Spread the love...

1. Bolton - my family's team, my Dad slipped up and took me to an Oldham game as my first match :grin:

2. Hibernian - lived by Easter Road for a while

3. Eintracht Frankfurt - blame my German exchange

4. Espanyol - struggle to explain this one

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldham - Dad from oldham and has supported them all his life so i do aswell even tho im not from there we still get to about 10+ GAMES A SEASON, its hard tho cos he lives in london and i live in yorkshire

Boro - I live 20min away so go to a few games a season

Arsenal - Dad lives 5 min away so it was them or spurs lol

I also always look to see how york city are doing

This has got me thinking, does anybody still have any contact with Eintracht? I remember them at Cardiff, and I remember them against Blackpool (both 97/98? I cant remember) At the Blackpool game, one of the lads gave me a half-Latics-half-Eintracht scarf which I am very proud of (and the main reason why I look out for them). One of the Eintracht fans also gave me some contacts in Frankfurt if we wanted to go over to see the Eagles, but I was so smashed I lost the details.

Do Latics fans still have that connection with them? I dunno...

i stayed with them for the world cup. cracking bunch.

one was over for the everton game because he is banned in germany and cant go.

we are looking to get over there for a few days next season with em in one of the lads hotels in Fulda!!

i stayed with them for the world cup. cracking bunch.

one was over for the everton game because he is banned in germany and cant go.

we are looking to get over there for a few days next season with em in one of the lads hotels in Fulda!!

I'd love to go over, I'm afraid those days have gone for the time being...

I'm still a bit bemused as to how the people of MK aren't embarrassed by the whole thing.

I used to live down there and worked in MK. The locals probably think that football was invented in 2004 and so will know no different.

Other than parts of London, it is probably the most selfish and insular place that I have ever visited. I hate to say it but Winkelman chose well and it's horrific that it is looking like a success. How it was ever allowed to happen is a damning indictment on the Football Authorities who stood back and watched while an institutional football club was being stolen.

This has got me thinking, does anybody still have any contact with Eintracht? I remember them at Cardiff, and I remember them against Blackpool (both 97/98? I cant remember) At the Blackpool game, one of the lads gave me a half-Latics-half-Eintracht scarf which I am very proud of (and the main reason why I look out for them). One of the Eintracht fans also gave me some contacts in Frankfurt if we wanted to go over to see the Eagles, but I was so smashed I lost the details.

Do Latics fans still have that connection with them? I dunno...

We could do with them coming to a latics game a provide a bit a=of atmosphere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTx3NDvRQJ8...feature=related

Christ, I'd love to be in that lot - that's what it's all about - right there...

EIN-TRACHT FRANK-FURT!

EIN-TRACHT FRANK-FURT!

Cant imagine the moaners in the main stand wanting to be involved in anything like that

SHA-LA-LA-LA-LA :grin:

Not much love spread between fans of Burton Albion and Gresley Rovers. From the rarely read Burton Mail:

Football rivals in web war

by TIM FLETCHER

AN OLD rivalry between Burton and South Derbyshire's two leading football clubs has broken out afresh on the world wide web.

Gresley Rovers supporters are up in arms after Burton Albion fans hacked into the club's entry on internet encyclopedia Wikipedia, and posted a series of unflattering comments about their rivals.

The mischievous Brewers supporters changed the title of the entry to 'Greasy Rovers FC', the club's nickname to 'The Whippets' and the name of Gresley's home ground to 'The Bomb Site'.

Wikipedia's database is open to all and permits any internet user to edit the information contained within it, allowing the errant Albion fans to run riot with the text describing Gresley's history.

"During those early years at the Moat Ground the club was notable for being the first to have a whippets enclosure stand, so that the supporters (all 10 of them) could bring their partners along," read one entry.

In the section listing the club's honours were added the titles of 'Inbreds Knockout Cup Winners 2008', 'Let's All Laugh At Award 1997' and 'Crufts Whippet of the Year Award 2008'.

The page also featured a picture of the Rovers mascot with the caption 'Elvis Gresley - the club's best player'.

Albion and Gresley first played each other in the Birmingham League in the 1954-55 season, but enjoyed their fiercest rivalry during the 1990s when both teams played in the then Dr Marten's League Premier Division.

