McDonald Signs for Aberdeen

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, I'd like him to stay but I think he will go. He must know that he would be a squad player in a team going for promotion? What is there to gain for the lad by staying here? If we go up, then I would expect the club to want to get rid of the squad players and bring in some quality for the Championship, meaning he'd either be asked to leave or rot in the reserves. He may as well go somewhere now whilst the offer's on the table.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love the guy to stay...he is a good, not 'very good', box-to-box midfielder and he's weighed in with goals from time to time. He'd do a job sitting on the bench and coming on from time to time, and filling in when we have the odd suspension or injury. I just think that perhaps it's best for his career if he goes - L1/mid-table SPL is his level, and he'll probably see that and move back north of the border.

He knows too he'll always get a great reception at BP if he chose to come back and visit :grin:

to me, the word "realistic" says it all, especially because its in " ". To me it says "we have offered him a contract for what we think he is worth, but he is asking for more".

then again i could be completely wrong. just how i read that press release on the official

to me, the word "realistic" says it all, especially because its in " ". To me it says "we have offered him a contract for what we think he is worth, but he is asking for more".

then again i could be completely wrong. just how i read that press release on the official

That's exactly what I thought when I read it.

No need to break the bank for Mcdonald, if he can get a better contract elsewhere then fair play to him.

Macca quote:

“I can’t say too much about things but I expect to speak to Aberdeen this week, but I would rather any further details were discussed with my agent at this stage.”

Sounds keen.

Where has the quote come from? I'm pretty sure he'll go and the merry go round will start again! I'd like him to stay but not too fussed either way as long as we can keep most of the squad together for the sake of continuity... Been far too many ins and outs over last few years and then the "gelling" argument gets raised again when we have a poor start!

yep. straight back and up there with all our other ex players! Why not just get the 'tics to join the SPL!! If Cardiff, Swansea and *ahem* Wrexham are in the English league, why can't we be in the scottish!! lol

No this would be a bad idea because we are no where near Scotland its a long way just going to Carlisle if anyone is to go to Scotland then its Carlisle lol.

It's quite reminiscent of the Haining situtaion, where we made an offer that reflected the role he would have in the squad with better players on the way in. I'd be sorry to see him go, I do agree with some comments on another thread that he makes a lot of good runs that aren't picked up on (or create space for others), he does more for the team than meets the eye. He has suffered from the loss and injuries of our more creative players this season, with a fit Liddell and KilkennyWellens around him and senior strikers like Hughes/Porter/Ricketts (well, we hoped anyway) in front of him there is a lot more for a player like him to work with. All the best to the lad if he does leave anyway, two of the most fantastic memories of my supporting career have come from his rubbish left foot.

yep. straight back and up there with all our other ex players! Why not just get the 'tics to join the SPL!! If Cardiff, Swansea and *ahem* Wrexham are in the English league, why can't we be in the scottish!! lol

No this would be a bad idea because we are no where near Scotland its a long way just going to Carlisle if anyone is to go to Scotland then its Carlisle.

:unsure:

:whoosh:

It's quite reminiscent of the Haining situtaion, where we made an offer that reflected the role he would have in the squad with better players on the way in. I'd be sorry to see him go, I do agree with some comments on another thread that he makes a lot of good runs that aren't picked up on (or create space for others), he does more for the team than meets the eye. He has suffered from the loss and injuries of our more creative players this season, with a fit Liddell and KilkennyWellens around him and senior strikers like Hughes/Porter/Ricketts (well, we hoped anyway) in front of him there is a lot more for a player like him to work with. All the best to the lad if he does leave anyway, two of the most fantastic memories of my supporting career have come from his rubbish left foot.

Exactly... he will always be a mini-legend at boundary park, for sparking two of the greatest celebrations seen since a certain penalty.... pretty sure he will go, and like haining, find that many players just dissapear in the mire of scottish football... he was a reseve for Killie, cant see him having much impact at aberdeen... As i sain previously, his highlights reel has caused another mediocre SPL club to be interested... forgetting 3 years ago he wasnt deemed good enough...

Good luck to the lad - theres no way he will stay.. he knows Shez is looking for better, might aswell start afresh... both us and Gmac...

.. however will never forget walking down the main road in liverpool singing "Na na nan na nan na na na Gary Mac Gary Mac, Gary Gary Mac!"

Where has the quote come from? I'm pretty sure he'll go and the merry go round will start again! I'd like him to stay but not too fussed either way as long as we can keep most of the squad together for the sake of continuity... Been far too many ins and outs over last few years and then the "gelling" argument gets raised again when we have a poor start!

