Farewell to the Lookers

Well said young man :lookers:

Think sat is stuff the sponsors day!!! Lets fill the stand will flags, banners, scarves ........ for one I will be screaming at Wilson et al to give me a hand taping up my Paddock Army banner from the upper!!!!

shame the away fans wills be in the little section .. still might actually get a chance to sit in front of the piggy box.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey, a farewell to the old lady on Saturday.

I started going in the paddock as a 6 year old in 1974, my old man used to take me and I would sit on the wall talking to players warming up and colour in the programmes in orange crayolas. My first game in there was against Luton in the October, 3 months after moving into the area after living in Germany.

Sometimes I watched the game too, but it was all so new and exciting back then. I watched fights in the chaddy and developed heroes in those formative few years - funnily enough all full backs and wingers excepting one moment of madness.

Woody was my first, Grovesey was brill but I recall little about him, then Chalky White, then I had an abberation and decided that Ged Keegan was the best thing since sliced bread.

I hit being a teen and Ryan and Atkinson were the dogs as far as I was concerned. I suppose when those two left I had started to appreciate the game a little more and wasn't as interested in the players that were mere feet from me and developed other favourites. Clements, Paul Futcher and of course the king of all footballers, Roger Palmer.

Still wingers and full backs mainly got the nod from me - Joe McBride 'cos he had the same boots as me (Puma Kings), Wardy, Paul Heaton. The legend that is Denis Irwin. Tricky Ricky and Andy 'pie on a muffin' Barlow, Neil Adams, Chris Makin for some time. The old fella Eyrsie and nowadays a sprightly and promising young buck Deane Smalley. To sit side on and see that lot over the years has been wonderful and frustrating in equal amounts.

When I was about 10 or 11 I started to get season tickets for the upper and used to get a lift with Rick off this here board and his Dad. Every week Ken would take me and our kid and Rick, Paul and Ste to the match. Sadly Ken, our kid and Paul have lost the faith but I still see Rick and Ste every home game and share beers with them pre and post game. I have made some great friends in that old wood and steel ramshackle frame

I had the odd flirt with the Chaddy (the three Premiership years were spent in there) and RRE but for me the Lookers is home on gods little acre.

I'm really going to miss being in there and even though I know the development has to happen, a part of me will be really sad on Saturday at five-ish when I walk out of the doors for the last time.

So high and low lights in no particular order.

Being told to effing cut it out by the linesman in the Blackburn switched game because I was throwing snowballs at him for loads of the match.

Being smacked round the head by the old man for antagonising said liner.

Me going radio rental when Kinkladze missed the pen when we finally turned City over at BP.

Actually, pretty much every City game, I hate them so much it isn't really healthy.

The Verndogs goal.

Tranmere last season jumping on the wall and almost falling into the paddock to celebrate in the upper when the keeping clown dropped a clanger and we went top. 'Ronnie, Ronnie what's the score!!!'

Graeme Sharp as manager and Danny Standring walking onto the pitch and planting himself firmly in the centre spot in protest to applause from the stand.

Watching that mug from Middlesborough in the 80's who decided to climb over the fence and run over the pitch to take the Chaddy on his own.

West Ham, Arsenal, Villa, Southampton in THAT season.

Ossie Ardiles against Spurs in the cup - genius.

Palmer, Palmer, Palmer, Palmer so many times Palmer. Diving header against Ipswich, out of the binmans hands in the cup against Everton.

'Joooooollllllllllllllian where's your handbag' on Easter Monday against Wet Spam.

Walking into the ground for the first time.

Clix chewing gum in a blister pack and fish n chips snacks with Bovril on cold winter days.

The day my Dad died we sat in the main stand against Chesterfield in the JPT, I spent most of the game lost in my thoughts and the old girl was like me, empty and dark - I don't think I have ever wanted to be in there as much in my life as that night.

Redders and really trying to stay off the pitch.

Buckets outside in the cold and rain for far too many weeks.

Players spinning off to celebrate in front of the best stand in the ground.

'Taylor, grow your hair, you look like f**king Wilson' a few weeks ago from the paddock.

The camaraderie in the place.

The Royle bar.

My friends.

My seat.

Footballing home.

And many more I don't wish to bore you with.

KtF,

Derek.

