Biggest Changing Moments In our history

IF we got relegated after losing to Southampton on the final day of the great escape season

IF John Sheridan hadnt made THAT challenge giving us the division one title

IF Corazzin had scored instead of hitting the bar against qpr in the play off semis at there place

IF Hughes had of hit the bar in the FA cup semi

IF we lost to reading on the final day of the season, getting relegated to the basement division

There are so many important moments in our history that define what OAFC is today. but if they happened a slightly different way, could we be far better or even far worse off than we are now? If we had got relegated in the great escape season, would we have bounced straight back up? or would we have dropped like a stone like we eventually did anyway?

I had this conversation some weeks ago in the pub before a game, and people opinions vary wildly. The thread about The guardian artical just brought it back to me.

Can't be bothered reading the whole threat and I am sure this has been mentioned but I really wish Mark Hughes volley had hit the bar :angry: . Beginning of the end for me :( !!! If we had won that game european football was a very real possibility plus after losing the replay at Maine road morale was so low we didn't win another game in the league including several games in hand which could have taken us out of the relegation zone.

To conclude I think winning the man u game would have extended the glory years for a few more whilst delaying the inevitable slide down the football leagues :disappointed:

Having said that if becket hadn't put in such a wonderful cross to set up the winner against bradford at home and keep us in the league 1 we could so easily had been playing league 2 football: and I for 1 do not believe it would have been as easy as some believe to get out of the basement league :grin:

Edited by laticsmad

You've all missed the biggy - Gavrilo Princip hadn't been brought up a Huddersfield fan due to his uncle having been on a Serbia - Yorkshire exchange trip, then he wouldn't have murdered the Archduke Franz Ferdinand so as to set in motion the chain of events that led to WW1 at a time when Oldham had recently made the FA Cup semis and been runners up in the First Division, destroying all of our momentum towards footballing supremacy.

Can't blame Hughes, doing his job, so how about

If Graeme Sharp hadn't missed that absolute sitter minutes earlier to put us 2-0 and finish them off?

Mark Hughes's goal was one of the greatest goals I have ever been priveledged to witness live.

Sharp had 4 yards to aim at virtually standing on the goal line and missed. If the lazy tw@ had put it away, we would have had an extra 2 or 3 years in the premiership and the FA Cup in the trophy cabinet.

If his name was Gordon Smith, his infamy would be even more legendary.

I have never forgiven him for that. Subsequent efforts as both a player and more so as a manager did little to lift his credibility in my eyes.

Heres another one. If Graeme Sharp's pen had run out of ink............

Edited by L1onheart

Mark Hughes's goal was one of the greatest goals I have ever been priveledged to witness live.

he miss-kicked it, hes admitted as much hasnt he?

what if he had missed, we could have lost in the cup final and still have been relegated.

and be exactly where we are right now, this was our desitny unfortunatly

A few that seemed to have been missed

According to his autobiography Joe Royle was offered the chance to sign David Batty as a youngster but apparently we weren't able to afford it?

What if Paul scholes had preffered our youth set up to Uniteds?

What if Micah Richards hadn't gone to city?

What if Sharp had of signed Sammi Hypia?

what if TTA had bought the club instead of Chris Moore back in 2001?

What if at the begining of last season we signed Andy Morrell instead of him going to Blackpool?

What if we had kept Ronnie Moore as manager back in june 2006 (That old Chestnut)

What if we hadn't all gone on the march just last year the stadium development would fall through and TTA would have been looking to sell up?

What if Chris Porter and Richie Wellens had stayed this season?

There is a few to get your teeth into I'm sure I could think of plenty more.

You've all missed the biggy - Gavrilo Princip hadn't been brought up a Huddersfield fan due to his uncle having been on a Serbia - Yorkshire exchange trip, then he wouldn't have murdered the Archduke Franz Ferdinand so as to set in motion the chain of events that led to WW1 at a time when Oldham had recently made the FA Cup semis and been runners up in the First Division, destroying all of our momentum towards footballing supremacy.

I was going to say something about WW1, glad i didn't cos i wouldn't have put it half as well as that. :grin:

he miss-kicked it, hes admitted as much hasnt he?

I wish I could miss - kick goals like that.

At the time, we didnt know that. In the context of the game, it was the greatest goal I have ever seen live. The whole of our section went ######, then applauded.

Pleased to see you didnt disagree with my sharper point though :D

Edited by L1onheart

At the time, we didnt know that. In the context of the game, it was the greatest goal I have ever seen live. The whole of our section went ######, then applauded.

:shock: WTF.

I obviously wasn't in your section as I went ###### and then

###### and then ###### and I at no point did I applaud, I'm still moaning about it now 14 years on (as you can see).

It was a good strike though. :grin::wink:

Sharp had 4 yards to aim at virtually standing on the goal line and missed. If the lazy tw@ had put it away, we would have had an extra 2 or 3 years in the premiership and the FA Cup in the trophy cabinet.

If his name was Gordon Smith, his infamy would be even more legendary.

I have never forgiven him for that. Subsequent efforts as both a player and more so as a manager did little to lift his credibility in my eyes.

Heres another one. If Graeme Sharp's pen had run out of ink............

What if Joe Royle had recommended Andy Ritchie as his successor instead of Graeme Sharp?

:shock: WTF.

I obviously wasn't in your section as I went ###### and then

###### and then ###### and I at no point did I applaud, I'm still moaning about it now 14 years on (as you can see).

Outside the tube station at Wembley last Saturday, those post-match feelings following THAT goal, and the inevitability that we would lose the replay, came back to haunt me once again. :thinking2:

What if Joe Royle had recommended Andy Ritchie as his successor instead of Graeme Sharp?

Wouldn't have made any difference!!! Just another great player who can't cut it as a manager!!!

The board would still have told him to cut costs by getting rid of anybody earning more than £3.50p per week and replacing them with the league's scrapings on £1.20 per week.

Wouldn't have made any difference!!! Just another great player who can't cut it as a manager!!!

The board would still have told him to cut costs by getting rid of anybody earning more than £3.50p per week and replacing them with the league's scrapings on £1.20 per week.

So are you saying that Ritchie is a carbon compy of Mr Silence and Charisma Graeme Sharp!!! Sharp said in his autobiography that he got rid of Ritchie as he was too much of a personality in the dressing room who would oppose him. Ritchie would not have stood by whilst the clubs silver got sold off, whilst Sharp even though not happy to do so didn't actually do anything about it.

So are you saying that Ritchie is a carbon compy of Mr Silence and Charisma Graeme Sharp!!! Sharp said in his autobiography that he got rid of Ritchie as he was too much of a personality in the dressing room who would oppose him. Ritchie would not have stood by whilst the clubs silver got sold off, whilst Sharp even though not happy to do so didn't actually do anything about it.

Big Joe recommended Sharp as Ritchie was too friendly with the other players and not ready to be manager.

And how would Ritchie have stopped the owners getting rid of players precisely? The Lees brothers decided to trim back the club's overheads with a view to making the Latics look attractive to potential buyers. Ritchie would have either had to accept the cuts or resign and, in my opinion, he wouldn't have left.

I have massive admiration of Ritchie as a player, but not as a manager. By the same token, Ritchie is hardly charismatic himself.

I also some admiration for Sharp for saying he wasn't cut out to be a manager.