Am I missing the point?

I'm not included in that. I said if they are good enough, then that's that. There isn't much else I can do about is there? So, I'll continue and go about my day.

Another notable feature(?) is that we seem to be getting a lot of repeats lately...

Neither will I lose sleep or fail to go about my day. That doesn't mean I won't wonder which tiny club will be next to leave us standing.

Anyway, not to worry-we're going up next year aren't we?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not included in that. I said if they are good enough, then that's that. There isn't much else I can do about is there? So, I'll continue and go about my day.

Another notable feature(?) is that we seem to be getting a lot of repeats lately...

Very good point.

And another notable feature is that we seem to be getting a lot of repeats lately.

If you haven't bored them off him first.

Have you ever thought that the most boring posters might be the ones who treat the mildest suggestion of boredom or frustration at our lack of progress as some sort of heresy?

You can't say anything on here without the club's very own Grand Inquisitor LaticsPete tugging at your sleeve.

Neither will I lose sleep or fail to go about my day. That doesn't mean I won't wonder which tiny club will be next to leave us standing.

Anyway, not to worry-we're going up next year aren't we?

I wouldn't even waste my time wondering, seems a little pointless to me.

Have you ever thought that the most boring posters might be the ones who treat the mildest suggestion of boredom or frustration at our lack of progress as some sort of heresy?.

On the contrary....

In fact, so little have I ever had anything to do with Rochdale that I don't even know where the ground is.

[/quote

It's about ten minutes walk up from the town centre towards .... nice little walk with a couple of good pubs on the way.

If you want I'll attached a map for you or simply put this postcode into streetmap.co.uk OL11 5DS!!!

I'll think you'll also find that a number of Latics fans were born / breed in Rochdale and like myself are interested in our home town team being a wembley.

How embarrassed will we be if they become another of the clubs that leave us behind, even if only temporarily as Bury and Stockport did a decade ago?

I have to agree with you on that one. When I first started watching Latics in the late 70s, we were an established Division 2 outfit and Rochdale were a perennial 4th Division struggling team and seen as a joke between me and my mates.

Although we could see Rochdale over the back fields of Derker, in those days they had no more chance of becoming our rival as a Conservative councillor had of winning a seat in Derker.

The fact that we could be in the same division is bad enough but who knows they could go on to feature in the Championship - stranger things have happened. How we would look then?

I have to agree with you on that one. When I first started watching Latics in the late 70s, we were an established Division 2 outfit and Rochdale were a perennial 4th Division struggling team and seen as a joke between me and my mates.

Although we could see Rochdale over the back fields of Derker, in those days they had no more chance of becoming our rival as a Conservative councillor had of winning a seat in Derker.

The fact that we could be in the same division is bad enough but who knows they could go on to feature in the Championship - stranger things have happened. How we would look then?

More to the point how many of our loyal fans would then be at spotland???

You've pretty much just repeated what Corp has said, in support of course - fair enough. So I'll just refer you to the answer I gave some moments ago.

I'll think you'll also find that a number of Latics fans were born / breed in Rochdale and like myself are interested in our home town team being a wembley.

I haven't said that nobody should be interested; I was merely explaining the reason why Rochdale are just another north-west club to me.

Although having been born and bred in Oldham, and therefore naturally a Latic, I do wonder why some who were born and bred in Rochdale are also Latics. After all, there's glory seeking and then there's glory seeking...

You've pretty much just repeated what Corp has said, in support of course - fair enough. So I'll just refer you to the answer I gave some moments ago.

Where have I done that? I addressed the point that although I lived close to them (as opposed to the Corp living in Hollinwood) it didn't make them more of a rival. It's similar to the ManYoo/City situation. Ask a real Utd fan who their rivals are and I bet they won't say City.

And which answer are you refering me to? You have several in this thread.

More to the point how many of our loyal fans would then be at spotland???

I terms of loyal fans not many, I already know of a few who flit between both teams depending upon who is at home that week. That was always common practice until the larger (mostly premier clubs) got stuck into branding / marketing their clubs and the 'tribal' stance of supporters kicked in around the late 60's forcing people to choose one team.

Many use to go (for instance) to City one week, United the next, it was all about watching football. I have been to Leyton, Daggers and Richmond and Hampton when I haven't actually been watching Latics.... I like to watch live sport on a Sat.

As a young un Latics results were always after the two Manc / scouse teams and only really had Rovers as a 'lancashire' club anywhere near us. Now Rochdale in the same league as use, when growing up in Dale I would laugh at the suggestion. But times change ........ Hudders use to be a massive club back in the day.

Outside of the big City clubs we all have our 15mins, something Dale certaqinly now deserve after all these years.

Look at Hull, biggest City never to have been in the top flight and this is a huge sporting City.

I haven't said that nobody should be interested; I was merely explaining the reason why Rochdale are just another north-west club to me.

Although having been born and bred in Oldham, and therefore naturally a Latic, I do wonder why some who were born and bred in Rochdale are also Latics. After all, there's glory seeking and then there's glory seeking...

In towns that are only several miles apart its only natural that people / families flit between the two towns to live. But you knew that because your not stupid.......