Derek, you are a legend mate

:bigcry:

It is starting to hit home - this place - concrete, wood and rusting steel is a place where I have spent so much of my time. Some of my happiest memories (don't tell the wife!! :blink: ) - some bad ones too (Cardiff at home etc).

I will post up some of my memories (probably tomorrow) but can't believe that the my second home is finally going....

Blimey, a farewell to the old lady on Saturday.

I started going in the paddock as a 6 year old in 1974, my old man used to take me and I would sit on the wall talking to players warming up and colour in the programmes in orange crayolas. My first game in there was against Luton in the October, 3 months after moving into the area after living in Germany.

Sometimes I watched the game too, but it was all so new and exciting back then. I watched fights in the chaddy and developed heroes in those formative few years - funnily enough all full backs and wingers excepting one moment of madness.

Woody was my first, Grovesey was brill but I recall little about him, then Chalky White, then I had an abberation and decided that Ged Keegan was the best thing since sliced bread.

I hit being a teen and Ryan and Atkinson were the dogs as far as I was concerned. I suppose when those two left I had started to appreciate the game a little more and wasn't as interested in the players that were mere feet from me and developed other favourites. Clements, Paul Futcher and of course the king of all footballers, Roger Palmer.

Still wingers and full backs mainly got the nod from me - Joe McBride 'cos he had the same boots as me (Puma Kings), Wardy, Paul Heaton. The legend that is Denis Irwin. Tricky Ricky and Andy 'pie on a muffin' Barlow, Neil Adams, Chris Makin for some time. The old fella Eyrsie and nowadays a sprightly and promising young buck Deane Smalley. To sit side on and see that lot over the years has been wonderful and frustrating in equal amounts.

When I was about 10 or 11 I started to get season tickets for the upper and used to get a lift with Rick off this here board and his Dad. Every week Ken would take me and our kid and Rick, Paul and Ste to the match. Sadly Ken, our kid and Paul have lost the faith but I still see Rick and Ste every home game and share beers with them pre and post game. I have made some great friends in that old wood and steel ramshackle frame

I had the odd flirt with the Chaddy (the three Premiership years were spent in there) and RRE but for me the Lookers is home on gods little acre.

I'm really going to miss being in there and even though I know the development has to happen, a part of me will be really sad on Saturday at five-ish when I walk out of the doors for the last time.

So high and low lights in no particular order.

Being told to effing cut it out by the linesman in the Blackburn switched game because I was throwing snowballs at him for loads of the match.

Being smacked round the head by the old man for antagonising said liner.

Me going radio rental when Kinkladze missed the pen when we finally turned City over at BP.

Actually, pretty much every City game, I hate them so much it isn't really healthy.

The Verndogs goal.

Tranmere last season jumping on the wall and almost falling into the paddock to celebrate in the upper when the keeping clown dropped a clanger and we went top. 'Ronnie, Ronnie what's the score!!!'

Graeme Sharp as manager and Danny Standring walking onto the pitch and planting himself firmly in the centre spot in protest to applause from the stand.

Watching that mug from Middlesborough in the 80's who decided to climb over the fence and run over the pitch to take the Chaddy on his own.

West Ham, Arsenal, Villa, Southampton in THAT season.

Ossie Ardiles against Spurs in the cup - genius.

Palmer, Palmer, Palmer, Palmer so many times Palmer. Diving header against Ipswich, out of the binmans hands in the cup against Everton.

'Joooooollllllllllllllian where's your handbag' on Easter Monday against Wet Spam.

Walking into the ground for the first time.

Clix chewing gum in a blister pack and fish n chips snacks with Bovril on cold winter days.

The day my Dad died we sat in the main stand against Chesterfield in the JPT, I spent most of the game lost in my thoughts and the old girl was like me, empty and dark - I don't think I have ever wanted to be in there as much in my life as that night.

Redders and really trying to stay off the pitch.

Players spinning off to celebrate in front of the best stand in the ground.

'Taylor, grow your hair, you look like f**king Wilson' a few weeks ago from the paddock.

The camaraderie in the place.

The Royle bar.

My friends.

My seat.

Footballing home.

And many more I don't wish to bore you with.

KtF,

Derek.

Great post!

Clix chewing gum in blister packs. Made my frickin 10 y.o. eyes water that stuff , nearly blew my bloody head off, but I still had to have it cos it was 'going to the footie' weren't it?!

