMO he has more potential than any other young player to play at our club in the last 17 years ive been watchin latics, and if Eardley is worth £500,000 we will be rich if we came to sell Lewis in a couple of years time. mind you, knowing our luck he will be out for 18 months injured as of next week :disappointed:

Agreed. I think hes the best young player at the club by a mile

Not to be too downbeat about this I'm glad Lewis got a new deal and I'm glad its more than 1 year (especially as he's a mate of an aquaintance) but I'm not sure I'd have given him 3 years. In 3 years time I'd want (and half expect) Oldham to be playing Championship football (or to have played it in that time)and Lewis hasn't quite shown me enough to say he could play Championship football with ease, as he has had some good chances but not scored that many goals. I think he might be good enough for the Championship but I'm not certain (where as I'm almost positive Davies is and Hughes has a proven track record at that level). Plus, I don't know how old he is either off the top of my head and in three years time will we still be eligible for compensation if he leaves on a free? Personally I'd have given him 2 years and then extended it at the end of next season

The flip side, though, is that he might break into the first-team and do great things and the 3-year deal will give us far more leverage when the big-time vultures start circling BP.

Most skilful player at the club according to what Shez and Mark Crossley said at Boundary Blues party on Monday. Not sure that's saying a lot to be honest but he is obviously held in high regard and i assume that the 3 yr deal is to increase his value to would be suitors if he turns out as good as he is potentially showing. There is no doubt in my mind he could be a championship player if we get there in those 3years. I just hope we don't deal with him like we did Scott Spencer (remember him) although i wont hold my breath.

Great News about Alessandra.... 3 year contract IMO is to protect the club as I believe there have already been a few clubs sniffing around him !

In regards to Smalley, I'd be hoping he gets a 2 years deal to prove himself but we have to start playing the lad in his right position.. Deano isn't a Forward and panics to much in the 18 yrd box, he wont score more than 8 goals a season and that been said by the Latic Staff as well !

Great News about Alessandra.... 3 year contract IMO is to protect the club as I believe there have already been a few clubs sniffing around him !

In regards to Smalley, I'd be hoping he gets a 2 years deal to prove himself but we have to start playing the lad in his right position.. Deano isn't a Forward and panics to much in the 18 yrd box, he wont score more than 8 goals a season and that been said by the Latic Staff as well !

Best young striker we've produced in ages, (Vernon apart, but diffrent players) Ok his goal tally hasn't got really going yet but how many has he made in his ten appearances, he's been involved in at least 6 or 7 and destroyed Tranmere with his movement. I was very excited when I saw him vs Carlisle and although i'm of the opinion he is playing in the 1st team maybe 18 months too early (same with Smalley) the experience will toughen him up no end. I'm sure the 3 year deal is to ward off potential suitors or at least to have them realise that this boy will not be sold on the cheap. So that's Eardley, Taylor, Lomax and now Lewi amongst our home grown gems that are tied down on three year deals, can only be good news for the club as if other teams are interested they'll have to pay the going rate. I would like to see Davies be given a 12 month extension as it could be squeaky bum time come January if he's doing well.

Edited by oafcprozac