dissapointed XI

We've had a crack at fave XI, how about a team of players you expected to do well but just didnt cut the mustard for one reason or another.....

manager - graeme sharpe

Goram - when he came back age 48!

forbes - really dont need to say anything here.....

makin - will upset some but never rated him and was gobsmacked at some of teams he played in!

thompson - nah, sorry

billy kenny - bags of talent but ended up sacked!

carlos rocca - didnt get his chance but expected him to explode onto the scene after seeing him play pre-season a few years back

wes wilkinson ? Dude from non league bout 2 years back, started off ace but fell away.... think thats his name

sean macarthy - fell over too much

ian olney - injured too much

michael rickets - pretensious too much!

I know its not a full team but theres probably loads of them that weve forgotten because they were so bad or our minds are blocking them out!

What was he called from bolton who left the ground after being subbed? :bigcry:

And alan smart - cant remember if he was a midfielder or a forward or just a barman? :jailed:

We've had a crack at fave XI, how about a team of players you expected to do well but just didnt cut the mustard for one reason or another.....

manager - graeme sharpe

Goram - when he came back age 48!

sean macarthy - fell over too much

To be fair, I think Sharp was on a hiding to nothing with the "cost cutting" he was forced to do.

McCarthy did ok in the Prem - he was probably 'punching above his weight' (or was that Ron Futcher?!?) and was built up as a legend by success-starved Bratford fans..

Goram, shouldn't have come back!

Apart from that, good list and you can add Paul Moulden to it...

And the "taxi driver" keeper who was brilliant before he signed for us - think his name was "Lucky" or summat... :grin:

Paul Moulden! Forgotten all about him, he was in the record books for something or other wasnt he! And Nicky Banger.... god theyre all flooding back now! Ex-derker here too martjs......

Paul Moulden! Forgotten all about him, he was in the record books for something or other wasnt he! And Nicky Banger.... god theyre all flooding back now! Ex-derker here too martjs......

Whereabouts on Derker? I was on Vulcan Street, Stoneleigh park end.

Moulden should be in our record books for worst goals for pounds spent or summat like that!

And Banger, yes good one. Must be loads more when Big Joe splashed the cash! (He was great when he had none). Killer Kilcline? WTF. :shock:

Apart from that, good list and you can add Paul Moulden to it...

Had a bit of sympathy for Moulden.

If memory serves me right, during our promotion to the top flight, all them years ago, he scored 3 goals in 3 games early in that season but was dropped to accomodate that greedy, useless lump - David 'chicken' Currie.

Perhaps some-one with access to that years stats can confirm.

John Keeley

Wayne Heseltine

Neil Moore

Mark Arber

Nicky Spooner

Matthew Rush

John Gannon

Mike Fillery

John Morrow

David Currie

Scott McGarvey

Subs:

Chris Day

Steve Whitehall

David Reeves

Lee Sinnott

Toddy Orlyggsson

Manager: Ronnie Moore/Neil Warnock

John Keeley

Wayne Heseltine

Neil Moore

Mark Arber

Nicky Spooner

Matthew Rush

John Gannon

Mike Fillery

John Morrow

David Currie

Scott McGarvey

Subs:

Chris Day

Steve Whitehall

David Reeves

Lee Sinnott

Toddy Orlyggsson

Manager: Ronnie Moore/Neil Warnock

When Reeves was on loan and we played against Bury he was immense, reminded me of Gabriel Batistuta!

Then once he had his contract he was rubbish.

footballers eh?

Had a bit of sympathy for Moulden.

If memory serves me right, during our promotion to the top flight, all them years ago, he scored 3 goals in 3 games early in that season but was dropped to accomodate that greedy, useless lump - David 'chicken' Currie.

Perhaps some-one with access to that years stats can confirm.

Moulden and Currie were used as back up to Ritchie and Marshall during the Championship season, with Ritchie or Marshall regularly sidelined they got their chances regularly up to Christmas. Moulden had his fair share of niggles too. Both had scored 4 goals before Christmas (Moulden scored 3 in 3 all at BP vs Swindon, Blackburn and Notts County in the cup, he also bagged one in the 2-0 home win vs Ipswich a few weeks later), neither scored again that season. Currie was sold in August 1991, whilst Moulden spent most of 1991/92 out injured, he did score a late consolation on the final day vs City in a 5-2 defeat. During 92/93 again he spent a lot of the season injured and out of favour. When Graeme Sharp was ruled out for the season he did make a few appearances, ironically during our goalless run throughout January and February. He made little impact and was dropped, with Darren Beckford arriving soon after, He never played for the club again and was released in 1993.

When Reeves was on loan and we played against Bury he was immense, reminded me of Gabriel Batistuta!

Then once he had his contract he was rubbish.

footballers eh?

"on loan... he was immense.... Then once he had his contract he was rubbish." That's a totally separate category (or maybe a sub-category) ! How many times have we said that about a player at Latics?!?

Keeley - yes, that was Lucky's real name. He was immense when he played against us (I think I've just thought of another sub-category) "You must have come in a taxi" :grin:

"Chicken" Currie - that was cos of the incident with Schmeichal at Old Trafford wasn't it?

