Joey Barton -

"Assault is a crime of intent, whereas causing death by dangerous driving (albeit, should've been death by driving under the influence - which means intent isn't in question due to causation - but wasn't coz he ran away) isn't."

Old can of worms....but let's not talk about intent on Barton and compare it to Hughes.....please!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle should sack him.

I'm pretty certain my employers would sack me for getting sent down for assault.

they're not gonna throw away ££ millions in his transfer fee though are they? and players know that!!

pre season in prison and then back to the highly paid job once you get bored of the celebrity status and the playstation

it's all wrong IMO

Barton didn't kill anyone.

Lee doesnt go Mcdonalds.

Barton is a dirty scouser and a thug... thinks hes rocka fella when hes a arrogant pr*ck.

Sack him but they will stand by him and when he comes out bang a £25000 on his bank account for his troubles...

Proves what idiots Keegan and his pie eating Chairman are!!

Why should't Barton be allowed to carry on playing football when so many others do? I'm fairly certain Woodgate, Terry, Bowyer have all been in trouble with the police and wasn't Tony Adams as well. Not to mention the many that have played for us over the years including the one we have at the moment.

Do the people who think Barton shouldn't be able to carry on playing cheer when Lee Hughes scores for us?

Why should't Barton be allowed to carry on playing football when so many others do? I'm fairly certain Woodgate, Terry, Bowyer have all been in trouble with the police and wasn't Tony Adams as well. Not to mention the many that have played for us over the years including the one we have at the moment.

Do the people who think Barton shouldn't be able to carry on playing cheer when Lee Hughes scores for us?

That will be a definite YES! The same people who cheer Hughes but would slate him and call for his head had he signed for another club other than ours. The irony is laughable.

That will be a definite YES! The same people who cheer Hughes but would slate him and call for his head had he signed for another club other than ours. The irony is laughable.

Gemma and bb80 - I think you're missing the point. (At least in terms of the way I see things - I shan't try to speak for everyone....)

Leaving the outstanding charges with respect to the Dabo incident aside for the moment...

Barton has been convicted of a violent crime with a custodial sentence. In most lines of work, that would be a sacking offence.

My argument is that it should be for him too.

What happens after he has served his punishment is another matter. He should then be free to take up employment again - even with his old club if they want him - and continue with his career. And if he screws up again, then the cycle resumes with (presumably) a longer sentence, and fewer clubs willing to take their chance with him.

If we must compare Barton and Hughes, please remember - when Hughes was convicted he was sacked by WBA (as I believe Barton should be). But I was one of those in favour when the prospect of him joining Oldham became public - having served his time, he should be allowed the chance to rebuild his life.

If we must compare Barton and Hughes, please remember - when Hughes was convicted he was sacked by WBA (as I believe Barton should be). But I was one of those in favour when the prospect of him joining Oldham became public - having served his time, he should be allowed the chance to rebuild his life.

Presumably Hughes was sacked because WBA didn't think they were going to get much value for money from paying his wages for some proportion of 5 years after his conviction. If he had got a couple of months they would have kept him on.

Presumably Hughes was sacked because WBA didn't think they were going to get much value for money from paying his wages for some proportion of 5 years after his conviction. If he had got a couple of months they would have kept him on.

Quite probably.

And for the same reason I expect Newcastle will "stand by" Barton.

Which IMO stinks. But there ye go.

Barton has been convicted of a violent crime with a custodial sentence. In most lines of work, that would be a sacking offence.

Most lines of work, but not all

I'm no trying to say that what Barton did was ok but i whenever a sports star or celebrity gets into a bit of bother the media and everyone jump on it and want them to be made an example of. He will go to prison, serve his time and when he comes out if he employer has chosen not to sack him then he can continue to work for them. It's the same in several professions not just football

Edited by Gemma06

I can't think of many.

And in football the only reason is financial.

A few lads in my year at college that i have kept in touch with a bit got into a fight on a night out, all got sent down for assault a few years ago and served a few months i cant remember exactly how long, and 3 out of the 5 kept their jobs, one was an electrician, one worked behind the counter in a shop and one worked in a call centre.

In this case yes it is probably financial, which is fair enough they dont want to throw their money away i can understand that

Joey Barton has been stupid and he is now paying with a custodial sentence. He will serve his time and be back out and playing.

Its upto Newcastle to decide if they want him to stay at the club, we are entitled to our opinions but once released he's served his time and is hopefully free to live a better life. If not he'll end up in prison again.

BTW lots of non-famous people are continually in front of the magistrate for assault, burglary, car theft and other so called petty crimes and walk free over and over again, so actually I am one of the few it seems to think that he has been harder done to being in the public eye.

BTW lots of non-famous people are continually in front of the magistrate for assault, burglary, car theft and other so called petty crimes and walk free over and over again, so actually I am one of the few it seems to think that he has been harder done to being in the public eye.

I think him being on bail at the time of the offence accounts for the sentence. It sounds like he really give one of the blokes a hammering as well, much more serious than if it had been a couple of lads having a kick off at closing time for example. He never seems to think anything is his fault, which is why I don't feel any need to cut him slack.