The two teams have not met in a competitive league match since the Moatmen were relegated in 1999, although there is still no love lost between the two sets of supporters - particularly as the Moatmen had actually won the title in 1997 but were unable to be promoted to the Nationwide Conference due to restrictions on the Moat Ground.

Albion, meanwhile, never managed to win the Dr Marten's League, and were only promoted themselves after transferring to and winning the Northern Premier League - which was widely seen within football as an easier competition.

The hacking incident was sparked after some Gresley fans posted messages on the club's internet message board gloating over the Brewers' Blue Square Premier play-off semi-final defeat at Cambridge on Tuesday.

"I still hate Albion and I'm glad they failed last night," wrote one contributor.

"Those who don't feel this way about the Albion, or vice versa on the wrong side of the Trent, are in the minority. This has gone on for decades and will continue to do so."

Gresley supporters club treasurer James Southern today said: "I suppose we're not surprised, and I admit there is a rivalry between Burton and Gresley, but what they have done is borderline abuse against the club.

"I'm not saying that some of it hasn't been sparked by the comments that were posted on our forum, but there is banter and there is taking things too far.

"It's one thing them coming on our forum or us going on theirs saying things to get a bit of banter going, but this is an external website and this kind of thing will have a negative impact on people who may be interested in the club, including potential sponsors."

Ok here goes (I'm gonna regret this...)

1. Oldham Athletic first and foremost, above all, no questions asked.

Then, in some kind of order...

2. Man Utd - I was a Manc Red as a kid, before my Dad (a proper City fan oddly enough, grew up in east Manchester - probably why I went Red) introduced me to local footy in the shape of Oldham. Still got a fair few mates who are proper Manc reds (a few season ticket holders), and have always maintained a little bit of Red within. I just keep quiet among the Red hating Oldham fans - I do kind of understand them. Oh.... and it should be remembered this has nowt to do with glory hunting - I am most certainly old enough to remember when Utd were crap. :lol:

3. Celtic - probably due to the Utd links I always marginally favoured Celtic of the Scottish clubs. Then I worked and lived in Glasgow for six months or so, and despite intentions to stay neutral and go and watch Partick most of the mates I made were Tims, so the attachment grew. At an educated, white collar kind of level I found very little beyond good, healthy local rivalry, so the remaining sectarianism on both sides saddens me ... it's time to bury it - if they can do so in Northern Ireland, surely they can in Glasgow. (which leads me on to...)

4. Northern Ireland - one of our group of Latics fans is a proud Northern Irish lad now living in Liverpool. A few of us have been on a couple of trips with him to 'Norn Iron' away matches, and I've absolutely loved the craic every time. None of the threat involved with travelling with England, and as obvious Englishmen we were welcomed into the throng with few questions. The huge majority of travelling Northern Ireland fans are Protestants and Unionists, but you get the real feeling amongst them that they are ready to consign the Troubles to history - and they've made a voluntary (and effective) effort to stamp out the old sectarian songs at Norn Iron matches.

(There's a moral to that I think - it's all very well wanting to prolong the 'war' when you're in Glasgow and all it extends to is sectarian songs at football matches.... those caught up in the REAL war, who've had to live with it most of their lives, are now ready to end it for good).

(Sorry - didn't intend to get too political there! :blink: )

Who else?

5. Everton - just a family link really, my brother-in-law is a Toffees fan.

6. Fiorentina - remember when Football Italia first came to UK television in the 90s? Fiorentina was my favourite team back then, and after so many problems it's great to see them back in Serie A and back in Europe.

7. Crewe - always respected the way Crewe have done things, the patience of the board to allow the Dario Gradi dynasty to last so long ... I hope Gradi's influence continues now he's stepped up from management.

8. Brasil. The Beautiful Game

And most local non-league sides - keep intending to get to more games and support them a little better. But NOT FC United - I can't support a side set up by arrogant and bitter fools based on spite.

Christ, I'd love to be in that lot - that's what it's all about - right there...

EIN-TRACHT FRANK-FURT!

EIN-TRACHT FRANK-FURT!

Erm, it's been like that in the Lookers Upper all year.

Quality.

....(There's a moral to that I think - it's all very well wanting to prolong the 'war' when you're in Glasgow and all it extends to is sectarian songs at football matches.... those caught up in the REAL war, who've had to live with it most of their lives, are now ready to end it for good).

You've hit the nail on the head, and while we're on the subject, let's mention fans of Latics singing "No surrender to the IRA" - what's that got to do with anything?