• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant quite make out what Kieran says just after he says "I had troubles down at qpr with?" what does he say after with? is it"other things"?

i think he said ''with the thing''

probably means problems with the travel or something like that

From tonight's rarely wrong Chron:

Lee looking to make his mark

by MICHAEL YARWOOD

NEW signing Kieran Lee is focused on making an instant impact with Athletic after rejoining his first club.

Lee arrived from Manchester United in a permanent deal this week – seven years after leaving the Boundary Park Centre of Excellence.

He was snapped up by United at the age of 12 and gradually rose through the system to become a member of the first-team squad.

He quit United on the day they became European champions but has no regrets about his switch to Athletic.

“I can’t wait for the new season to start,” said Lee, who was born and raised in nearby Stalybridge.

“It has been a bit strange leaving United at such an important time for the club, but I’ve known for a while that it was going to happen.

“They were giving me a free transfer and a few people were interested, but when Oldham came along it was definitely the best option.

“Being in Stalybridge was a big factor and Oldham have a reputation as a footballing team, which will hopefully suit me.

“I already know a bit about the club because I was here as a kid and some of my mates are fans – they will be putting me under pressure now.

“Everybody here is talking about going for promotion next season, so that was another reason I was keen.”

Lee (19) made a handful of senior appearances for United and spent part of last season on loan at Queens Park Rangers.

The Championship side were keen on taking him back, but he instead dropped into League One on a two-year contract.

Lee can play in several positions and, although he favours central midfield, Athletic believe his versatility could be important.

He went on: “The big thing for me is just to get regular first-team football, whether it’s in midfield, at full-back or wherever.

“Obviously United are a massive club, but the time was right to move on because I need to progress my career.

“I’ve played with some top players, which is great, but I want to get games week in, week out, instead of having a lot of reserve-team football.

“Hopefully that will happen next season. I want to make a good start with Oldham, win my place in the team and then keep it.”

Lee was Athletic’s first summer arrival, just ahead of highly-rated goalkeeper Greg Fleming, who agreed a three-year contract.

There will be more signings in the next few weeks as the Boundary Park side are keen to conclude their dealings early.

Another big positive is he is a lad who wanted to move and play football. Lots of kids at that age are not happy being loaned out / moved on, but he is obviously someone who wants to play football.

“I already know a bit about the club because I was here as a kid and some of my mates are fans – they will be putting me under pressure now.

A clear acknowledgement to Miss Smartzatart! :grin:

“Everybody here is talking about going for promotion next season, so that was another reason I was keen.”

This is the kind of comment that needs to be marketed. Well done to The Chron for publishing it but how about a few Billboards up with headlines such as:-

"Former Man United Player of The Year is spearheading Latics drive for Promotion. Come and experience the thrill of live, entertaining football at Boundary Park"

or

"Top International Keeper signs as Latics march on The Championship. Come and experience the thrill of live, entertaining football at Boundary Park"

Ok, so it's a bit of spin but hopefully, there will be more signings to come. But it may show a few that we are serious. Clearly, we will need to do things on the pitch but as the Season progresses, it would be good to see some real marketing off it to draw in the fans.

A clear acknowledgement to Miss Smartzatart! :grin:

This is the kind of comment that needs to be marketed. Well done to The Chron for publishing it but how about a few Billboards up with headlines such as:-

"Former Man United Player of The Year is spearheading Latics drive for Promotion. Come and experience the thrill of live, entertaining football at Boundary Park"

or

"Top International Keeper signs as Latics march on The Championship. Come and experience the thrill of live, entertaining football at Boundary Park"

Ok, so it's a bit of spin but hopefully, there will be more signings to come. But it may show a few that we are serious. Clearly, we will need to do things on the pitch but as the Season progresses, it would be good to see some real marketing off it to draw in the fans.

Nah with Bugby's taglines, more likely to be "Latics sign next Michael Clegg and Stereotypical Scottish Keeper as season ticket sales take alarming downturn and fans accept third division mediocrity. On a brighter note Yoonited are Champs of europe, 28 page colour spread."

Nah with Bugby's taglines, more likely to be "Latics sign next Michael Clegg and Stereotypical Scottish Keeper as season ticket sales take alarming downturn and fans accept third division mediocrity. On a brighter note Yoonited are Champs of europe, 28 page colour spread."

Yep. Alarming amount of coverage in the Chron with regards to all that.

Was it Donny who last season (well season before last whatever) had "Destination Championship" at the side of the ground? Guess they weren't too far off with it if they win on Sunday.

We really should take the board at the top of Sheepfoot Lane and get a regular thing on there.

Yep. Alarming amount of coverage in the Chron with regards to all that.

Was it Donny who last season (well season before last whatever) had "Destination Championship" at the side of the ground? Guess they weren't too far off with it if they win on Sunday.

We really should take the board at the top of Sheepfoot Lane and get a regular thing on there.