Chris Day

Mark Arber

Stuart Balmer

Terrel Forbes

John Thompson

Richard Butcher

Moussa Dabo

Rodney Jack

Michael Clegg

Allan Smart

Michael Ricketts

SUbs:

Lance Cronin

Chris Swailes

Rob Scott

Matty Wolfenden

Matty Appleby

Manager: Andy Ritchie

4-4-poo formation.

GK - Chris Day (Ace at QPR, horrifying when he was here, the odd game aside. Yes, just what we needed - a badly inconsistant keeper absolutely petrified of crosses.)

RB - Michael Clegg (Played in the Champions League y'know. Based on what we saw of him, Gordon Lawton could play in the Champions League)

CD - Danny Hall (Lots of promise, never fulfilled)

CD - Brian Kilcline (Legendary FA Cup winning captain with Coventry. Neanderthol-like liability with us)

LB - Marc Tierney (Came back from Carlisle as the answer to all our left-back problems. Had about 2 great games and, errr, lots of crap ones)

LW - Mark Innes (Looked like Messi in his first few games. Looked just messy in every other thereafter)

CM - John Kelly (...Is the weatherman! Should have been a fricking weatherman)

CM - Neil McDonald (We spent HALFAMILLIONFúCKINGQUID on this useless lump. Slinked off to Noblot on a free when we went down)

RW - Matthew Rush (Anyone called Rush just smells of goals, right? Nah. After one of the best debuts I've ever seen he got injured and shouldn't have ever stepped on a pitch thereafter. Only he did and proceeded to stroll about doing absolutely nothing for the rest of his short career with us)

CF - Paul Moulden (Everything he touched turned into goals at Citeh. Everything he touched here turned into raw sewage)

CF - David Currie (A goal machine over at Barnsley and constant thorn in our side. Scored ONE brilliant goal for us, did practically nothing else and further endeared himself by completely bottling a one-on-one challenge with Schmeichel at Old Trafford. C**t.)

Subs:

David Beharall ("Yes. What we do in the Premier League see, is we give strikers 20 yards of space to get the ball and turn and run at us.")

Phil Starbuck (Ooh, he used to play for Forest under Brian Clough. He must be good, right?)

Rob Scott (Diamond-encrusted debut against Yeovil on the opening day of '05-'06. Err, just crusty every other time)

Craig Dudley (Fast. Very Fast. But nothing else.)

Bruce Grobbelaar (Why? Why? WHY?!!)

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Some good lists on here but the one player who really stands out to me as a massive disappointment is Paul Moulden.

When he first arrived at BP with his legendary schoolboy goalscoring records etc, I was really excited about what we could expect from this goalscoring machine.

The answer was pretty much nothing he was an absolute shadow of the goalscorer I was expecting, even now I'm still disappointed at his exploits here.

Jermaine :censored: Johnson - always my answer on threads like this... so much talent, so little motivation, similar stories with Kevin betsy and Josh Low - some rated him but I just thought he was utterly headless...

The King has to be David Currie though... I remember I used to shout at the ref as a nipper to send him off and give us a break... utterly terrible...

... oh and honorary mention for Moussa Dabo... our cutured french playmaker?? I'd also put Kilkenny in here.. never showed what he could do then chose to sod off...

... oh, and of course - Andy Liddell... one of the most hyped signings of recent times, delivered for 3 months in three years... heres to another season Andy!

Edited by BigfinLatic

Jermaine :censored: Johnson - always my answer on threads like this... so much talent, so little motivation, similar stories with Kevin betsy and Josh Low - some rated him but I just thought he was utterly headless...

The King has to be David Currie though... I remember I used to shout at the ref as a nipper to send him off and give us a break... utterly terrible...

... oh and honorary mention for Moussa Dabo... our cutured french playmaker?? I'd also put Kilkenny in here.. never showed what he could do then chose to sod off...

... oh, and of course - Andy Liddell... one of the most hyped signings of recent times, delivered for 3 months in three years... heres to another season Andy!

Killkenny?? He was awesome for us!!!!

And didnt Lids play his full first season ?

Killkenny?? He was awesome for us!!!!

And didnt Lids play his full first season ?

Kilkenny.. was he?? In his first spell he was a cocky kid who got away with a lot as no-one knew who he was... he made some players look stupid, however it was all potential... he returned 3 years later after failing to become the player he could be (he should have ade it at top champ/prem), and looked very average at time... his only 'awesome' game was against Leeds... and that is history...

As for Liddell, yes he did play his first season... however 3 months in three years refers to his positive contribution, not playing time...

Also... have to add on Chris Killen... Mr Indestructable himself... when he was on the pitch he banged them in... he was just never on the pitch...

I suppose you could say the same about hughes so far then :o

:lol:

Yeah, but hughes hasnt done it for 3 seasons on £6k a week so far! Also hughes repeatedly played with Niggles when he could... Mr Killen pilled out of the team if he had a broken toe-nail....

As i've said before.. hughes has to prove it for 30-40 games minimum next season, or he could be ultimately judged a dissapointment...