I was lucky I was allow to attend games in '87 for the first time (been going Yeds since a baby) which obviously fell in place with our first year tindering with promotion for some years. As a 15 year old with a three hour round trip on my own (no body in our family was interested in football), having to work Fri / Sat evenings to pay for the trip was great. I suppose nothings changes with the travel these days.

As for getting a rise out of my Corp ......... don't waste your time

Lance-Corporal Jack Jones

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jones is known for a number of eccentric traits, such as using long rambling explanations and anecdotes whenever he wants to make a point (which could usually be summed up in a sentence anyway). He is also invariably one step behind the rest of the platoon in any drill manoeuvre. He often makes far-fetched suggestions for the platoon,, Every time, Jones' suggestions are soundly refuted by Mainwaring with a curt "I think you're wandering into the realms of fantasy, Jones."

Isn't the point, for the romantics amongst us, the fact that, in its centenary year, Dale has the opportunity to perform at the new £800,000,000 national football stadium, and rise up into the third division of English football for the first time since Adam was a lad.

Where have I done that?

This bit, where you asked a question ...

....correlates to the Corps suggestion that he would be embarrassed at the prospect of playing Rochdale. The rest of the post was more or less reminiscence.

I answered that I wouldn't be too embarrassed - if you're good enough to go up, you're good enough to go up. I won't miss any sleep.

Edited by rummytheowl

Lot of trolling and biting I see here tonight. *sigh*

Wonderful if Dale come up. Their fans are seen as the most long-suffering in the football league so it's a great football story. I absolutely want them to come up. No ill-will towards them, and if they manage to stay up a few seasons (unlikely, but possible) and we manage to stay down (likely, and probably - go on Corp, get stuck in...) then we have some 'real' local derby's on our hands.

Sure, we've never been traditional rivals with each other, well not in the last 30 years anyway but it's good to have some local rivalry. I'll bet there's lots of Dale and Oldham fans that work together, drink together and perhaps live in the same households, and it's great that bragging rights may be fought over next season.

How could this be seen as a bad thing? Well, I guess some people just don't see a human and romantic side to football. It's all about being consumed by bitterness, about lack of progress and unwillingness to really 'go for promotion'. Hell, I bet there's a Dale version of the Corporal just about to tuck into some humble pie, isn't there?

That said, if Dale weren't to make it, I'd be happy with County.

I'd love Dale to come up, I've never seen us play them competitively and I'd rather we play them with them going up than us going down. If they lose I won't lose any sleep over it but I miss the games we used to have against Wigan and Bury, proper derbies! Recently we've had to put up with Blackpool and Huddersfield, not really the same.

Wonderful if Dale come up. Their fans are seen as the most long-suffering in the football league so it's a great football story. I absolutely want them to come up. No ill-will towards them, and if they manage to stay up a few seasons (unlikely, but possible) and we manage to stay down (likely, and probably - go on Corp, get stuck in...) then we have some 'real' local derby's on our hands.

Sure, we've never been traditional rivals with each other, well not in the last 30 years anyway but it's good to have some local rivalry. I'll bet there's lots of Dale and Oldham fans that work together, drink together and perhaps live in the same households, and it's great that bragging rights may be fought over next season.

How could this be seen as a bad thing? Well, I guess some people just don't see a human and romantic side to football. It's all about being consumed by bitterness, about lack of progress and unwillingness to really 'go for promotion'. Hell, I bet there's a Dale version of the Corporal just about to tuck into some humble pie, isn't there?

Well said that man :OASISscarf:

In towns that are only several miles apart its only natural that people / families flit between the two towns to live. But you knew that because your not stupid.......

I was lucky I was allow to attend games in '87 for the first time (been going Yeds since a baby) which obviously fell in place with our first year tindering with promotion for some years. As a 15 year old with a three hour round trip on my own (no body in our family was interested in football), having to work Fri / Sat evenings to pay for the trip was great. I suppose nothings changes with the travel these days.

As for getting a rise out of my Corp ......... don't waste your time

This is surely the touchiest site on the entire 'net. :lol:

This bit, where you asked a question ...

....correlates to the Corps suggestion that he would be embarrassed at the prospect of playing Rochdale.

That isn't actually what I said-I said that I'd find it embarrassing if they left us behind in the way that other clubs generally regarded as smaller than Latics are doing with increasing frequency.

I wouldn't let it spoil my life, although I might moan about it on here and over a pint. But then, that's the way I am.

Who said it's a bad thing if they pull it off? I didn't and, as far as I can tell, nor did anybody else.

I'm all for the romantic side of football. I'd love to tuck into that humble pie.

Lance-Corporal Jack Jones

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jones is known for a number of eccentric traits, such as using long rambling explanations and anecdotes whenever he wants to make a point (which could usually be summed up in a sentence anyway). He is also invariably one step behind the rest of the platoon in any drill manoeuvre. He often makes far-fetched suggestions for the platoon,, Every time, Jones' suggestions are soundly refuted by Mainwaring with a curt "I think you're wandering into the realms of fantasy, Jones."

Trouble is, you're more like that white haired old doddery one than the Captain, Pete.