Joey Barton -

I suppose it depends what camp you sit in a wooly liberal or a tory....i tend to be more for firm punishment these days as im sick and tired of all these human rights that are comin to the fore with new labour...

I'm not saying they shouldn't be punished, of course they should, i just don't get why the justice system should be different for different people.

I'm not normally a wooly liberal politically correct person by the way who jumps down everyones throat as soon as they say something that may offend someone somewhere the world, it's just i don't understand why people assume celebrities should be a role model to everyone and behave perfectly, many of them don't want their every move reported on in the tabloid press. I did some volountary work briefly with kids who had been in trouble with the police and stuff and the amount of parent who blamed celebrities for their kids crimes was unbelievable, they never taught them right from wrong, told them they didnt have to go to school and told them that when they stole cars, beat people up or whatever it was they had done it wasn't their fault. It's just a little thing that annoys me i suppose so i'll shut up going on about it now :blush:

Edited by Gemma06

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barton did plead guilty, but then you might as well if there is a load of CCTV and witness evidence proving that you were sitting on someone’s chest filling his face in face several minutes. He is a Scouser, he will have done what his brief told him to do to minimise the sentence. I saw a lengthy interview he did a couple of months ago for that crappy sports show with the formerly-fit Gaby Logan where he spouted the biggest pile of self-pitying rubbish about how he had never done anything wrong and it was just the media picking on him. I agree 100% though that celebrities should be equal under the law. And, criticism of human rights is completely muddied by comparatively recent notions of positive liberty, rather than the traditional concept as your rights being the absence of coercion, as anyone who has read Isaiah Berlin’s, “Two Concepts of Liberty,” could tell you.