Happy St. George's Day

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was great to see the flags up in Royton yesterday - made me very proud! Believe Hollinwood had flags up as well. Anywhere else ?

shame they were put up by people of "questionsble" political backgrounds.

i just think its a shame its getting harder and harder to distinguish between who genuinely wants to celebrate St Georges day for what it is (ie a celebration of England and its past present and future) and, without wanting to put too fine a point on it, racists.

shame they were put up by people with "questionsble" political motivation.

i just think its a shame its getting harder and harder to distinguish between who genuinely wants to celebrate St Georges day for what it is (ie a celebration of England and its past present and future) and, without wanting to put too fine a point on it, racists.

what,like these lot?

bbc

what,like these lot?

bbc

yup, was in the printworks on me lunch yesterday about 1ish and there were quite a lot of people in there celebrating st georges day by drinking erm...... Belgian beer, in an Irish pub, and 2 of them were singing about the IRA. Clueless doesnt even begin to cover it.

Im not the one proposing we go to a french system :lol:

Having one days holiday isn't going to the french sytem though is it. Having another 18 bank holidays a 35 hour week and lots of bureaucracy is, Ive lived there I know what I'm talking about (turns off pedantic mode). Seriously from my time living in France I appreciated A that Britain is a great place to live and B I'm astounded by people that slag it off so much who live here and people have such a problem with celebrating the fact that they are proud to be English.

Having one days holiday isn't going to the french sytem though is it. Having another 18 bank holidays a 35 hour week and lots of bureaucracy is, Ive lived there I know what I'm talking about (turns off pedantic mode). Seriously from my time living in France I appreciated A that Britain is a great place to live and B I'm astounded by people that slag it off so much who live here and people have such a problem with celebrating the fact that they are proud to be English.

the fact is the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Brittain, and it seems oldhamers in particular, are renowned for never being happy. they say its always raining and they prefer it abroad, yet when they go on holiday they are too hot.

i really do hate people who constantly moan, yet sit back and do nothing about what they are moaning about. if you dont like it in england, move to another country. but that would be too hot,too cold,full of foreigners etc. these people are never happy.

Make the most of your life. if you arnt happy with it you only have yourself to blame. you made it

Im all for celebrating St Georges day, but its difficult when you dont get the day off. I went to the awards last night and had a beer, but if they wernt on, its very difficult to get others excited about it.

the fact is the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Brittain, and it seems oldhamers in particular, are renowned for never being happy. they say its always raining and they prefer it abroad, yet when they go on holiday they are too hot.

i really do hate people who constantly moan, yet sit back and do nothing about what they are moaning about. if you dont like it in england, move to another country. but that would be too hot,too cold,full of foreigners etc. these people are never happy.

Make the most of your life. if you arnt happy with it you only have yourself to blame. you made it

Im all for celebrating St Georges day, but its difficult when you dont get the day off. I went to the awards last night and had a beer, but if they wernt on, its very difficult to get others excited about it.

i hate people who moan about people moaning, so there!

:grin:

We have more than enouh public holidays....

Besides there working practices I love France...ace country :) I like my apartment in Nice very much :lol:

If your proud to be english and want to celebrate thats fine by me. Just dont expect me to feel the same or for me to vote for a publc holiday...

Edited by oafc0000

you obviously havent read the full thread. i suggest you do before sticking your nose in. wales is one of the last places i would like to live.

oaf0000, im not askin you to tell me your company name...just your area of expertise.

You obviously need a prozac. I'll stick my nose wherever i want- -this is England/Wales, land of the free, but not free from the ignorant. And there is nothing wrong with this fine principality. Oh, and if you want to praise the false/foreign saint then that is also your right.

It's an interesting one, this. I think national days mean very different things to different countries. A lot of them celebrate something in opposition to something else - clearly the case for England's near neighbours, Irland, Wales and Scotland, whose days point out that they are not English. Likewise the other colonies - look at how even the world's only superpower still loves to get out the rebel uniforms and regurgitate the old myths about their war of independance. The wackiest example is Serbia, whose national "moment" was them getting their arses kicked big time by the Turks on Kosovo Fields, even though they got lost they look to that as the definition of their nationhood.

England doesn't have anything like that to contrast against, having spent the last thousand years conquering firstly it's neighbours and then a lot of the rest of the world. Now most of that is gone, so we don't have our global power to celebrate either. I thinks it's precisely because of this gap that certain people, morons, try to stir up hostility against whatever group fits the bill, be it the Irish by virtue of the IRA (PS thanks for your wonderful tolerance Ed), immigrants (it used to be West Indians but they are OK now, let's move onto Asians), whoever, to give them something to stand against. Thankfully the St George's Cross has been somewhat reclaimed from that sort, but it is still the fact that a day celebrating something is never going to be as popular as a day against something.

I wouldn't mind another Bank Holiday (although holidays don't make my work go away :disappointed: ) but the fact that people don't make a big deal about the day as it is kind of points to the fact that St George's isn't something that people care about much, and I don't want the Government trying to invent some nationalistic sentiment that isn't actually there - that's dodgy territory.

glad the manure promoted themselves yesterday in barcelona ...

from a friend who has just got back:

"...... I saw different MU fans all wearing the same t-shirt in different groups of people. Picture of an obviously young Englishman, with the bold type slogan "Superior Being" and the sub-text "Don't F*ck with the English" (without the *).

tossers.

We have more than enouh public holidays....

Besides there working practices I love France...ace country :) I like my apartment in Nice very much :lol:

If your proud to be english and want to celebrate thats fine by me. Just dont expect me to feel the same or for me to vote for a publc holiday...

Nice eh Nice thats where I lived had plenty of good nights down old nice even though the beer was a tad expensive in the bars had the best year of my life there loved the place.

Perhaps because English culture has had such a large dominating effect on the world (for some wrong reasons but also for some of the right reasons as well) then maybe we don't feel the need to celebrate it maybe we don't have that chip on our shoulders. It would be nice to celebrate it if for nothing else to reclaim the St georges cross and for people to feel comfortable with it rather than being branded a racist.

Oh and another thing i learned from living abroad and meeting people from all over the world is that the rest of the world doesn't all hate us either. Yeah some people don't like our overly aggressive drinking culture and thats fair enough but we are also seen as fair tolerant, polite and as having a good sense of humour.

What a sad state of affairs when people feel the need to hijack a thread like this.

Wishing people "Happy St George's Day" is intended to be a pleasant gesture but some people have to try to turn it into something else.

If you are not in favour of us having a day to celebrate our country, that is your perogative, simply move on to the next topic and suggest an action plan that will win us promotion next season,