I expect I'll feel the same when the Chaddy finally goes. For me the Lookers going is not really like losing a second home as I only had 2 full seasons in there(though I will miss meeting all my mates for beers in the Royle post match, but it will be kind of like losing a metaphorical arm or something. It's always been there as the backdrop to the action from my seat in the Chaddy, a bit old, a bit run down but a dependable constant. I always used to try and spot my mate who sat in there with his dad when we were kids as a kind of pre match ritual thing!

It just wont be the same next year!

Come Off it Derek. You and I both know that wasnt the case for you most of the time. Constantly "wandering" off to the Royle bar for an hour and a half (usually just after the first away fans coach had arrived and coincidentally probably the time they start serving in the royle bar :grin:) whilst some poor bugger was left to stand out on a cold, wet and windy hill and take abuse off the select few ignorant away fans who seemed to want us to go pop.

I can safely bet you just propped yourself up at the bar as well.

Pfft :wink::grin::lol:

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Come Off it Derek. You and I both know that wasnt the case for you most of the time. Constantly "wandering" off to the Royle bar for an hour and a half (usually just after the first away fans coach had arrived and coincidentally probably the time they start serving in the royle bar :grin:) whilst some poor bugger was left to stand out on a cold, wet and windy hill and take abuse off the select few ignorant away fans who seemed to want us to go pop.

I can safely bet you just propped yourself up at the bar as well.

Pfft :wink::grin::lol:

The view from Lookers Paddock.....

BOUNDARYPARKOLDHAM1-1BRIGHTON.jpg

:cry:

The view from Lookers Paddock.....

BOUNDARYPARKOLDHAM1-1BRIGHTON.jpg

... If you were a goldfish.

I may be a heartless swine (demented mind) but I'm not feeling the overflowings of sadness yet. Perhaps it's because I've only really spent the last 5 years in there as a regular (preferring main stand paddock and chaddy end for the previous 20 years). Maybe it's due to being wet through about a dozen times this season, I dunno. I've always viewed the broadway stand as like, an ugly sister or something.

It may be distinctly different on Saturday, but I don't think there'll be a tear in my eye. In fact, I'm rather looking forward to next season in the opposite paddock.

I have always considered the Lookers to be my footballing home. My dad and I had season tickets in the upper tier for about 5 years from when I was about 12 years old. It will always be remembered as a place where spent quality time with my father after my parents divorce. My father is not the most emotional of men so the football was the only time I got to see any emotion in him and the only time I ever got a hug when we scored.

My favourite memory of the Lookers had to be that Neil Redfearn Penalty I was sat in the upper tier about 3 rows from the back and 6 seats in from the chaddy - I never had to guts to watch it I watched him run up and I put my hands over my eyes as he hit it and knew what happen by the crowd reaction. I remember it so vividly like it was yesterday. After the stand had cleared and the beer was flowing I went back up to the stand and spent 5 minutes just sat down hoping to see many mores like that - how cruel a mistress football is!

The worst moment was not a footballing one. About 10 years ago I was in the paddock when we played tranmere and we had a shot, my mate jumped up to celebrate and elbowed me right in the temple, he nearly knocked me head off - was seeing stars for the rest of the game. And the shot went wide.

My first game in the lookers was the 3 - 0 hammering of Walsall on their first season up in the old Division 2 on 05-11-1988. I was in the paddock and remember the away fans next to us on the left hand side (as you're looking out. There were massive F**koff barriers all around us, both next to us and in front of the pitch and we'd jump all over them as kids!

I sat up the in seats at the very back for about 10 years after that before moving to London then coming back and re-claiming my place at the back as a season ticket holder for the last 2 years with my nephew. Great memories of being in there, some of the best being the penalty to get promotion, the nicky henry goal against Arsenal to make it 3-1 and andy ritchies goal against scarborough to make it 7! and more recently spanking forest 5 nil. If you listen carefully to the old matches, you'll hear a kid shouting all the way through...that was me! When it was on the TV at the time after the game, I couldn't believe it was me cos i was convinced my voice was deeper! ha ha!

Great view from there, will miss it but enjoy the chaddy for a couple of years!