Since they scrappd the free Adobe version, I just read the headlines on line. Won't buy that ###### stirring rag ever again.

The story is by Mike Yarwood though and he is Latics through and through.

While the Club have had dodgy relationships in the past with certain people at The Chron, Mike does a lot of good work with Latics and if you notice, the negative stories (Ferney Fields Fiasco, Chaytow Bid etc) tend to be written by someone else who perhaps has an axe to grind.

I have spoken with Mike on a few occasions and he is 100% a genuine Latics fanatic and has been since he was a youngster. He probably knows half as much as you do mate about Latics' History and that's a lot!

Since they scrappd the free Adobe version, I just read the headlines on line. Won't buy that ###### stirring rag ever again.

I wasn't best pleased to see it over the front page let alone some full page travel review a few pages in.

This is what the Manchester Evening News is for :o

As he was reserve player of year wanted to know how good previous winners were (1996/7 must have been a bad year):

Season Denzil Haroun Reserve Team Player of the Year

1989-90 Mark Robins

1990-91 Jason Lydiate

1991-92 Brian Carey

1992-93 Colin McKee

1993-94 Nicky Butt

1994-95 Kevin Pilkington

1995-96 Michael Appleton

1996-97 Michael Clegg

1997-98 Michael Twiss

1998-99 Mark Wilson

1999-00 Jonathan Greening

2000-01 Michael Stewart

2001-02 John O'Shea

2002-03 Darren Fletcher

2003-04 David Jones

2004-05 Sylvan Ebanks-Blake

2005-06 Giuseppe Rossi

2006-07 Kieran Lee

2007-08 Richard Eckersley

As he was reserve player of year wanted to know how good previous winners were (1996/7 must have been a bad year):

1989-90 Mark Robins

1990-91 Jason Lydiate

1991-92 Brian Carey

1992-93 Colin McKee

1993-94 Nicky Butt

1994-95 Kevin Pilkington

1995-96 Michael Appleton

1996-97 Michael Clegg

1997-98 Michael Twiss

1998-99 Mark Wilson

2000-01 Michael Stewart

2001-02 John O'Shea

2002-03 Darren Fletcher

2003-04 David Jones

2005-06 Giuseppe Rossi

2006-07 Kieran Lee

Bit of a mixed bag that lot. Good info seeking but still kinda leaves us in the dark somewhat!!

The story is by Mike Yarwood though and he is Latics through and through.

While the Club have had dodgy relationships in the past with certain people at The Chron, Mike does a lot of good work with Latics and if you notice, the negative stories (Ferney Fields Fiasco, Chaytow Bid etc) tend to be written by someone else who perhaps has an axe to grind.

I have spoken with Mike on a few occasions and he is 100% a genuine Latics fanatic and has been since he was a youngster. He probably knows half as much as you do mate about Latics' History and that's a lot!

Disagree Jeff, he's no-where near as negative as Bugby but he does have his moments and often his back page headlines are a bit doom and gloom at times AND he was the instigator of the perceived feud (allegedly) between Latics Media and the Chron. Scott Taylor? McLaren deal? I'm sure the Fernyfield Story was penned by him too. Finally, he seems to take great delight in setting Corney up. He knows Simon wears his heart on his sleeve and takes great delight in knocking over crosses whilst Simon nods 'em in. Ok probably doing his job and often his reports are quite entertaining but at the end of the day he's a journo for a local rag.

1989-90 Mark Robins

1990-91 Jason Lydiate

1991-92 Brian Carey

1992-93 Colin McKee

1993-94 Nicky Butt

1994-95 Kevin Pilkington

1995-96 Michael Appleton

1996-97 Michael Clegg

1997-98 Michael Twiss

1998-99 Mark Wilson

2000-01 Michael Stewart

2001-02 John O'Shea

2002-03 Darren Fletcher

2003-04 David Jones

2005-06 Giuseppe Rossi

2006-07 Kieran Lee

Most, thats MOST on this list would have improved our team.

Spot on... as has been said before mike could have moved on from the chron many times, however he stays as he has his dream job - he is latics through and through and a great reporter... the bilge comes when he takes a holiday, or editorial cover a latics related story...

or

This is exactly what should happen, but not to bring up an old thread, you know it wont as blatantly no-one at Oldham has any clue about marketing, especially not casper the commercial manager... these are simple things, but as far as I can see the club just sit staring at the phone, hoping someone may call to buy a place at thier next pie and pea supper follwing yet another 3rd division match...

It really sods me off... we have just signed (from one point of view) and international keeper and an ex-prem youngster who turned down a contract with the richest club in the world to sign for us... and I bet it hasnt even woken the marketing dept from thier afternoon nap...

This is exactly what should happen, but not to bring up an old thread, you know it wont as blatantly no-one at Oldham has any clue about marketing, especially not casper the commercial manager... these are simple things, but as far as I can see the club just sit staring at the phone, hoping someone may call to buy a place at thier next pie and pea supper follwing yet another 3rd division match...

