• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jlf - I live in Bury not Oldham and I have an understanding of how economics works.

Whilst bringing in an estimated extra 100,000 visitors over say a 6 week period would increase the local economy, having this number of visitors over a 36 hour period is not. The shop/pubs..etc.. are going to have to pay out more than they usually would do in wages as they will have to either pay staff overtime or have more staff on shift than usual to cope with the demand. Pubs and food shops could well runout of stock which will mean them turning customers away tomorrow or until they get new stock in.

The emergency services are going to have a higher staff load than normal as resources are diverted away from routine services. The clean up operation is not going to be cheap, the usual city clean on a Weds night will pale into insignificance compared to tonight. The cost to the economy from congestion is not going to be small either.

Isn't arguing over who are the worst fans out of Rangers and Celtic the equivalent of arguing over who is the least funny out of Cannon & Ball?

:grin: My money's on Cannon but its a very close run thing. No doubt any major populace between Scotland and Manchester will have Rangers 'fans' in strangley larger numbers than usual tonight.

Whilst bringing in an estimated extra 100,000 visitors over say a 6 week period would increase the local economy, having this number of visitors over a 36 hour period is not. The shop/pubs..etc.. are going to have to pay out more than they usually would do in wages as they will have to either pay staff overtime or have more staff on shift than usual to cope with the demand. Pubs and food shops could well runout of stock which will mean them turning customers away tomorrow or until they get new stock in.

:-) anybody with a business brain would know this was coming hence any that run out of stock or dont have the correct provisions dont deserve to be in business... Plus if people are paying staff more its because they need them because they are going to make more... never seen a business going bust because they had so many customers they had to pay people overtime....

The provisions have been made... beer tents - fans areas... its not as if this many people wasnt expected!

Your point is invlaid! Sorry to jump in just giving my interpretations.

You are clearly pesimistic!

Edited by Davros

i work near piccadilly station and am just glad that when i went out for my lunch a short while ago, none of these muppets were doing anything stupid like singing munich songs, as i believe they have been doing outside old trafford this morning. both rangers and celtic fans are, quite simply, arseholes for bringing in religion to football.

its like a bleedin scottish version of shameless in piccadilly gardens.

oh and one last thing... 150000 rangers fans in and around manchester = no nice women out for their lunch/sunbathing/drinking during the day. i am not impressed!

:angry:

Think I've missed a marketing opportunity with my Blue / white / Tangerine scarves d'oh would have paid for my holidays.

It was quite disconcerting the number of people around Shepherd’s Bush who took me for a Hun in my colours before the Inspirals gig. I’d have had to see the irony if I’d got lynched by a maverick Aberdonian though.

I pity the standard Glaswegian tramps in Manchester, the prices of any remaining Bucky will be through the roof for weeks.

Coming from the Manchester region as most of us do, it would be immoral to not support Manchester's twin city of Leningrad. Come on you Zenits!!!!

Besides, let's be honest, most Scots (Celtic being exempt because they're Irish and I them) are very racist when it comes to all things English.

i work near piccadilly station and am just glad that when i went out for my lunch a short while ago, none of these muppets were doing anything stupid like singing munich songs, as i believe they have been doing outside old trafford this morning. both rangers and celtic fans are, quite simply, arseholes for bringing in religion to football.

its like a bleedin scottish version of shameless in piccadilly gardens.

oh and one last thing... 150000 rangers fans in and around manchester = no nice women out for their lunch/sunbathing/drinking during the day. i am not impressed!

:angry:

Lol very true the sunshine shielas have all gone and been replaced by p-ed 18 stone tattood bald jocks and thats just their better looking women. And yes Celtic and Rangers fans are as bad as each other last year for Roy Keane's testimonial it was a similar ish story most fans come and have a good time and a few drinks and a minority come and sing songs about the IRA.

On the whole on both occasions it is a quite a special atmosphere.

It was quite disconcerting the number of people around Shepherd’s Bush who took me for a Hun in my colours before the Inspirals gig. I’d have had to see the irony if I’d got lynched by a maverick Aberdonian though.

Rather than by a disgruntled ticket-holder in the balcony!

Sorry, couldn't resist, but I will let it lie.....................eventually - they say time is a great healer!

Rather than by a disgruntled ticket-holder in the balcony!

Sorry, couldn't resist, but I will let it lie.....................eventually - they say time is a great healer!