Only been in the Lookers for the last two seasons but wish I had moved earlier. The view is much better apart from the massive blind spot where the pillar just to the right of me is and I have had some right soakings despite the roof and when it isn't raining in you can't see for the sun getting in your eyes. I am sure there have been some games where I have had a snowflake get in my eye one minute then had to put my shades on the next. The seats are pretty crap, your knees hurt at the end of the match and the steps are uneven, whatever the builders were on when they put that stand up I wish they sold it in the Royle Bar!

Speaking of which, what a dump that place is, too small, doesn't serve beer half the time, won't pour you a drink and let it stand on the bar till the Nazi says you can drink it, whereever you stand people bump in to but I ain't half going to miss it. Not been in much this season as I have driven to nearly every game but it won't be the same without it. Can't beat a boozer where wherever you look is full of Latics fans.

When we went top of the table after beating Chavmere the whole bar stood still in silence whilst Sky Sports scrolled through the tables, we all knew we were top but it wasn't until the table was shown that an almighty roar went up, one of the best Latics supporting moments.

When that goal went in the whole place went mental, it was as if we had won the Champions League, absolutely brilliant to see the colour draining from their fans as we were celebrating. Same as when we thumped Forest.

That goal is my best memory from there, the AARRRGHHH is the second, that was hilarious! Then it would be the Eyresie testimonial and seeing Les back at BP, the back of the stand started on about his hair and giving him gip and his face just lit up and he started beaming and you could tell that he was as happy to be there as we were.

Gonna be sad tomorrow but hopefully it won't belong before we are back on that side of the pitch.

Edited by beag_teeets

I may be a heartless swine (demented mind) but I'm not feeling the overflowings of sadness yet. Perhaps it's because I've only really spent the last 5 years in there as a regular (preferring main stand paddock and chaddy end for the previous 20 years). Maybe it's due to being wet through about a dozen times this season, I dunno. I've always viewed the broadway stand as like, an ugly sister or something.

It may be distinctly different on Saturday, but I don't think there'll be a tear in my eye. In fact, I'm rather looking forward to next season in the opposite paddock.

In my time watching Latics, I have sat in Ford, Main and Chaddy (well, stood - never sat) Stands as my regular place of worship. The first match I went to, I was in the Ford stand with my Dad; then the ressies for a few years while I grew up enough to calm down; many years in there with Dad and brothers - recent years have been back in there too.

During that time I have lived in 9 different properties in this country as well as about 4 during 6 weeks in France (working holiday).

Like many have said, it has been a constant in their lives and somewhere that they have spent time with their Fathers (and Sons).

I'll certainly be sad to see the old girl go.

:cry:

:lookers:

My first ever Latics match was in the Lookers Paddock, it was about 1986 or 87 and I was about 6 or 7 years old. We played Portsmouth in a boring 0 -0 clash. I can’t remember much about the game except that Andy Goram played (my older mates kept on going on about it) and I was running up and down the terrace for most of it as I was bored.

Until about 2004 or so I spent most of my time outside the Lookers. In fact I probably went in there about 3 or 4 times prior to that year. In that time I went in the Chaddy (both standing and seating) for many years, the main stand (upper and lower) for about 3 or 4, the rocky (standing and seating) for a couple; and the vice presidents suite (2 games).

For the last 4 years, the Lookers Upper has become my home. The excellent view offered (bar the pillors) and the Royle Bar the main two reasons.

Best point in the last four seasons in the lookers – That last minute goal against the bindippers last season. Jumping up and down on the seat and nearly getting taken out by a little kid who decided to jump on me to celebrate from the row behind.

As stands go, The Lookers is decidedly below average, but in terms of character and rustic charm, it’s up there at the top of the tree. I’ll be sad to see it go.

Memories of the Lookers?

Rachel

Joanne and Leanne - and then Stacey too

:gorgeous:

Along with Ali and the older lady who ran the bar for years and years.

Ordering single Rum and getting a sly double every match for years...

Respekt to the Bar Staff who have looked after us so well over the years - low paid, but I reckon they did it for the attention :wink:

Same as, J.

I'm gutted that i'll no longer be able to sit in a stand I have done for most of my 'tics supporting days, but delighted at the fact i'll be able to go in the RRE. Every cloud and that.

