Eardley

Bring Back Ronnie Moore

How much is Eardley worth?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. At what price do you feel Eardley should be sold?

• 100k-300k+
    • 400k+
    • 500k+
    • 600k-800k+
    • 900k-1m
    • Over 1m or don't sell at all.

Something which annoys the hell out of me is how people want us to sell Eardley, as if he's overrated and any money we get for him is a bonus I think Eardley is one of our most consistent performers this season and our best right back of recent years. Defensively he hardly puts a foot wrong, for a young lad he's got good composure and knows exactly what to do when the ball is in a dangerous area. He is also good going forward, his runs down the right wing have created a good few goals this season. So why is Eardley criticised? Because his crossing is a bit hit and miss, he has a tendency to put one right over the players and out for a goal kick, and that negative aspect alone overshadows his good defensive ability. And people say he's easily replaced? Yeah, because lets look at a few players who have played right back in recent seasons....Terrible Forbes, Danny Hall, Michael Clegg. Now, I'm not saying we shouldn't sell Eardley should the right price come along (because if bigger teams want him, they'll get him), it's just a dig at people who don't appreciate how good Eardley actually is and why for the benefit of the team (certainly the playing aspect) it'd be swell to have him still here next season.

Anyway, do you think we should sell Eardley? What price would you value him at?

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Fees are highly inflated at the moment for good young british players. Seeing as that Cardiff wlesh full back went for well over a million I don't see why we should settle when we have him tied down to a lengthy contract. Over a million or no sale for me. I find it astounding personally how desperate so many on here are to sell Eardley, when imo he is very consistent and improving all the time. Could be a massive player for us next season, if we get him a good partner down that right side, he thrives on being able to get forward and back up the winger by over lapping.

I'm sorry but I'm in the Eardley is overrated catagory. That is to say I don't think he will be a Premier League class player; he will probably be a decent Championship level right back. I don't think we will ever get a fee more than about £300K for him, so in that basis I would just keep him, unless we are desperate for money to strengthen in other areas. I feel that Lomax would make an adequate replacement under these circumstances.

Eardley has had it hard this year due to not having a right winger in front of him for a lot of it. He certainly looks better with Smalley in front of him. However, his crossing is bobbin's and needs to be improved.

On the plus side he has a great engine and pace, isn't caught out defensively very often and showed against Everton that he can take care of even the better players.

Around 800k for me, but with a sell on clause. Else over a million.

I don't think it is a question of what he is worth, more likely how much can we afford to say no to.

I don't think the club will be able to say no to offers around the 300k mark on the back of (probable) poor season ticket sales.

For what it is worth, I think it is a pretty fair amount of money for a footballer who can't do the basics with a ball at his feet.

KtF,

Derek.

Fees are highly inflated at the moment for good young british players. Seeing as that Cardiff wlesh full back went for well over a million I don't see why we should settle when we have him tied down to a lengthy contract. Over a million or no sale for me. I find it astounding personally how desperate so many on here are to sell Eardley, when imo he is very consistent and improving all the time. Could be a massive player for us next season, if we get him a good partner down that right side, he thrives on being able to get forward and back up the winger by over lapping.

I totally agree, If Cardiff can get a million quid for a guy behind Eardley in the Wales pecking order we should be looking for at least the same amount.

The other defenders you mentioned i don't think were all that bad. Forbes wasn't great for us but went on to Yeovil and did well. Danny Hall was unlucky with injury. Clegg wasn't too bad although im struggling to remember that far back.

I think that if we are offered over 750,000 for Eardley we should take it. Hold on to him for one more season and see what happens.

Completely agree.

Clegg wasn't too bad although im struggling to remember that far back.

Clegg played a game for Manure in the European Cup, but he was absolute bobbins for us, and finished up in nonleague football. I doubt that he lasted long there either.

Eardley I think could be a good full back if he learns how to pass the ball, because at the moment he doesn't have much idea of how to do it. I think £500,000 would be a good deal. Of the two I prefer Lomax.

Clegg wasn't too bad although im struggling to remember that far back.

Clegg played a game for Manure in the European Cup, but he was absolute bobbins for us, and finished up in nonleague football. I doubt that he lasted long there either.

Eardley I think could be a good full back if he learns how to pass the ball, because at the moment he doesn't have much idea of how to do it. I think £500,000 would be a good deal. Of the two I prefer Lomax.

We have him on a lengthy deal, and so if someone offers £500,000 we shouldnt be desperate to sell. we can afford to wait until a better offer comes along . £600,000,£700,000,£800,000. his value is only ever going to go one way, so why sell while it is still relatively low? In reality he is probably only worth £500,000 now, but potentially he is £1 mill plus easily

The other defenders you mentioned i don't think were all that bad. Forbes wasn't great for us but went on to Yeovil and did well. Danny Hall was unlucky with injury. Clegg wasn't too bad although im struggling to remember that far back.

I think that if we are offered over 750,000 for Eardley we should take it. Hold on to him for one more season and see what happens.

Your right there pete you are strugging to remember back because he was awful!

We have him on a lengthy deal, and so if someone offers £500,000 we shouldnt be desperate to sell. we can afford to wait until a better offer comes along . £600,000,£700,000,£800,000. his value is only ever going to go one way, so why sell while it is still relatively low? In reality he is probably only worth £500,000 now, but potentially he is £1 mill plus easily

he is only worth what someone offers to pay.

