Latics Fans from N.Ireland/abroad

Living in N.Ireland as i do, i was wondering how many other fans there are supporting the latics from here or even abroad.

Im asking because i was at my nephews under 14 football final in a town called Lisburn 2 Saturdays ago, and walked past a fella wearing a latics hat, ( i myself was wearing the latics woolly hat ).

This is a rarity to say the least, as in 18yrs of supporting Oldham ive seen 4 people in N.Ireland wearing Latics merchandise.

Im not even an exile as ive lived in N.Ireland my whole life, and started to support Oldham when i got into football, which happend to be when we got to the Semis in the FA.Cup in 90, so i suppose you could call me a glory hunter!!!!! ( im 25 by the way just incase yous thought im supporting Oldham since birth!!!

I Manage to follow the teams progress on Latics world and never miss the commentary, unless i go and see the boys live, and im disappointed to say i only seen 3 games last season season, Swansea, Southend and Leeds all at home. Its handy enough, me and the misses stay just down the road from Boundary Park in the Premier Travell In, but all in all expensive.

So how do the other fans abroad/ N.Irleland Follow the boys and how many are there???

Living in N.Ireland as i do, i was wondering how many other fans there are supporting the latics from here or even abroad.

Im asking because i was at my nephews under 14 football final in a town called Lisburn 2 Saturdays ago, and walked past a fella wearing a latics hat, ( i myself was wearing the latics woolly hat ).

This is a rarity to say the least, as in 18yrs of supporting Oldham ive seen 4 people in N.Ireland wearing Latics merchandise.

Im not even an exile as ive lived in N.Ireland my whole life, and started to support Oldham when i got into football, which happend to be when we got to the Semis in the FA.Cup in 90, so i suppose you could call me a glory hunter!!!!! ( im 25 by the way just incase yous thought im supporting Oldham since birth!!!

I Manage to follow the teams progress on Latics world and never miss the commentary, unless i go and see the boys live, and im disappointed to say i only seen 3 games last season season, Swansea, Southend and Leeds all at home. Its handy enough, me and the misses stay just down the road from Boundary Park in the Premier Travell In, but all in all expensive.

So how do the other fans abroad/ N.Irleland Follow the boys and how many are there???

I was on a stag do in Belfast a couple of years back, was drinking in laverys, and bumped into a NI latics fan, said he used to be in the fan club back in the glory days, small world innit

I was on a stag do in Belfast a couple of years back, was drinking in laverys, and bumped into a NI latics fan, said he used to be in the fan club back in the glory days, small world innit

my brother lives in Derry cant wear the royal blue as he livesin a republican area and the kit ressembles Rangers shirt,also orange not a good idea he cant wait to get the new shocking puke shirt.there is at least one other latics fan i know in derry. they are drumming up quite a few who have the blues as their 2nd club Derry Latics in the carraigh bar on the foyle rd .

Born and bred in Norn Iron - moved to Middleton in 1988 and when faced with a decision to watch Manure, :censored:eh, or Latics, well there was only one winner.

Now married to an English girl in the Midlands - 3 kids, 2 Latics fans

Bloody hell - i've been a Latics fan for 20 years now

Born and bred in Norn Iron - moved to Middleton in 1988 and when faced with a decision to watch Manure, :censored:eh, or Latics, well there was only one winner.

Now married to an English girl in the Midlands - 3 kids, 2 Latics fans

Bloody hell - i've been a Latics fan for 20 years now

Whereabouts in the Midlands are you?

Guest oa_exile

This could be strange coincidence but one of my mates lives in Lisburn , he is an Irish lad by birth and actually lives across the road from some football pitch(es)

We have been friends for about 15-16 years and has been in Oldham a few times on visits to see us.

It could have been him , did you ask his name ?

I'm a fellow Oldham fan living in Ballymoney (Norn Ireland), been supporting the boys in blue for over 18 years. Been over to a few games this year, Huddersfield and Cheltenham at home in the league, Forest away in the league and away to Everton in the cup.

