Let's Get Fans Back!

oafckev

Friday night games  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy to see Latics hold Friday night games at Boundary park, as opposed to the usual sat kick off.

• Yes, Frequently
    • Yes occassionally
    • Definatly not

Apart from a big name signing, we need three things:

Better food (more variety)

Beer everywhere (like the barrels someone mentioned)

Big screens throughout to catch re-plays and keep in touch with other scores whilst the games on.

Plus a big free PR event to launch it all - we're different type of supporters than 20 years ago, we need technology and entertainment just to satisfy basic needs!

Agree with that. Why did they stop serving chips anyway?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a large pic of Gary Mac kicking for gaol

:cardinal:

Glad you didn't say Lee Hughes :shock:

Agree with that. Why did they stop serving chips anyway?

Apparently Gregan was struggling to get his shorts on. It wasn't affecting his waistline but the aroma did affect him in other ways. :blush:

How about giving say 10 "half price ticket offers" with season tickets. That way each season ticket holder is bringing in an extra £10(roughly) x 10 per season. Thats an extra £100 a season per ST holder off people that dont buy ST's. Also If your lucky enough for the "friends" to come half price early in the season and we play well enough maybe they'll come back! Thats how I started, came 2 games, good results and good atmosphere. Now the only way I will miss a home game is if I'm 4000miles away!!!!!

Also how about getting some flair! Ok yeah its the points that matter. But a draw full of "attractive football" sometimes feels as good as a boring lucky 1-0 win!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know, I have recently been in correspondance with Alan regarding the main points of this thread. He does seem keen to advance attendences, but some of the points raised on here have been looked at in the past by the club, and are deemed unworkable.

Players into schools getting players to visit schools, holding question and answer sessions etc. A very good idea, one Alan would be keen to use due to the very low overhead cost, but the new physio is introducing a new training regime, getting players in everyday concentrating on their fitness, so time the players have available in their working day will be very limited next season.

Revolution The club are currently running an advertising campaign on the radio station, so if you work in a company that houses a lot of stay aways, get the radio turned to the rev and talk up our club.

Friday Night games Personally I have heard a lot of this over the years, how it works for tranny so why not us. according to Alan, the perception the club have is that many season ticket holders do not want this, but he has asked me to run a poll on her gauging peoples opinions on this matter. so Ive added one. Would you like to see friday night games at BP next year?

Bus from surrounding areasIt is not financially viable for the club to run coaches from tameside, middleton, shaw, rochdale and saddleworth to BP on a matchday independantly, but the club are currently in talks with First Manchester looking at the future, to get better transport links on a matchday to BP. it is quite possible in the future, you will see little gem type services running under the first bus banner too and from saddleworth etc. this however is by no means guarenteed, and is a fair distance off becoming reality.

Billboards at the top of Sheepfoot lane Not viable, due to financial costs involved, and would also require planning permission

Edited by philliggi

A couple of those mentioned were reading this - and the other "TTA Disappointed" thread - yesterday.

I'm sure that if we as a group of fans were to form ourselves into some sort of Action Group looking at ways of increasing attendances, then the Club would welcome that. There are some great ideas here and of course, we have shown in the past that Fan Power can be very influential in the Town.

Here's an offer. If someone local to Oldham is prepared to spearhead the Group, then I will broach the subject with Alan Hardy and see if we can get something formal off the ground.

Whoever takes it on would have to be serious about it and be a good influential leader prepared to put in singnificant time and effort for the benefit of the Club. The rewards would hopefully to see more fans at Boundary Park. I will help out however I can with ideas and contacts etc but my location makes things a little difficult to get personally involved in meetings etc.

So come on folks, who wants to lead the OWTB/ OAFC Fan's Action Group? I'm sure I can come up with something better than OO - FAG in due course. :unsure:

Jeff

I know this is going look negative, but why not Barry Owen.

I don't want to open up the whole debate again, and I hope just mentioning his name won;t start that, but surely Barry is ideally suited to this.

And I mean that positively.

Original remit (in my eyes)

Natural Leader

Seems well respected in dealing with the club

Is out and about often at games.

etc etc

BTW there are some absolutely terrific ideas there.

Oooooh idea time.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Catch my drift?

I also like this one a lot. Focusing on out star players will do more to put across the idea that it can actually be exciting at the match, and could do wonders for fooling kids that we are some good.

Right, Corney's had his rant about fan's not turning up and maybe it was a poorly timed speech but hey he's right! So instead of our mystery marketing guy doing sod all to attract people, lets stick idea's here and lets see where we get. At least SC can't argue at the loyal fan's doing nowt.