I don't know the details on this - but I do know that the scum who broke into my house with my wife asleep got away with it so a couple of pissed up lads taking a kicking for having a go at Barton doesnt warrant a jail term for me thats all.

However if it was a pre-meditated attack with no provocationto it leading then he deserves his sentence, which he has got anyway so either way he is being punished

I think him being on bail at the time of the offence accounts for the sentence. It sounds like he really give one of the blokes a hammering as well, much more serious than if it had been a couple of lads having a kick off at closing time for example. He never seems to think anything is his fault, which is why I don't feel any need to cut him slack.

It does sound a pretty bad assault, rather than just the odd thrown punch, and is probably about right for me. Not too sure how it compares to other similar non-famous situations, but I'd have a guess that it is a longer than average sentence he received.

As for not thinking it is his fault. He pleaded guilty.

It does sound a pretty bad assault, rather than just the odd thrown punch, and is probably about right for me. Not too sure how it compares to other similar non-famous situations, but I'd have a guess that it is a longer than average sentence he received.

As for not thinking it is his fault. He pleaded guilty.

Celebs and people in the limelight should be punished harder imo.....They are often role models to kids and a lot of people look up to them. So if any celebs step out of line it is more detrimental to society than if joe bloggs does it. They should therefore be punished for this accordingly. You often hear judges stating that they provide harsher punishments to celebs to make an example of them to the nation that what they are doing is wrong, primarily the younger generation which are easily influenced...

If I was sent to prison for 6 months I would lose my job. That said, im not worth x millions of pounds. Its an issue for Newcastle United and there supporters. Nothing to do with me or you. The justice system has done its job, he should serve his time and then be left to continue his life. If Newcastle wish to keep him then its there choice. Its just like the Lee Hughes madness. He served his time and now should be allowed to continue working. I dont see why Newcastle and their fans should lose out on millions of pounds just for another club to cash in.

Celebs and people in the limelight should be punished harder imo.....They are often role models to kids and a lot of people look up to them. So if any celebs step out of line it is more detrimental to society than if joe bloggs does it. They should therefore be punished for this accordingly. You often hear judges stating that they provide harsher punishments to celebs to make an example of them to the nation that what they are doing is wrong, primarily the younger generation which are easily influenced...

But don't you think thats wrong? Shouldn't everyone be equal when on trial? Why should someones profession determine what type of sentence they get. If a child decides to go and take drugs because they've read about their favourite rock star doing it or if they go and beat someone up because they've seen their favourite football player do it thats down to to the parents/guardians for not teaching them right from wrong. If judges are doing it to set an example for kids then all they are showing them is that people get treated differently and its ok for one person to break the law but not another, isn't that sending mixed messages to them?

I agree here everybody moans when a celebrity, politician or somebody in the limelight is perceived to have had special treatment or got away with something you or I wouldn't have done yet when they are treated in the same way we seem to have an issue with this as well - You can't have it both ways unless you want an old Russian style legal system where "everybody is equal but some are more equal than others"

Again I don't know the full detail re Barto's case but it does look like he took responsibility for what he had done by pleading guilty

But don't you think thats wrong? Shouldn't everyone be equal when on trial? Why should someones profession determine what type of sentence they get. If a child decides to go and take drugs because they've read about their favourite rock star doing it or if they go and beat someone up because they've seen their favourite football player do it thats down to to the parents/guardians for not teaching them right from wrong. If judges are doing it to set an example for kids then all they are showing them is that people get treated differently and its ok for one person to break the law but not another, isn't that sending mixed messages to them?

Not really saying its ok to break the law is it.... they would still get punished accordingly......But celebrities should take it on theirselves that they have a responsibility to act in more appropriate manner, because their behaviour is more likely to be noticed and picked up on.

If i was a policeman i would have a responsibility to drive more cautiously than a regular car driver....

I suppose it depends what camp you sit in a wooly liberal or a tory....i tend to be more for firm punishment these days as im sick and tired of all these human rights that are comin to the fore with new labour...

Not really saying its ok to break the law is it.... they would still get punished accordingly......But celebrities should take it on theirselves that they have a responsibility to act in more appropriate manner, because their behaviour is more likely to be noticed and picked up on.

If i was a policeman i would have a responsibility to drive more cautiously than a regular car driver....

I suppose it depends what camp you sit in a wooly liberal or a tory....i tend to be more for firm punishment these days as im sick and tired of all these human rights that are comin to the fore with new labour...

Yeah dam those Human rights.....you call it tory i call it fascist....

Everyone should be treated the same by the justice system, your job, race, political feelings shouldnt come into it....

Edited by oafc0000

Yeah dam those Human rights.....you call it tory i call it fascist....

Everyone should be treated the same by the justice system, your job, race, political feelings shouldnt come into it....

Of course there has got to be a line drawn somewhere in regards to human rights, but things seem to be getting a bit out of hand don't you think with all the political correctness these days... If we all want to be the same we may as well turn to communism.....what an exciting life that would be...

Of course there has got to be a line drawn somewhere in regards to human rights, but things seem to be getting a bit out of hand don't you think with all the political correctness these days... If we all want to be the same we may as well turn to communism.....what an exciting life that would be...

Politcal correctness and human rights are two very seperate issues....