I travel over to the games with the father in law who I have converted to being a Latic and 2 other Oldham fans who live in Belfast.

Edited by Fergie

Guest oa_exile
This could be strange coincidence but one of my mates lives in Lisburn , he is an Irish lad by birth and actually lives across the road from some football pitch(es)

We have been friends for about 15-16 years and has been in Oldham a few times on visits to see us.

It could have been him , did you ask his name ?

Rang him last night , it wasnt him :huh:

I took my cousin’s kid to BP (they’re in County Derry) when he was visiting years ago when he was about 10, apparently he was singing the song about Steve McMahon’s hair style and proclivities for burglary for years afterwards.

Very true about the wearing of colours, I’ve never thought it wise to wear anything over there, be it Oldham blue or green and white hoops, which is a sad state of affairs. I did once carry out a threat to turn up at my local Celtic club in the home shirt with red trim, which got me the odd strange look...

I have wore my Oldham football tops all over Nothern Ireland during the past 20 years, Blue, Red, Yellow, Orange, green to name but a few. So all this balls about not wearing certain colours in specific areas is a load of balls. The only comments I ever get is why the hell do you support Oldham Athletic.

Guest oa_exile
The only comments I ever get is why the hell do you support Oldham Athletic.

I used to get that comment when I lived in Oldham :grin:

I have wore my Oldham football tops all over Nothern Ireland during the past 20 years, Blue, Red, Yellow, Orange, green to name but a few. So all this balls about not wearing certain colours in specific areas is a load of balls. The only comments I ever get is why the hell do you support Oldham Athletic.

That’s interesting, I guess it shows how the fear of trouble is as big a factor in people’s lives as the reality of it. As I put it, I never thought it would be a good idea, but then I don’t have any anecdotal evidence of problems arising from being mistaken. I have taken a bit if stick from the odd person in England who has mistaken me for a Rangers fan (the irony...) so I guess it’s always a possibility. That said there are places over there I have been to in recent years that I would never have dared go near back in the day for fear of a random nobhead taking a dislike to an English accent, the progress has been amazing.

Anyway, what’s your acronym, Ulster types?

Guest oa_exile

Dont worry Fergie you will find that LL does talk a load of balls , but what do you expect from a Cockney Wannabe :lol:

I've been "exiled" for almost 12 years now and I've followed Latics from here in the USA, France and even Bristol... :grin:

<starts Hovis music>

When I first left Oldham in '96 there was only one Latics web site, which was a student project, I think. Its message board was not very active but it was great for me. Then there was another one ran by someone called Jimmy I think. In France I used to go on a results web site and keep refreshing the page for the score! I first got Radio Cavell's live commentary in 2001 (it was free then as well). That was an amazing progression. I've had Latics World ever since it started and seeing the goals is something I now take for granted - "You young uns don't know you're born"

<stops Hovis music>

Go to matches at Xmas, New Year and anytime else if I'm over (I once was over for my sister's wedding so I went to see first half at home to Stoke...) Saw 3 games this season, last one was Leeds away - get in you beauty!

Just outside Leicester - all the in-laws are big Leicester fans, so looking forward to the 6 points next season

I'm moving to Nuneaton in July, was happy when Leicester came down, 17 mins away according to multimap!

Just as an off shoot issue. It's been clear for a number of years Latics fans emigrate to different parts of the country and world in good numbers. But as anyone come this way to Oldham and started following the blues?

Just as an off shoot issue. It's been clear for a number of years Latics fans emigrate to different parts of the country and world in good numbers. But as anyone come this way to Oldham and started following the blues?

Somebody was saying just the other day they moved here from Carlisle and changed allegiances - I think it was, conveniently, in the late 80's. :lol:

I expect most who did move to Oldham and start supporting Latics would be proper football fans who just wanted to watch a game. Less likely happen these days with that cancer of the English game so regularly televised.