shhh dont say that hes an overated little money grabbing s**t!!!;)

Glimpses of genius and glimpses of cackness!! He ran the midfield last night played some neat touches but let him self down by shooting wayward on occasions...

shhh dont say that hes an overated little money grabbing s**t!!!;)

?

He's from OZ. Played for Arsenal, Then Brum,

Has no loyalty to Oldham really he was doing a job here. Not one person on here would turn down the wage he got offered with the prospect of going up.

funny how people dont think this about wellens. killkenny will be better than him.

I'm not sure.

Right now, Wellens is the more complete player.

Whether Kilkenny improves beyond that depends alot on his attitude. Yes he has the years in his favour, but he needs to use them.

?

He's from OZ. Played for Arsenal, Then Brum,

Has no loyalty to Oldham really he was doing a job here. Not one person on here would turn down the wage he got offered with the prospect of going up.

I do apologise i think my comments may have been in the form of sarcasm!

I'm not sure.

Right now, Wellens is the more complete player.

Whether Kilkenny improves beyond that depends alot on his attitude. Yes he has the years in his favour, but he needs to use them.

Of course. And what every seems to miss is that Wellens has played far more games than Kilkenny. Of the two, Kilkenny will achieve more than Wellens by the ends of their careers. Wellens is happy being a big fish in this pond, after turning down offers from the Championship, whereas Kilkenny I'm sure will do it in the Championship sooner or later, most probably now with Leeds.

Anyway, the comparison between them both is stupid. if they were the same age it'd be far more valid.

O sorry matey. Its hard to pick up sarcasm on here lol:)

no worries pal, it annoys me a lot of the time when fans start to get this picture in their heads that ex players are rubbish etc, when its based soley IMO on bitterness! I thought Kilkenny was brilliant here, maybe not the title winning super star we had (me included) maybe built him up to be. Games could pass him by but i think if he was still here we would be much much stronger for it.

no worries pal, it annoys me a lot of the time when fans start to get this picture in their heads that ex players are rubbish etc, when its based soley IMO on bitterness! I thought Kilkenny was brilliant here, maybe not the title winning super star we had (me included) maybe built him up to be. Games could pass him by but i think if he was still here we would be much much stronger for it.

here here.

I won't disagree that he's a quality player. But bearing in mind he was sitting there begging the club to save him from his Birmingham nightmare, it would have been nice if he'd at least seen out the season with us.

I won't disagree that he's a quality player. But bearing in mind he was sitting there begging the club to save him from his Birmingham nightmare, it would have been nice if he'd at least seen out the season with us.

Why there were lots of clubs interested he didnt need to stay

I disliked both Wellens and Kilkenny when they were both playing for us. Their consistency, work rate and attitude never pleased me. I made my feelings clear about Wellens on the old forum - at the time when 99% of Oldham fans adored him. However, a lot of people's opinions suddenly changed when we won 4 out of our last 15 games, and people saw his lack of work rate, poor attitude, and suddenly people agreed with the minority etc.

Same with Kilkenny. Now, I don't protest that both showed signs of real quality. They did, and we benefited. However, those moments, especially from Wellens, IMO, came quite rarely. Both had no loyalty to us - no, they didn't have to - but I'd certainly rather have Allott in the middle, than either of those two.

Kilkenny worked harder than Wellens, but the times he lost the ball in daft areas - down at Millwall this season he was actually at fault for their first goal - showed to me that he wasn't as quick to see things. I liked Wellens on the edge of the box - I gave him all the praise he deserved for how he went about that. We missed that for the majority of last season. I recall saying this often, then JJ came in, and we had the man on the edge of the box we dearly needed. Sadly, Wellens just didn't deliver elsewhere for me. He just wouldn't get his arse in gear to get the counter going. It was interesting to see Liddell with a lot more assists than our playmaker Richard

Like I say, both were very good on their day, but for the money we'd need to spend on them - which, let's be honest, isn't happening - we'd be wasting it to see 7/8 fantastic performances a year. You can say name a better option. I don't know, but we can always use the loan market for a playmaker. Now those are available.

If it hadn't been us someoneelse would have taken him out of Birmingham's reserves he had other offers on the table we left oursleves exposed with his loan only being upto New year KK fulfilled this then he had to make his next choice Leeds just offered him more and like any sane person went for the best option.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I don't really understand how he was begging us. Lets face it, when news came out that he wanted to come, we were lapping it up. It sounds like to me he wanted regular first team football at a club that he knew and so a meeting was arranged and we bit his hand off.

At the end of the day he wouldn't have stayed a year as were offering a 2 year contract, as I expect Leeds were on vastly improved wages and a lot better chance of getting promoted. If he ended up going to Donnie then I would say fair point, but its Leeds and they could easily be a premiership club again in a years time.

Why there were lots of clubs interested he didnt need to stay

Well you said he had no loyalty to Oldham, I'm just saying he should have done after how we helped him out. No he didn't need to stay, it just would have been slightly more honourable if he'd stayed for the rest of the season.

I don't really understand how he was begging us. Lets face it, when news came out that he wanted to come, we were lapping it up. It sounds like to me he wanted regular first team football at a club that he knew and so a meeting was arranged and we bit his hand off.

I think SC or AH said it at a Fans Forum, though not sure. It did come from a credible source. Obviously it suited us, we wouldn't sign him just to help him out.

Of course. And what every seems to miss is that Wellens has played far more games than Kilkenny. Of the two, Kilkenny will achieve more than Wellens by the ends of their careers. Wellens is happy being a big fish in this pond, after turning down offers from the Championship, whereas Kilkenny I'm sure will do it in the Championship sooner or later, most probably now with Leeds.

Anyway, the comparison between them both is stupid. if they were the same age it'd be far more valid.

I think it's too early to say Kilkenny WILL be better than Wellens, or have achieved more. But he certainly has the time and the potential to do so.

As far as comparing them is concerned, yes to a degree it is unfair because of the age and experience difference, BUT on the other hand a comparison in the context of their performances for Latics IS relevant because they were brought in to do effectively the same job.

My lack of interest in bringing Kilkenny back is as much to do with his character than whether he has what we need on the park.