Ways to get fan's back:

1: Cheaper Tickets

I don't know the math's of how to run a football club but if we could lower them then maybe fans would return.

2: Better football

Everyone know's that the people of Oldham love to watch good football, get it right on the pitch then build around that.

3: Star Player

Sure Scholes would be ideal but there's plenty of potential 'star players' which could attract fans imaginations.

4: Better atmosphere

Bland, stale and dull. Thats what It's been like at BP for years.

5: Standing/Singing section

Probably the main reason why i love away days. Get that atmosphere in the RRE next season and it would be great.

6: Better Stewards

Is it me or were stewards invisible at BP till a few year ago, yet it's highly unlikely for anything to kick off at BP!

7: Better Match entertainment

OK not a big thing for me but theres absolutly no entertainment pre match or at half time apart from some 8year old cheerleaders!

8: Beer at game/ people walking with beer on back

Still no beer in the Chaddy! At Citeh they have people walking round with beer dispensers so you avoid the queue.

9: Better match advertising

Anyone ever seen a poster/banner of who were playing on the coming Saturday? No? Me neither.

10: TV's at back with highlights

Also at Citeh they have nice plasma tv's which show the highlights of the 1st half, small things like this add to the attraction of the game.

11: Betting shop at back of RRE

This surely is a must for next season, £100 says they don't! (for legal reasons oafckev will not be handing over £100)

12: Big TV screen

Would be a fine addition to BP. Make money from sponsorship and people love being filmed on big screens don't they!

13: Football coaches bringing in fans from local towns

I know plenty of people who would love a coach to pick them up from towns like Middleton & Failsworth.

14: Friday night games - Coach to pubs/clubs after

Copied from the Trannies but it helps their attendances. The coach to the clubs after is for pure selfish reasons :drinking:

So anybody else got idea's? Sarcastic idea's are welcome as well :lol:

1 idea beats them all..........good football

Friday night games would do nothing but alienate a section of our fanbase who actually turn up. The exiles.

It doesnt matter what happens on the pitch. Between August and March we wouldnt see a dramatic rise in attendances. Afterwards dependant on the league position then maybe, but not a great deal. Simple but sad fact is that people wont pay £20 to watch football at league 1 standard when money can be spent on other things. Alot of people go the pub on friday nights - do you really think they'd rather go to BP all because it's on a friday night? Not a chance.

I know plenty of City/United "fans" and the only time they'd stump up £20 to come and watch us is if we drew someone good in the cup, or got to the playoffs.

As for beer in the ground. Again, why would people leave a facility where they're indoors to go drinking outside with what will no doubt be crap alcohol. Same goes for food - no one goes to the football for either (well apart from those who go purely for the girl serving it) :wink:

Big screen with replays - we cant even afford a normal working scoreboard. As for buses/coaches from surrounding area's. Works for Charlton and possibly feasible. Only real area that comes to mind is Saddleworth and that end. Heywood and Bury. Everywhere else is accesible to BP by public transport in under an hour and for less than £4 return. Then it goes onto the question. Would people in a town like Bury we're they're as unsympathetic towards the football team in there town - take a free bus to watch a side in a division higher. Highly doubtful. Saddleworth, quite possibly. There's enough people from that way who can manage to pull themselves out into Oldham every weekend for a night out.

Schools is the best bet and when the club hand out free tickets. It shouldnt just be Oldham based like it seems to be. IMO they should distribute 200/300 free tickets each and every home game (it's money the club wouldnt of lost anyway as they dont turn up. Food, sweets, drinks being sold and 200/300 empty seats filled). There's only against Leeds it probably wouldnt be worth doing. One week to schools in Oldham, the next Manchester, Ashton, etc and broaden it up. Liase with the teachers distributing them to the kid's and see which one's gave the most positive feedback. Couple of complimentary's to those students and on with the next school. There is absolutely no point targetting the same kid time and again when he clearly isnt interested. There's hundreds of thousands of kid's in greater manchester but Latics seemingly cant see past an uninterested Oldham.

Not going to happen. Its just not possible with the money issues the club still has and I firmly dont belive the numbers would increase enough.

16% drop this year in attendences mainly down to the fact we just not as good as last term. Think it will be a different story this season though! So yes I agree, better football = more fans.

Sign Scholes and add a couple of extra 1,000 fans...likely to happen though ? Not really...

Better atmosphere will come along if there is something to get excited about.....

