Student ST's?!

Concern over 'student call girls'

Student leaders have dismissed the story

Cambridge dons have expressed concern over a report that some students are working as prostitutes.

Cambridge University's student newspaper Varsity quotes a female student who says she earned money as a call girl in her first year.

Mark Fletcher, head of the Cambridge University Students' Union, said the article dealt with "isolated cases".

Senior tutors said they were concerned to read the report, which also claims that students sold essays.

Varsity said it had spoken to one student who said she spent her first year working as a £50-an-hour call girl to fund an extravagant lifestyle.

Mark Fletcher, of the students' union, said he was not aware of any students working as prostitutes.

"What it seems to be talking about is very isolated cases," he said.

"I was slightly surprised to read about this.

"Varsity seems to have put together a few stories they have heard in the past."

The magazine also said a "plethora" of undergraduates was raising money by selling essays.

Financial difficulties

Rob Wallach, secretary of the university's senior tutors' committee, said he was "very concerned" by the prostitution claims.

He added: "Senior tutors would want to do everything they could to give support to students well before any found themselves in such a situation."

And Dr Wallach said the university "strongly discouraged" students from selling essays.

Mr Fletcher said Cambridge students had plenty of support available if they got into financial difficulties.

Last year, research by Kingston University in south-west London suggested there had been a growth in the numbers of students earning money through prostitution or in other parts of the sex industry.

Lets just say I have heard a few stories about one or two of my residents

I am a student and I think that even having to pay extra to become a 'student member' is a total joke. I chose my university (Salford) because it was close enough to Oldham (true story!) to get to home games and as of next year I'll have to fork out full pay for a Season Ticket when I cannot realistically get a job.

It's fine for those who aren't at Uni saying 'get a part-time job' etc; but the reality is that from October I'll be in lectures for three to six hours a day and expected to get involved with local politics and the student paper. There just isn't time to get a part-time job really.

Not to mention that if I did get a job I'd get less of a loan and no maintainance grants or bursary. Which would instantly see me £3600 out of pocket!

I think the students get such a raw deal at Latics, my girlfriend wanted to come to watch a game, but would have had to pay £13 to register as a student. (£13 a year!) so to watch one game would have worked out at £24.

It's a complete joke, I think.

And it's easy to police, bring along your letter of confirmation from UCAS and then get a photocard or something to entitle you to concessions.

I was so mad at this when it was first brought to my attention, but as I can get an intermediary ticket at the moment its not such a problem.

Keep the Faith

I want a single white mid-thirties male in an average earning job discount card. NOW, or I won't be able to afford some other stuff that has no relevance to Latics.

Very true! This sector of society is always overlooked it makes my blood boil!

I want a single white mid-thirties male in an average earning job discount card. NOW, or I won't be able to afford some other stuff that has no relevance to Latics.

:lol: I agree with your idea in principle although I'd have to change the single to married and mid-thirties to mid-forties. :wink:

Racist, sexist ageist bigot.

Can you pick me one of them up when you go down to collect?

And it's easy to police, bring along your letter of confirmation from UCAS and then get a photocard or something to entitle you to concessions.

And the blokes on the turnstyles are going to inspect the photocard every week are they? IT would be a piece of piss to get around.

That's what they do now LL.

In theory or practice? Genuine question, it’s just that they don’t exactly insist on seeing you take the ticket out of your book like they are meant to, so I wonder how closely they would check ID, if at all? Anyway, aren’t there always loads of dodgy NUS cards floating around like there were when I was a lad?

In theory or practice? Genuine question, it’s just that they don’t exactly insist on seeing you take the ticket out of your book like they are meant to, so I wonder how closely they would check ID, if at all? Anyway, aren’t there always loads of dodgy NUS cards floating around like there were when I was a lad?

Well it's not an NUS card, it's a rather large laminated piece of paper with a massive OAFC written next to a pritt sticked photo (the fact they won't just accept an NUS card drives me mental, mainly because it means I can't really bring City/Manure mates along as they won't pay 20 quid to watch L1). I don't know how much attention they pay...I always put my eleven quid under the cage thing with the card and then they look at the card and give it back to me. Whether they do that or not because they feel they should do as it's in front of them, I don't know. If I just flashed the card at them, I don't know what they'd do.

Re: the dodgy NUS cards...well like I said the club only accept the ugly cards they issue at the start of the season for £13. To get one, you need a letter from your university as proof that you are in FT education. I guess it's quite well policed. Fortunately you just need a NUS card when paying on the gate away, ideal as for some reason Notts forgot to put an expiry date on the cards last year so I can just use it forever...