Guest oa_exile
The same Martin Buchan who ended Colin Bell's career. He's not the most popular man amongst the C*ty fans.

Are you sure it's the same Martin Buchan who played for the Latics in the 70's as did Paul Edwards who also played for the Latics in the 70's , I heard Paul was originally a paper boy who "came good" after reading the back pages and thought "You know what , I could do that" ^_^

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure it's the same Martin Buchan who played for the Latics in the 70's as did Paul Edwards who also played for the Latics in the 70's , I heard Paul was originally a paper boy who "came good" after reading the back pages and thought "You know what , I could do that" ^_^

If you mean this guy :

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1211204/

And this one :

http://www.pauledwardscomedy.com/video.htm

Then, yes.

The sooner all people who say we are in Greater Manchester are subjected to a red hot poker the better!

We are in Greater Manchester, as are several other former Lancashire towns (including the city of Manchester.) When Greater Manchester council was abandoned, the county continued as an administrative region.

Lancashire is similarly an administrative region (although possibly with a still functioning county council?), containing only a part of the old county territory.

That doesn't mean that the towns that were formerly in Lancashire, such as our own, cannot regard themselves as historically Lancastrian.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

We are in Greater Manchester, as are several other former Lancashire towns (including the city of Manchester.) When Greater Manchester council was abandoned, the county continued as an administrative region.

Lancashire is similarly an administrative region (although possibly with a still functioning county council?), containing only a part of the old county territory.

That doesn't mean that the towns that were formerly in Lancashire, such as our own, cannot regard themselves as historically Lancastrian.

The bottom line is, Corp, that whilst we still live in a free country I will always use Oldham Lancs. You are most welcome to regard yourself as a Manc or supporting a team in Greater Manchester if that lights your candle, but me, never.

As regards our current club badge, I think it's fine as it is.

The bottom line is, Corp, that whilst we still live in a free country I will always use Oldham Lancs. You are most welcome to regard yourself as a Manc or supporting a team in Greater Manchester if that lights your candle, but me, never.

As regards our current club badge, I think it's fine as it is.

Yes-I quite clearly say above that we are obliged to regard ourselves as Mancs, as this 'lights my candle.'

Although by a trick of the light, when you read my post it actually looks as if I merely explained that we are officially part of Greater Manchester as opposed to Lancashire.

Yes-I quite clearly say above that we are obliged to regard ourselves as Mancs, as this 'lights my candle.'

Although by a trick of the light, when you read my post it actually looks as if I merely explained that we are officially part of Greater Manchester as opposed to Lancashire.

What is quite clear is that it's no surprise to me that a lot of other posters resort to personal comments when corresponding with you.

I was going to say that my postal address most certainly does not include the words "Greater Manchester".

But seeing as I live in Cheshire, I don't suppose that's relevant. :blink:

When I lived in Royton, my postal address was definitely, "Royton, Oldham, Lancs.".

And I have to say I'm a bit more likely to identify with my postal address than with an organisational area for fire brigades and passenger transport authorities.

So we agree that Lancashire is administered by a County Council. Please tell us which administrative body administers Greater Manchester.

I was going to say that my postal address most certainly does not include the words "Greater Manchester".

When I lived in Royton, my postal address was definitely, "Royton, Oldham, Lancs.".

And I have to say I'm a bit more likely to identify with my postal address than with an organisational area for fire brigades and passenger transport authorities.

Postal addresses are for the purpose of sorting mail items, nothing to do with where people actually live. Once sorted the postman/woman ignores the postcode for delivery purposes.My post code is Derby but I live in Staffordshire.

My post code is Derby but I live in Staffordshire.

JUST.

Keep your eyes peeled, they could sneekily push the boundary back a couple of hundred yards and you'll immediately have stepped back in time 50 years. I believe Edwina had plans to expand her evil empire at one point.

So we agree that Lancashire is administered by a County Council. Please tell us which administrative body administers Greater Manchester.

