Next Year's Dark Horses

Every year there's a side who's up there in the playoffs or auto who noone really expects to do well at the start of the season. I'd say this year, that despite the fact that they came down from the Championship, this side was Southend who I don't think were overly fancied. Walsall also fought well but faded just at the wrong point. Not Carlisle as they were flying at the end of last season and finished just off the playoffs.

So who will it be next year? Personally, I'm plumping for Bristol Rovers. They've looked alright on the two occasions I've seen them live and of course in that game against Soton. Good manager, good team and because of the Cup run and hype, I'd say, if you'd pardon the pun, they just ran out of gas. Fancy them to do well next year.

Every year there's a side who's up there in the playoffs or auto who noone really expects to do well at the start of the season. I'd say this year, that despite the fact that they came down from the Championship, this side was Southend who I don't think were overly fancied. Walsall also fought well but faded just at the wrong point. Not Carlisle as they were flying at the end of last season and finished just off the playoffs.

So who will it be next year? Personally, I'm plumping for Bristol Rovers. They've looked alright on the two occasions I've seen them live and of course in that game against Soton. Good manager, good team and because of the Cup run and hype, I'd say, if you'd pardon the pun, they just ran out of gas. Fancy them to do well next year.

Franchise FC :angry: If they keep Ince

As mad as it sounds but I think Swindon will be at least a decent bet for the play-offs. The dark horses nearly always turn out to be unspectacular, yet solid and I think that's what Swindon are. They'll have decent crowds too, with a season ticket deal similar to Bradford's last season.

Definately peterboro, good footballing team

Fancy MK Mongs to mount a playoff challenge but nothing more.

Dont fancy walsall, part of the reason their manager went was because he still had what he called 'a bottom 5 budget', despite keeping them in the hunt for a playoff place for most of the season

Will stand by what I said in previous posts re this div, if leeds stay down think they will walk it, otherwise there will be a hell of alot of teams fighting for promotion

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Dont fancy walsall, part of the reason their manager went was because he still had what he called 'a bottom 5 budget', despite keeping them in the hunt for a playoff place for most of the season

Will stand by what I said in previous posts re this div, if leeds stay down think they will walk it, otherwise there will be a hell of alot of teams fighting for promotion

What's it take to be a light horse?

I'd put Peterborough as one of the favourites. They've splashed over a million quid in the last two season and will surely up that over the summer.

Personally, I think that both MK Dons and Peterborough will flatter to deceive. They have resources for sure but maybe Ince and Ferguson are living on reputations and money as opposed to being top knotch Coaches? Don't know but I have a feeling that they will both be up there early doors but like Leyton Orient; Bristol Rovers; Walsall etc, will find it hard to last the course of the Season in a higher League.

It's going to be very open again next Season. I think 2 from Southend, Doncaster or Leeds will fill the auto places (Carlisle will struggle IMO as will Leicester unless Mandaric sorts himself out) while the dark horse could well be Brighton or Oldham. A lot depends on close Season signings and the fitness of key players for it to be us though.

Personally, I think that both MK Dons and Peterborough will flatter to deceive. They have resources for sure but maybe Ince and Ferguson are living on reputations and money as opposed to being top knotch Coaches? Don't know but I have a feeling that they will both be up there early doors but like Leyton Orient; Bristol Rovers; Walsall etc, will find it hard to last the course of the Season in a higher League.

It's going to be very open again next Season. I think 2 from Southend, Doncaster or Leeds will fill the auto places (Carlisle will struggle IMO as will Leicester unless Mandaric sorts himself out) while the dark horse could well be Brighton or Oldham. A lot depends on close Season signings and the fitness of key players for it to be us though.

Are Brighton dark horses though? Look at last season, the teams who started poorly(ish) and recovered to finish 7th and 8th (Swans and Carlisle) have done well this year. I'd say us and Brighton will be quite well fancied. MK Dons too, I wouldn't classify as dark horses, VVankerman will give Ince a fortune and as someone said above, money talks in League One.

Are Brighton dark horses though? Look at last season, the teams who started poorly(ish) and recovered to finish 7th and 8th (Swans and Carlisle) have done well this year. I'd say us and Brighton will be quite well fancied. MK Dons too, I wouldn't classify as dark horses, VVankerman will give Ince a fortune and as someone said above, money talks in League One.

Agree with Brighton they play good football and possibly Hartlepool.

KTF

I was chatting to a Walsall fan at the U21s last night who was saying that he believes they will be fighting to stay up next season. Their better players are apparently moving on.

He also had some interesting views on Ricketts. If he'd stayed he reckons they'd have gone up but it seems that his injury wasn't the reason he left.

After making all the right noises about liking it there and enjoying his football for the first time in years, he refused to budge on his wage demands. Can't say that came as a shock!