I voted in the 'over 1 million or not at all' as there wasn't a stand alone "DO NOT SELL" category. I cant for the life of me understand the reason Eardley gets so much grief from so called latics fans.....from my vantage point of the soon to be no-more Lookers paddock, i lose track of how many 'bloody hell eardley' calls i hear per game, it astounds me.

Neil came into 1st team football at a really young age (17) and must be now approaching his 100 game marker for us (sure someone will correct me on that though :wink: ). Rightly or wrongly, he has been captain for the most part of this season, and has, in places, played some super stuff. He now looks a better bet than Liddell for penalties, his shot is sweet as you like, and his crossing, whilst still can (and will i would think) be worked on, has improved no end this season - as it has had to as he hasn't had a right midfielder / winger in front of ALL SEASON!!

With a regualar RM / RW in front of him next season, the real Neil Eardley will come to the fore - the one that is deemed good enough to be playing International football, the one who has had Premiership scouts watching him, the one who sports papers & 4-4-2 magazine dub as 'a bit special' talent wise..........

I think sometimes some of our supporters need to have a dip in the reality pond - Eardley is a very, very solid League 1 fullback, with the potential & talent to go much, much higher thean the level he is at now.....

Selling him right now would be a travisty - he is exactly the type of player we need to keep hold of, build a side around the likes of him, Taylor, Lewis, Smalley etc - and see ALL their values rise.........Eardley has to stay for next season, those that want rid of him need to have a look at themselves as far as i'm concerned!!

Mini rant over!!!!

Edited by slystallone

The right-back position has been as secure as it ever has been, you don't see much at all getting past Eardley, his passing and crossing lets him down but I'm sure if he had that as well he'd probably be playing right wing instead. He chips in with a few assists and has a lethal shot on him as well, nogt bad from the penalty spot either.

If we get a very good offer that we can't refuse then yes sell him but Lomax is NOT as good as Eardley and while he might be a little better going forward and passing you will see far more getting past him and more goals being conceeded from that side of the pitch.

My views aired elsewhere already....

Exactly...we bemoan how we can't get players to come to us from up above...be it not wanting to come to this level or can't afford them but a player we have, that can make the step up, we are ready to happily sell him. I'd want a big, big fee around at least £750k for him or else no thanks, we'll see where we can get with him.

As for his being caught out of position, yes, true sometimes he can be. This is often when we've no RW playing and he's had to venture up himself. Very, very rarely (if ever) happens when he's playing RB and often, if he goes forward the RW fills in (one thing I will grant Lids was very good at when the two overlapped.....back in the day...last seen on 1st Jan 2007!) And when he is caught out, 9 out of 10 times he's the pace to get back and recover. Only his passing concerns me sometimes, but again, that's better when he's got a balanced right side to the team.

Eardleys worth?....

Holden

Forbes

Clegg

Appleby

Murray

McDonald

Berehall

S.McNiven

Just a quick list of names off the top of my head of players who have played consistently or filled in during times of need at RB....

And Eardley....

Put the list above together in 1 RIGHT BACK (not other positions they play in usually...just at RB!) and you'd still be miles from Eardleys abilities in that position.

What I don't understand is just why people focus so much on his passing and crossing abilities when first and formost he is a right back, one of the best in the league and also regarded as one of the best for his country.

I for one feel that we are lucky to have such a good youngster who playing from right back manages to get themselves into those positions where they can knock a cross in because we certainly haven't had the balance of a right winger out there for the majority of the season.

I sincerley hope that the people who gripe about Eardley are not these who bemoan us selling off players like Trotman, Philliskirk et al as that would be sheer hipocrasy!

Get behing the lad, he's the best prospect I've seen at BP for years and is clearly an integral part of the team!

I for one don't want to go back to the days of rob Scott and Terrible Forbes who looked shakier than a parkinsons sufferer riding a penny farthing along a cobbled street!

Finally, how did Clegg ever play in Europe?? to be fair he had his best ever game in the disaster of an FA cup game against Blackpool and started looking like a half decent footballer then we got rid? Bizarre!

Eardley is extremely solid of us, a great right back at this level and with definite potential, yes his crossing can be hit or miss but with his passing half the time he hasn't had an experienced right winger infront of him to pass to, therefore has to either chip it or try a more ambitious ball....Eardley is a cracking player and I would definitely want around 750k+ from him....IMO more proven than Trotman.

Anyone think he should have got young player of the year? or at least out of him Taylor and Smalley as they have played a full season!

I voted for Smalley and agree with you that the 3 you mention are far more worthy than Lewis....IMO, sadly our fans have seen Lewis as worthy of it off a handful of games. Yes, Lewis will possibly be the better player (shown glimpses of this) but for the amount of games he's played compared to the others, he's not justified his selection for Young Player of the Season. The important word in that award being "Season".....Smalleys been criminally overused this season and hasn't disappointed one bit. Oh well....

Edited by boundaryblue80

Anyone think he should have got young player of the year? or at least out of him Taylor and Smalley as they have played a full season!

Possibly, I went for Smalley. He's played in a number of different roles and always given his all, he's impressed me this year. Alessandra just has more flair and catches the eye more.