In my opinion the whole stadium should be signing. Standing ? No thanks, go and watch the hillsborugh videos....easily forgot...

I dont think this impacts on the crod numbers....

Nah...

But beer in all the stands and watch people turn up early....would it add extra people to the overall attendance ? Doubtful

Could work.....

Coupled with Beer would make be arrive early but wouldnt increase numbers...

I dont think the current shop is struggling with demand, and it didnt struggle in the premiership so I dont think this is likely.

Agreed it would make money but wouldnt increase numbers.....

Intresting thought....unlikely to be cost effective though....

NO NO NO NO NO! Do this and I cant come to the games anymore :(

Schools is the best bet and when the club hand out free tickets. It shouldnt just be Oldham based like it seems to be. IMO they should distribute 200/300 free tickets each and every home game (it's money the club wouldnt of lost anyway as they dont turn up. Food, sweets, drinks being sold and 200/300 empty seats filled). There's only against Leeds it probably wouldnt be worth doing. One week to schools in Oldham, the next Manchester, Ashton, etc and broaden it up. Liase with the teachers distributing them to the kid's and see which one's gave the most positive feedback. Couple of complimentary's to those students and on with the next school. There is absolutely no point targetting the same kid time and again when he clearly isnt interested. There's hundreds of thousands of kid's in greater manchester but Latics seemingly cant see past an uninterested Oldham.

Its the biggest failing in lower league football!!

Thousands of empty seats every week. I would let kids in free. Make money from food sales, increase atmosphere, and get them hooked!!! Its just make complete sense!

Took my five year old nephew to the Tranmere game this season. Wasnt sure if he enjoyed it or not. Apparently he asked his mum when his uncle was taking him football again the other day. lol

Edited by oafc0000

Not going to happen. Its just not possible with the money issues the club still has and I firmly dont belive the numbers would increase enough.

16% drop this year in attendences mainly down to the fact we just not as good as last term. Think it will be a different story this season though! So yes I agree, better football = more fans.

Sign Scholes and add a couple of extra 1,000 fans...likely to happen though ? Not really...

Better atmosphere will come along if there is something to get excited about.....

In my opinion the whole stadium should be signing. Standing ? No thanks, go and watch the hillsborugh videos....easily forgot...

I dont think this impacts on the crod numbers....

Nah...

But beer in all the stands and watch people turn up early....would it add extra people to the overall attendance ? Doubtful

Could work.....

Coupled with Beer would make be arrive early but wouldnt increase numbers...

I dont think the current shop is struggling with demand, and it didnt struggle in the premiership so I dont think this is likely.

Agreed it would make money but wouldnt increase numbers.....

Intresting thought....unlikely to be cost effective though....

NO NO NO NO NO! Do this and I cant come to the games anymore :(

Can you clarify the point you made under no.5 about standing/hillsboro' ?

Would be nice, but it's been tried. The season they did the games for a quid, in the first game we still failed to get more than 10K IIRC. Cheaper tickets does not automatically mean more fans through the gate. That being said, it would still be nice. :)

We'd all like better football, but even if we played bad, I would still go....whenever I get chance.

If we ever got Scholes, then yes he'd add another 1K at least(I reckon a few reds would come week in week out to watch him play). Otherwise who could we get?

I'd like to change 'Better' with 'Positive' - What games I can get to, the atmosphere is awful, very negative.

"In my opinion the whole stadium should be signing. Standing ? No thanks, go and watch the hillsborugh videos....easily forgot..." - Quote oafc0000

How on earth do you compare Hillsboro to Boundary Park?

Even in the Allianz Arena here in Munich they have standing areas. It can be done, I just think that clubs in the UK are now too afraid to challange the taylor report.

Match day promotions on the day before and on the day in town centres(Oldham/Rochdale/Middleton) is a good idea, certainly worth testing it out. Give out tickets*. Details on who's playing obviously and even how to get to BP.

*Except on Matchdays.

I only see this as an extra cost that the club doesnt need.

Cant see how this would increase fans through the gate? Hasnt it already been stated that a big screen would be drain on money?

Munich 1860 play all their games on Fridays & Sundays, this way they are not competing with Bayern or any of the big Bundesliga 1 teams. They just dont do the pub/club thing after.

Although, there is nothing stopping people here organising such an event. The more you have these events, the more they may catch on.

Copied from the Trannies but it helps their attendances. The coach to the clubs after is for pure selfish reasons :drinking:

So anybody else got idea's? Sarcastic idea's are welcome as well :lol:

They dont do it because they want to, they do it because of policing between everton and liverpool matches (that get priority)