Very good days trading for Latics

We definately need a tall striker who will just play down the middle. I've never seen a Latics strike partnership that plays so far away from eachother than Davies and Hughes. Both like to go out wide, especially the former, which is fine but there needs to be some sort of presence in the middle that can act as a 'go between' the two, or better still can stick it in the net himself. Either of the Leon's would do this.

True, but I'd love to be able to put a montage of last season together with Davies when he ran out wide and when he didn't.....the montage would clearly show who was playing RW in them games.....his ventures over there comes when a certain old man can't get down his line and slides the ball in behind the full back, causing Davies to come out onto the wing. Hopefully we won't be seeing this half as much, if at all next season as the old man will be on the bench.

True, but I'd love to be able to put a montage of last season together with Davies when he ran out wide and when he didn't.....the montage would clearly show who was playing RW in them games.....his ventures over there comes when a certain old man can't get down his line and slides the ball in behind the full back, causing Davies to come out onto the wing. Hopefully we won't be seeing this half as much, if at all next season as the old man will be on the bench.

I think Liddell will be used in other areas more next season, possibly starting on the bench. I'm sure Smalley is earmarked as first choice right winger.

I'd also be wanting a big lad, rather than a different version of what we already have. Although Hughes can win and hold balls better than others, I'd be surprised if he played anything like the full season. We have players coming out of our ears who can run onto balls, but continually winning balls we seem to have a shortage.

Although I didn't see it with Clarke (and to be honest I didn't see much at all in him) Leon II looked to have more about him. To me though, these two come at a (wage related) price. I think either would end up our top earner and I can't think that is the soundest move. You'd think there'll have been a good look at lower division players/premiership castoffs and one of these may be more suitable to our wage structure (someone like John Akinde for instance looked good every time I saw him and would not cost a fortune).

You'd think there'll have been a good look at lower division players/premiership castoffs and one of these may be more suitable to our wage structure (someone like John Akinde for instance looked good every time I saw him and would not cost a fortune).

If MyFootballClub Members are asked to vote on the sale of John Akinde to Latics, you can rest assured which way I shall vote.

I am pleased all at the club seem to have learnt the lessons of recent seasons of waiting on players and leaving it late to move on the transfer market. Either players dithering on re-signing or allowing targets to much time. This season we've seen all the youngsters we want signed up to long term deals and the older pro's (apart from Stam, or is he on another 12 months?) signed or told to leave. Pleased that Gary Mac did the right thing and spoke early of his intentions cos now he's gone with a clean slate, so thanks Gary!.

Now yesterday we've seen two young players come in who if they knuckle down can become good footballers with plenty career ahead of them. They'll have plenty energy for sure, yet we don't know their pedigree yet. The officials within the club for me are making the right noises and have this time got it right with amassing the squad early. Shez and Tommy are having the boys back in sooner to work with them and this new physio sounds like he means business and states he's not here to be the players mates and will work them. Looking forward to the new season now.

Edited by Lags

I agree 100% lags. Reading the Tommy Wright interview he makes all the right noises, saying things like "It doesn't matter if you are 18 or 38, if you are good enough". Too often for me we have looked to bring in experience. I just want us to bring in quality.

For the last 3 years we have had a big overhaul of the squad. Its not needed, players adding to it is whats needed and I finally think Shez has worked out that bringing 1 player on £3k a week is not as good as 3 on 1k a week at this level. (Wages were just estimates!)

Onwards and upwards!

Just sussed it. We are doing our signings whilst Donny are otherwise engaged, Tranmere are deciding if Ronnie should stay and mobile phones are off the air down Sheepfoot Lane (i assume) .......A VERY CUNNING PLAN..

Credit must also be given to the fitting of a deadlock on the exit door at BP.

Like the majority of members on this board I'm very pleased not only with the potential quality of the 2 lads we've signed but also the fact the deals have been tied up so early.

As far as the striker situation is concerned, I really do believe that we need a target man who's good in the air, even if it's only from the bench.

Although I'm too damned lazy to back this up (statto's to the rescue, please!), I'm pretty sure that Chris Porter scored as many headed goals in his final season than the whole of our team did in the last one.

:sleeping:

Well at least the old man no longer only plays it back to Eardley or inside to the midfiels, slowing attacks down as a result. Make your mind up.

A good footballer plays a pass to where the recipient is already running - not vice versa.

I'm pleased that Latics have been active this early, and it shows that despite what some think, the management were hard at work preparing before the season ended.

No-one knows how this will turn out, other than indications from what other fans have said on messageboards, which is always to be taken with a shovelful of salt IMO. What can assertain from it, and especially from Lee is that Kalala is probably close to finding a club. I feel Lee is a cheaper option to Livermore, so am still expecting a natural left winger/full back type player, creative midfielder and striker to arrive yet.

Glad we have the goalie situation resolved now. Good competition is vital and I'm sure Norm will miss a few games through injury this coming season. All in all, a promising start to the summer.

i have seen lee play on numerous occasions for man u v latics in the msc,he is excellent in midfield imo,have also seen him filling in at full back,he is a good player and only young so hopefully can only get better

Edited by dkenyonqfc2

:sleeping:

Well at least the old man no longer only plays it back to Eardley or inside to the midfiels, slowing attacks down as a result. Make your mind up.

A good footballer plays a pass to where the recipient is already running - not vice versa.

That he also does, on the occassions he is further forward. Glad you're taking note.

Edited by boundaryblue80

In his spare time the old man is coaching Chelski players and the 'best player in the world'in the art of penalty taking. :wink:

Exactly. League one can be used as a stepping stone with Latics? But regardless...

I'd much rather have players here who go on to bigger things without latics, than players that dont. It means we've bought good players who have done well with us. Much better than having players who dont.

Agree totally. Wondering whether there's some form of sell-on clause for Lee. Wouldn't be surprising - even the Satans wouldn't say no to some future income (to help pay the interest on their £700 million debt).

Edited by LaticsPete

Just sussed it. We are doing our signings whilst Donny are otherwise engaged, Tranmere are deciding if Ronnie should stay and mobile phones are off the air down Sheepfoot Lane (i assume) .......A VERY CUNNING PLAN.. Tap Taggart up whilst hes still happy and perhaps we could get PS on a loan with wages paid. :grin:

Bingo B)