McDonald Signs for Aberdeen

For ages people on this board have been saying we need a new midfielder who is much more of a passer than what we currently have, plus a winger/wide player (preferably Left sided). That's two new players in a midfield where Gary Mac isn't necessarily a starter if everyone is fit. I'd guess since we signed him when other clubs were supposed to be after him he will be on a decent wage (not huge but not small) and him leaving has made that money availible. I think this could be a very good move for both parties as he will probably end up playing in Europe in his time there (something we could never offer him) and we take the wages of a squad player off the bill to allow us to bring in other people to give us what we need. Plus having seen a little bit of Chalmers now I think he is a very similar player to Gary Mac (someone that runs a lot and is quite good in the air) and he looks more than capable of playing more games in this divison to cover for some of the games we might have needed Gary Mac to have played in (if we DO sign the extra players mentioned) and a fraction of the cost.

Good Luck to him and he will always be a legend at BP for that goal at Scunthorpe and that goal at Everton, plus he has left in a decent way and hasn't messed us around.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah well. I don't think he would have played that major role next season, anyway. He was useful, but only witha goal threat as I see it. He didn't have a bite about him, and I believe that we can replace him with better player.

Gary Mac or Kalala? guess who we've get left? For me Gary Mac would be better being here should we need to start him in the event this BETTER player doesn't materialize as is often the case!

Great minds eh Sheridan! spoke to soon.

Whilst I agree, the biggest loss will be his 12 goals over the last two seasons from centre-mid. Something we have been short of over the last few years, since Dux and Murray really.

To bring it into context if Macca hadn't scored his goals how could the game's outcome been theoretically affected?

06-07

Scunny at home scored only goal in a 1-0 win (2 points)

Brentford at Home second goal in a 3-0 win

Cheltenham away crucial second goal that proved to be the winner (2 points)

All important first goal in the 3-0 win at Huddersfield

Ditto vs Northampton in a 3-0 home win

Match-saving injury time strike vs Scunny (1 point)

Winner vs Yeovil (2 points)

07-08

Winner at Donny in the FAC

Winner at Everton in the FAC (Ledge)

Brace vs Carlisle, giving us our first win in 4 months at home (2 points)

All important 1st goal vs Yeovil

So as you can see from that, when he scores it is influential. Out of 11 games Macca scored in for us we didn't lose, winning 10 drawing 1 and out of his 12 goals for the club 5 came away. Given our away record since Christmas that is something we definitely need to improve on away from BP. We have scored 8 goals in 11 games, 6 of those coming in two games at Leeds and Port Vale and only one of those coming from midfield (jarrett at Donny). To sum up a agoalscoring midfielder is a must and may be harder to find than we think, although JJ may be an option.

It does leave you with some turmoil when you produce facts and figures like above. I've always maintained that when Gary Mc played well, the whole team did. Was it the team playing well making him improve or vice versa....it's the chicken and the egg question. But yep, he was influential at times. Just not enough....I wanted him to do what he does so much more. But his level is just below that of a side to gain promotion. I hope JJ signs as his replacement as I think a fit Jarett will be McD times 2. I hope.....but Gary Mc, although I nicknamed him Casper in a light hearted affectionate way, will be a legend to me. Just for that goal....ala Vernon is for us.

Good luck McD! You've always given 100% even if sometimes it wasn't quite enough.

To be fair Lags, I don't think we'll lose that many this close season. I think we MAY try and offload Kalala and Thommo (to be honest I wouldn't mind seeing Thommo fit and playing next season - he can't just have become crap overnight).

He hasn't...he's always been crap...hence my concern over his signing last July. Still waiting (and hoping) to be proven wrong.