Strike Partnership Next Season

i'd go for

Hughes up front,

Allesandra just behind,

Taylor on the right, dropping back when needed.

Davies on the left, dangerous taking people on and cutting inside (but still needs to learn when to pass or shoot).

I do reckon Taylor would make a good centre forward though

Rumours rumours rumours blah blah blah..I know

From and ex Latic who is still active in footy in the area

Hughes's personal circumstances have not gone as he'd hoped at all since he came out and he thinks there is a strong possibility he won't be at the club next season.

P19 W9 D8 L2 equates to a full season of P46 W22 D19 L5 = 85 points (3 more than the promoted Forest, 6 fewer than Leeds would have got in 'normal circumstances').

3rd place behind Swansea and Leeds, and Hughes wasn't fully fit for a number of the games.

Hold on, the stats are good, but there are three defeats there. Record should be W8 D8 L3.

Hold on, the stats are good, but there are three defeats there. Record should be W8 D8 L3.

Spot on. I won't admit to being an analyst for a living!

I also missed out the Orient defeat now, so the Hughes / Davies partnership recalculated for the Duckworth Lewis method only gives us 73 points for a season.

I've made a timed amendment to the original post admitting my incompetence and will make arrangements for the appropriate number of hail marys on Sunday.

The question still stands though !

i'd go for

Hughes up front,

Allesandra just behind,

Taylor on the right, dropping back when needed.

Davies on the left, dangerous taking people on and cutting inside (but still needs to learn when to pass or shoot).

I do reckon Taylor would make a good centre forward though

OK, that has to be a whoosh, unless you mean at the council house where he would equally be as much of a laughing stock, but it would be funny seeing them get relegated with that soft arse up top.

Taylor centre forward, Ha! My primary school had tougher players than him.

Sell, sell, sell, sell him for peanuts. Real ones, KP though and dry roasted. He is crap!

KtF,

Derek.

OK, that has to be a whoosh, unless you mean at the council house where he would equally be as much of a laughing stock, but it would be funny seeing them get relegated with that soft arse up top.

Taylor centre forward, Ha! My primary school had tougher players than him.

Sell, sell, sell, sell him for peanuts. Real ones, KP though and dry roasted. He is crap!

KtF,

Derek.

20 games out of 55 we failed to score, and not all of them were down to strikers being absent, injured etc... So for some to say we don't need another striker is laughable. We've been crying out for a big lad up front all season (Ricketts was just a bad dream) and a big lump may well have been the difference in securing a play off spot. I'd go as far as saying lets get two in. Wolfy will go imo, maybe not pre-season but by Chrimbo. Smalley is not a striker he's a winger. Far more dangerous out wide. So that leaves Hughes, Davies and Lewi who all have had lengthy spells out this season. I'd love us to bring in a nippy little sod and the much fabled big lump. Competiton for places and cover for injuries is paramount for a promotion chasing team. Look at the options Forest and Swansea had, they used the loan market cleverly. Making do with what we have has cost us in the last three seasons.

Edited by oafcprozac

20 games out of 55 we failed to score, and not all of them were down to strikers being absent, injured etc... So for some to say we don't need another striker is laughable. We've been crying out for a big lad up front all season (Ricketts was just a bad dream) and a big lump may well have been the difference in securing a play off spot. I'd go as far as saying lets get two in. Wolfy will go imo, maybe not pre-season but by Chrimbo. Smalley is not a striker he's a winger. Far more dangerous out wide. So that leaves Hughes, Davies and Lewi who all have had lengthy spells out this season. I'd love us to bring in a nippy little sod and the much fabled big lump. Competiton for places and cover for injuries is paramount for a promotion chasing team. Look at the options Forest and Swansea had, they used the lone market cleverly. Making do with what we have has cost us in the last three seasons.

I get what you're saying. However, I certainly don't want to see a big lad come in, because it promotes a very negative style of football. Jason Scotland at Swansea isn't tall, he's actually very small, but he's extremely strong; I believe we have this in Lewi. He's quick and powerful, and he certainly has the ability to hold off the defenders, but also get in and behind them, very much like Scotland.

Furthermore, Swansea went up playing excellent football for the majority of the season. Scotland practically remained injury-free for the entire season, and scored 24 goals. We've also got Hughesy who is very strong, he doesn't have the pace, but he can get the ball out wide to Taylor/Smalley/Liddell whichever it may be, or down the middle to Davies or Lewi, who have the pace.

We need the depth, but I certainly think we can build the side on from it's current position, play some good stuff, and top the table at the end of May without bringing in some big, clumsy sod who will be there just to win the flick-ons.

Whether or not Lewi or Smalley has learned enough this season remains to be seen, but in my opinion, they'll both potentially play an important role next year if they do build on this season's valuable experience.

Look at the options Forest and Swansea had, they used the lone market cleverly. Making do with what we have has cost us in the last three seasons.

Or had the financial clout to get decent players on loan?

Let's not forget we got five players in on loan since around the end of January so we clearly put the effort to get some in. Sadly finance dictates that these can't be of a (known) top notch level like a Will Hoskins or Brett Ormerod.

I get what you're saying. However, I certainly don't want to see a big lad come in, because it promotes a very negative style of football. Jason Scotland at Swansea isn't tall, he's actually very small, but he's extremely strong; I believe we have this in Lewi. He's quick and powerful, and he certainly has the ability to hold off the defenders, but also get in and behind them, very much like Scotland.

Furthermore, Swansea went up playing excellent football for the majority of the season. Scotland practically remained injury-free for the entire season, and scored 24 goals. We've also got Hughesy who is very strong, he doesn't have the pace, but he can get the ball out wide to Taylor/Smalley/Liddell whichever it may be, or down the middle to Davies or Lewi, who have the pace.

We need the depth, but I certainly think we can build the side on from it's current position, play some good stuff, and top the table at the end of May without bringing in some big, clumsy sod who will be there just to win the flick-ons.

Whether or not Lewi or Smalley has learned enough this season remains to be seen, but in my opinion, they'll both potentially play an important role next year if they do build on this season's valuable experience.

I'm not necessarily saying "let's sign a big lump and go long", i'm more of the opinion that a big striker who is good in the air and strong enough to effectivelyhold the ball up is something different to what we already have, as is a little nippy sod who can spring the offside trap, ok Davies can do that to a degree but for me he isn't THAT quick. Look at how well Parker did it for the lashers. Back to the big guy, there's going to be a lot of big strong teams in this league next year. The Mongs, Leicester, Northampton, etc... Forest bored their way to promotion by grinding out and bullying results their way. Yes, we are more than capable of playing teams off the park, but it is just as important to be able to grind out results when the total football isn't making any headway. Although we look fondly back at the Championship season of 90/91, a lot of it wasn't pretty and not a patch on the pinch me season. BUT the spine of the team were all big lads in Hallworth, Jobson, Redfearn, Marshall, Holden all standing at nearly or over 6' tall. Anyhow just my view and i'm sure Shez will reveal his hand sooner rather than later.

Edited by oafcprozac

I know he was playing Everton and it was his chance to show he could still do it with the big boys, but, Hughes ran his ass off for 90 mins, chased lost hopes into the corner flag etc. He made a couple of chances from nothing with his tenacity and strength and even a bit of pace. If he could do that for an injury free season then u could put me up front with him and we'd still do ok! Ok, ok, maybe not me, maybe someone a little better, like Mavis off corrie or someone......

Hughes + Davies or Lewis for me. Save the money for a good midfielder as we've now got Wellens, Killkenny and Macca to replace!!