It's from the Aberdeen Evening Express.

It's from the Aberdeen Evening Express.

How frequently is that read/wrong/used to stop your plate burning your legs?

forgetting 3 years ago he wasnt deemed good enough...

Sort of, their fans (I went on their website) were very divided about him when he left, not that dissimilar from Chris Taylor with us he was a home grown hero for some of them but others didn't see much in his game. He had been in and out of the team in his last season there, maybe the inconsistency showing there as well.

"A tally of five strikes this season places him 3rd in the club's goalscoring charts in 2007/08"

That's worrying to me or am I living in the past?

i think he will go,as shez has probably explained it to him that he likes him,but he is only going to get limited oppertunitys,could be that shez has already got a replacement lined up and will be better as he knows it may have to appease certain fans.

I think that you are bang on there. i would be sad to see him go as i liked him but as has been said further down the board he was a good not very good player. I think it's a bit of an indictment on the state of the SPL when the general concensus on here is that he would be unlikely to be a regular in our League One side next year yet one of their middling to top sides is after him.

I think that you are bang on there. i would be sad to see him go as i liked him but as has been said further down the board he was a good not very good player. I think it's a bit of an indictment on the state of the SPL when the general concensus on here is that he would be unlikely to be a regular in our League One side next year yet one of their middling to top sides is after him.

according to the aberdeen website he is at pittadorie this morning.

Aberdeen have confirmed that Oldham Athletic midfielder Gary McDonald has signed a pre-contract agreement with the Pittodrie club that will see him become a Don when his current contract expires in the summer.

The 26 year old former Kilmarnock player has turned down a new offer from the Latics to return to Scotland and will put pen to a two year deal in the north east.

McDonald has played 91 times for Oldham since joining from Killie on a free transfer in the summer of 2006, scoring 12 times, including the spectacular winner in the Boundary Park's shock FA Cup victory over Everton earlier this season.

The midfielder, who can play on the right or in the centre, spent five years at Rugby Park, making 116 appearances and in the debut for the Scotland 'Futures' team three years ago, he scored against Poland.

Gary is delighted that his future has been sorted out. "I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at Oldham and was made a good offer to stay. However, the lure of returning to the SPL with such a great club as Aberdeen was a major factor in my decision and I can't wait for the new season to get underway."

He will go back to Jockland. Thanks Gary but not the biggest loss we have had. Next....

Whilst I agree, the biggest loss will be his 12 goals over the last two seasons from centre-mid. Something we have been short of over the last few years, since Dux and Murray really.

To bring it into context if Macca hadn't scored his goals how could the game's outcome been theoretically affected?

06-07

Scunny at home scored only goal in a 1-0 win (2 points)

Brentford at Home second goal in a 3-0 win

Cheltenham away crucial second goal that proved to be the winner (2 points)

All important first goal in the 3-0 win at Huddersfield

Ditto vs Northampton in a 3-0 home win

Match-saving injury time strike vs Scunny (1 point)

Winner vs Yeovil (2 points)

07-08

Winner at Donny in the FAC

Winner at Everton in the FAC (Ledge)

Brace vs Carlisle, giving us our first win in 4 months at home (2 points)

All important 1st goal vs Yeovil

So as you can see from that, when he scores it is influential. Out of 11 games Macca scored in for us we didn't lose, winning 10 drawing 1 and out of his 12 goals for the club 5 came away. Given our away record since Christmas that is something we definitely need to improve on away from BP. We have scored 8 goals in 11 games, 6 of those coming in two games at Leeds and Port Vale and only one of those coming from midfield (jarrett at Donny). To sum up a agoalscoring midfielder is a must and may be harder to find than we think, although JJ may be an option.

Aberdeen have confirmed that Oldham Athletic midfielder Gary McDonald has signed a pre-contract agreement with the Pittodrie club that will see him become a Don when his current contract expires in the summer.

The 26 year old former Kilmarnock player has turned down a new offer from the Latics to return to Scotland and will put pen to a two year deal in the north east.

McDonald has played 91 times for Oldham since joining from Killie on a free transfer in the summer of 2006, scoring 12 times, including the spectacular winner in the Boundary Park's shock FA Cup victory over Everton earlier this season.

The midfielder, who can play on the right or in the centre, spent five years at Rugby Park, making 116 appearances and in the debut for the Scotland 'Futures' team three years ago, he scored against Poland.

Gary is delighted that his future has been sorted out. "I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at Oldham and was made a good offer to stay. However, the lure of returning to the SPL with such a great club as Aberdeen was a major factor in my decision and I can't wait for the new season to get underway."