We've agreed on nothing, hence the question mark in the relevant part of my original post.

Don't take my word for it, look it up, children.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Parts of what was originally Cheshire are also in Greater Manchester.

Stockport for instance.

I've never heard so much garbage - bickering over administrative regions and political boundaries. FFS.

Martin Buchan?

I know-but what can you say to people who decide for themselves where they live rather than simply checking the facts, and reply to anything apart from what you've actually written?

Postal addresses are for the purpose of sorting mail items, nothing to do with where people actually live. Once sorted the postman/woman ignores the postcode for delivery purposes.My post code is Derby but I live in Staffordshire.

I seem to remember that they once took a survey of people who live in "new" counties. The people of Cumbria (which is made up of parts of Lancs, Yorks, Westmorland and Cumberland) were most accepting of their new status. When I was living in Kendal I found this to be true; Kendalians would refer to themseves as Cumbrians.

However, our postal code was LA (that's Lancaster not Los Angeles!!). I'm not really sure what this proves other than postal codes bear no relationship to where you live.

Growing up in Staffordshire I too had a Derbyshire postcode. This has always irritated me and I used to leave it off any correspondence I entered into to!

Incidentally, I am a Lancastrian. Although I can appreciate that anyone born in Oldham after 1/4/74 may consider themselves a "Greater (Than) Mancunian"!!

But, as the man said, "It's not where you're from. It's where you're at."

Edited by ThaiLatic

I seem to remember that they once took a survey of people who live in "new" counties. The people of Cumbria (which is made up of parts of Lancs, Yorks, Westmorland and Cumberland) were most accepting of their new status. When I was living in Kendal I found this to be true; Kendalians would refer to themseves as Cumbrians.

However, our postal code was LA (that's Lancaster not Los Angeles!!). I'm not really sure what this proves other than postal codes bear no relationship to where you live.

Growing up in Staffordshire I too had a Derbyshire postcode. This has always irritated me and I used to leave it off any correspondence I entered into to!

Incidentally, I am a Lancastrian. Although I can appreciate that anyone born in Oldham after 1/4/74 may consider themselves a "Greater (Than) Mancunian"!!

But, as the man said, "It's not where you're from. It's where you're at."

None of this has anything to do with postcodes, by the way. The post office uses a different system of organisation entirely. Failsworth, for example, has been officially part of Oldham since 1974 and throughout that time, as it did before, has had a Manchester postcode. This is despite the fact that it was never a part of the city of Manchester prior to being shunted into Oldham.

Parliamentary constituencies are different again. Failsworth has been in Openshaw, Oldham West and is now, I think, part of an Ashton constituency.

The last word:

Greater Manchester is a metropolitan county in North West England, with a population of 2.55 million.[2] It encompasses one of the largest metropolitan areas in the United Kingdom and comprises ten metropolitan boroughs: Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan, and the cities of Salford and Manchester. Greater Manchester was created on 1 April 1974 as a result of the Local Government Act 1972.[1]

Greater Manchester is landlocked, and as a ceremonial county borders Cheshire (to the south-west and south), Derbyshire (to the south-east), West Yorkshire (to the north-east), Lancashire (to the north) and Merseyside (to the west). The Greater Manchester Urban Area is the United Kingdom's third most populous conurbation, and spans across most of the county's territory.

Greater Manchester County Council was abolished in 1986, and so its districts (the metropolitan boroughs) are now effectively unitary authority areas. However, the metropolitan county, which is some 496 square miles (1,285 km²),[3] continues to exist in law and as a geographic frame of reference.[4] Several county-wide services are co-ordinated via the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities.

Before the creation of the metropolitan county, the name SELNEC was used for the area, taken from the initials of "South East Lancashire North East Cheshire". Greater Manchester is an amalgamation of 70 former local government districts from the former administrative counties of Lancashire, Cheshire and Yorkshire, West Riding and several independent county boroughs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Manchester