It really sods me off... we have just signed (from one point of view) and international keeper and an ex-prem youngster who turned down a contract with the richest club in the world to sign for us... and I bet it hasnt even woken the marketing dept from thier afternoon nap...

Trust me on this one but the "ideas" thread has been discussed with OAFC and some of the things will be taken forward either directly or with the help of OWTB and its Members.

To give Bob Gorrill his due though, his responsibility is Commercial Manager. That isn't the same as Marketing. His job (and I believe he is part-time like the last guy) is to bring in The Corporate stuff as opposed to fans through the turnstile, shop sales etc.

From what I can see, marketing is one of the hundreds of plates that Alan Hardy has to keep spinning. Again though, I may be wrong.

Trust me on this one but the "ideas" thread has been discussed with OAFC and some of the things will be taken forward either directly or with the help of OWTB and its Members.

To give Bob Gorrill his due though, his responsibility is Commercial Manager. That isn't the same as Marketing. His job (and I believe he is part-time like the last guy) is to bring in The Corporate stuff as opposed to fans through the turnstile, shop sales etc.

From what I can see, marketing is one of the hundreds of plates that Alan Hardy has to keep spinning. Again though, I may be wrong.

Oh, I know that Mate, a commercial manger is vastly different to a Marketing manager which is part of my bugbear... and my dig was not really at Casper :wink: but at the whole philosophy of the club.. lets do nowt as its noones responsibility and the Simon Corney can have a rant as no-one comes through the turnstiles...because although I love the TTA they are salesmen, and salesmen inherently dont get marketing... oh and at the same time lets copy merchandise off OWTB (used to) and have a feud with the chron that no-one really seems to know what it is about anymore... Dont even get me started on the clubs attempts at PR (stop corney speaking please!)

... the fact that the club has to use "owtb and its members" is a farce to me... would love to look at the marketing structure of the clubs Peers and see how far behind we are....

tell you what, i spent 8 years getting my various marketing qualifactions - give me a free season ticket, bed and board, and a signed Lee Hughes shirt and ill sort the club out in a couple of months! :wink:

... the fact that the club has to use "owtb and its members" is a farce to me... would love to look at the marketing structure of the clubs Peers and see how far behind we are....

Maybe I put that the wrong way or maybe you misinterpreted what I meant.

We (through the incredibly proactive and hard-working Philliggi) provided the ideas from our Members to OAFC. It is only right that we (as the OWTB Community) want to stay involved and help where necessary. Anything that comes of it will be voluntary and as we have shown before, the fans have a powerful voice and loads of enthusiasm for getting things done. The Club haven't asked for our help but we have offered it and there is the big difference.

I agree the Club need to do more but personally, I'd rather see investment into the playing side of things rather than the off-field activity. I know that if you get one right then it will influence the other but as CJ rightly points out, people will only come back if the right things are happening on a Saturday afternoon on the hallowed turf.

I'd happily give the club some of my time to help bring the marketing activities/approach together. I've offered on a couple of occasions before but never had any response. (not a criticism btw, just possibly not the right time). As you say bigfin, free season ticket (even then I'd probably pay for one aswell) and access to the TTA's business contacts and I'd be happy.

10 years in marketing and my own marketing agency, perhaps it's time to drop another call in... :mmm:

I'd happily give the club some of my time to help bring the marketing activities/approach together. I've offered on a couple of occasions before but never had any response. (not a criticism btw, just possibly not the right time). As you say bigfin, free season ticket (even then I'd probably pay for one aswell) and access to the TTA's business contacts and I'd be happy.

10 years in marketing and my own marketing agency, perhaps it's time to drop another call in... :mmm:

I'll find out where we are up to with this from Philliggi and perhaps we can get something worked out.

Thanks for your offer and either me or Phill will be in touch.

Like others ive text a red mate - he's a rare knowledgable member of the worlds least knowledgable fans and watches the reserves regularly.

Me: Hello you red ****. Is Kieron Lee any good?

Red ****: Very good. Captains the reserves quite a lot. Why?

Me: Excellent. Latics have just signed him

Red ****: On loan?

Me: Nope...2 year deal

Red ****: Blimey. Fergie used to rave about him. Good dribbler with a decent shot. Can play in the middle of the park too. Likes going out raving though!

Like others ive text a red mate - he's a rare knowledgable member of the worlds least knowledgable fans and watches the reserves regularly.

Me: Hello you red ****. Is Kieron Lee any good?

Red ****: Very good. Captains the reserves quite a lot. Why?

Me: Excellent. Latics have just signed him

Red ****: On loan?

Me: Nope...2 year deal

Red ****: Blimey. Fergie used to rave about him. Good dribbler with a decent shot. Can play in the middle of the park too. Likes going out raving though!

not sure about the raving from what i hear he,s a quiet lad.