I said my farewell to the Lookers at the Huddersfield game, seeing as i'd rather go and abuse the 6 fingered bury muppets tomorrow. A small part of me seems to think that for some reason, i'll still get to sit in it one more time before it actually goes. Perhaps when it's bulldozed and the realisation that it's gone finally hits home - then I guess that's when the true emotion will come out. Not been a fan of home games for quite a while now, but for some reason I still kept coming back time and again. It wasnt for the football most of the time - it definately wasnt for the pies (though possibly for the piegirl). There was just something about the stand which felt right - even if the place has been falling to peices for quite some time now. That Paddock and that last block has been my 2nd home for going on a decade.

Oh well. 30 years from now, i'll be still able to recall some of the memories and characters who sat near by and tell all the then young whipper snappers that this new state of the art stadium with it's fancy roof isnt a patch on getting pissed wet through on a tuesday night at home to brentford.

It's a shame to see 'Boundary Park' go. It was the first ground I ever went to in 1998 (i'm quite young). I feel sorry for the Paddock Army though, real shame for them lads.

Anyway I've only ever sat in the NSM once out of about 200+ games i've been watching through my life. The only times I sat in it was Oldham vs. Hudders Town - FA Cup 4th Round & Oldham vs. Hudders Town which we beat them 4-1. Not the best of stands but still Boundary Park is full of wierd and wonderful memories.

I'm more of a Chaddy lad myself though. I've virtually always sat there but sometimes had the odd occasion in the Georgy against Stoke and Stockport. I've had some brilliant memories in the Chaddy though. I went when we lost a bitter 7-1 to Cardiff City and against Barnsley in 2003 were Oldham put 2 goals in, in the last 10 minutes when we came back from 2-1 to win 3-2.

Well, farewell to the NSM (Lookers) I'll certainly miss it. :(

I was sat in the stand near the Rochdale rd end when the Ronnie Blair 'goal' against Man Utd wasn't seen by the Ref. we've all seen the photos since of the ball nestled in there near the stantion. I was beside myself. Then we went on to win through Maurice Whittle. I went down to the ground on the Monday and got Maurice ti sign my programme!

Would have been nice if the club could have got David Shaw & Jim Fryett back for the last game for the Ford Stand. After all they were the major reason it was built in the first place. Mind you I think Jim's living in America these days so his airfare may have been beyond us :unsure: Davids still local though.

Hee hee.

Bet you had forgotten about Clix mate.

Actually, one of my strongest memories of being in the lookers was that game when they gave out free "fisherman's Friend" before the game - god knows why, but I must have been about 12/13... just remember thousands of packets strewn accross the paddock floor (when it was standing) where every kid had got a pack, eaten 1, realised they were rank, and threw them away - great promotion!!!

Othe rmemories are actually very random, as i probably sat there between when I was 10-13... I remember strangely Cantona's debut as a sub against dirty Leeds, remember my dad telling me to watch him as he could be a bit special... how true that turned out to be... and also, I remember crying my bloomin eyes out when we got beat at home for the first time in 50 odd games.... think it was 2-0 to Sheff Utd, but cant quite remmeber - how things change eh??

Also... my first ever latics game was sat in the lookers... pre-season friendly V Hibs... about 85/86?? Goram was playing for us and they signed him soon after methinks...

Ah well... be weird looking at a good stand in a couple of years! :wink:

How ironic in this day and age where everyone is bemoaning the use of sponsors on grounds and stands that we all still refer to it as the lookers stand. It always will make me laugh.

Is my memory playing tricks on me or was it briefly known as the Martin's Stand in the early 80s prior to being the Lookers ?

I have an audio tape of the Radio Derby Commentary from a Latics v Derby match. The commentator, Graham Richards, says "It must be called The Lookers Stand because that is where the fans look at the pitch from." What a two-hat!

Is my memory playing tricks on me or was it briefly known as the Martin's Stand in the early 80s prior to being the Lookers ?

I have an audio tape of the Radio Derby Commentary from a Latics v Derby match. The commentator, Graham Richards, says "It must be called The Lookers Stand because that is where the fans look at the pitch from." What a two-hat!

Wasn't Lookers derived from Martins Motor Company? Not sure if it was MBO/Merger/Aquisition....

How ironic in this day and age where everyone is bemoaning the use of sponsors on grounds and stands that we all still refer to it as the lookers stand. It always will make me laugh.

Ford Stand for me......showing my age?