You seem quite contented to let everyone else be a lot closer to the drumming than you are these days, I think you’ve got a taste for it :wink:

You seem quite contented to let everyone else be a lot closer to the drumming than you are these days, I think you’ve got a taste for it :wink:

Not many can say that they have invited the drummer to sit behind them. He accepted the invitation and it hasn't affected me at all.......pardon.....eh?....you what?.....come again! Must get a new battery for this bloody thing!!

Jlf - I live in Bury not Oldham and I have an understanding of how economics works.

The emergency services are going to have a higher staff load than normal as resources are diverted away from routine services. The clean up operation is not going to be cheap, the usual city clean on a Weds night will pale into insignificance compared to tonight. The cost to the economy from congestion is not going to be small either.

Well cheaper than bury to if I remember. I also know about Economics/business to. The MEN have stated that it will bring in approximatley £25 million to the local economy and yes businessness would have to pay out more money to staff but by applying a bit of business acumen I would hope that they capitlise on increased custom. Having been formerly an assistant manager of a restaurant myself, you can normally get around of running out of stock through planning to get more stock in the first place. The local pub landlord on North west tonight and the taxi driver I spoke to at the weekend certainly were looking forward to this occasion.

Yes there are issues with clean up, congestion etc but isn't there with anything of this size.

:-) anybody with a business brain would know this was coming hence any that run out of stock or dont have the correct provisions dont deserve to be in business

I agree. Bet it still happens though.

... Plus if people are paying staff more its because they need them because they are going to make more... never seen a business going bust because they had so many customers they had to pay people overtime....

Granted they won't go out of business but the so called "profit" of this event is not going to be anywhere near as much as expected. Businesses and councils in this country always lose money on stuff like this. The Eurovision nearly bankrupted Ireland, student games knackered Sheffield, the Olympics always costs more than declared..etc..

The provisions have been made... beer tents - fans areas... its not as if this many people wasnt expected!

Paid for by Manchester council tax payers - will they get to see any of the profits if any are made?

Your point is invlaid! Sorry to jump in just giving my interpretations.

You are clearly pesimistic!

Point isn't invalid, this will cost Manchester more money than it is worth. Yes I am pessimistic, years of supporting Latics generally does that!

Paid for by Manchester council tax payers - will they get to see any of the profits if any are made?

Councils put this sort of thing on as a damage limitation thing rather than a profit making one, if they keep all the blue-shirted Scottish gentlemen together by giving them somewhere to squat and drink turps at then they don’t have to worry as much about them spreading across Greater Manchester doing god knows what, and the civilised normal people aren’t affected as much. It’s relatively cheap and easy to police and clear up a compact area but a nightmare if it all spreads out. Same as the more intelligent people do with England games abroad, let them have an area to get wasted, piss and vomit over and generally act a bit lairy so as to prevent worse.

There was a story on the radio about a Rangers fan who had promised to take his wife on holiday, only to spend their £1,200 on two tickets for tonight's Final. What's wrong with that, I hear you ask? Well, the coach on which they were travelling has broken down in Glasgow and they cannot get to the game. :grin:

Looks like the scumbags behaved as expected.

Riot police charges, fighting with each other and a Russian fan reportedly stabbed.

Once people forget this stereotype of Scottish fans as Russ Abbot bewigged jolly drunks the better. The majority are no better than the bad 'uns in any countries games.

KtF,

Derek.

Looks like the scumbags behaved as expected.

Riot police charges, fighting with each other and a Russian fan reportedly stabbed.

Once people forget this stereotype of Scottish fans as Russ Abbot bewigged jolly drunks the better. The majority are no better than the bad 'uns in any countries games.

KtF,

Derek.

That is a pathetic generalisation - really is - under the cicumstances I think ANY set of fans would have been annoyed by the shortcomings - while I dont condone any fighting you need to put things into perspective - every Gers fan I met and spoke to was friendly, jolly and only too keen to talk about footy and enjoy themselves!

That is a pathetic generalisation - really is - under the cicumstances I think ANY set of fans would have been annoyed by the shortcomings - while I dont condone any fighting you need to put things into perspective - every Gers fan I met and spoke to was friendly, jolly and only too keen to talk about footy and enjoy themselves!

they do have a large minority of knobends though dont they? I know two people who were down there last night - one went down to 'join in the party' and came away saying he thought they were scum which is quite a turn around from someone who always had a soft spot for Rangers and the other was going to a night class at the University and had to get past a barricade blocking the road manned by lunatics.