o grady signing confirmed

Guest oa_exile
No doubt the player didnt fancy a 3 year deal....

I doubt we paid the sort of money we did for Porter. The porter deal should never have happened for a two year contract. That was clearly a mistake. O'Grady transfer fee wouldnt of been as high I reckon so the 2 years couldnt of been argued as much, considering other clubs were intrested as well.

Sorry missed your post , see my post above

Rotherham paid £65K for him so I would assume they would want to at least recoup that amount ? unless they were desperate for funds since they are in Admin.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
Might we just cash in now then? Not suggesting it but will he be here come the end of season?

As i quoted it will be an issue at some point next season , maybe not now but come January there may be some itchy bums at BP especially if he is doing well.

Edited by oa_exile

Guest oa_exile
This is a strange one an article on the Rotherham site slates O'Grady for "opportunism" in giving his 14 day notice re wage deferal, question is did he get paid or not. If not he was on a free despite being on a 30 month contract signed in 2006. Doubt its anywhere near £65k Also says he was treated like Royalty.... ???

There was some specualation a while ago about us signing him due to the default on payments , etc.

That is why I was not surprised when he did eventually sign for us.

This is a strange one an article on the Rotherham site slates O'Grady for "opportunism" in giving his 14 day notice re wage deferal, question is did he get paid or not. If not he was on a free despite being on a 30 month contract signed in 2006. Doubt its anywhere near £65k Also says he was treated like Royalty.... ???

Sorry, sympathetic to Rotherham's plight but this is the same club that was sniffing around several of our players during our summer of hell Carss, Eyre, Eyres, Murray and Baudet. They signed Baudet on a free. Payback 'tis a bitch 'aint it? yer dirty unwashed Ronnie Moore loving Sheffield wannabees.............

Bet he scores more than Ricketts!

(To The tune of Umbrella (Manics' version, from 44 seconds in) )

When he comes on he'll score a goal

When he starts he'll score another

You can't have our Chris O'Grady

You can't have our Chris O'Grady

Grady Grady! O! O! O!

He's our Chris O'Grady! Grady Grady! O, O, O, O-O-O!

straight into an easy

Chriiiiiis O'Grady! *clap-clap, clap-clap, clap*

I haven't seen anyone slagging off the signing of O' Grady, but surely people have to admit it is slightly underwhelming. I was hoping it was Constantine, a proven goalscorer at this level, and if not him Clarke or Holt.

O' Grady's scoring ratio is hardly impressive, but in a better team this may change and lets hope it will. But this signing is hardly exciting

Guest oa_exile
Sorry, sympathetic to Rotherham's plight but this is the same club that was sniffing around several of our players during our summer of hell Carss, Eyre, Eyres, Murray and Baudet. They signed Baudet on a free. Payback 'tis a bitch 'aint it? yer dirty unwashed Ronnie Moore loving Sheffield wannabees.............

Ditto , just read this on a Roverscum MB , add "Clueless inbreds" onto your post :grin:

Posted by redandgreen on 28 May 2008 10:22

re: re: re: O'grady signs ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Underlines Oldham's lack of scruples. Firstly they sign the convict Hughes, whilst he's still in prison!, then they think of nothing of picking up a player with a financial value from a struggling side for free. I wonder how the idiots in the home end will cope with O'Grady being mixed race.

Few things to get my teeth into but I wont :angel:

i also think it is disrespectful to smalley and lewis, who did well last season and we are bringing in a striker that will be ahead of them in the pecking order

O'grady was Rotherham's joint top scorer last season. Despite Lewis and Dean having potential I would hardly describe them as being anywhere near prolific scorers so yes they are likely to be further down the pecking order.

I haven't seen anyone slagging off the signing of O' Grady, but surely people have to admit it is slightly underwhelming. I was hoping it was Constantine, a proven goalscorer at this level, and if not him Clarke or Holt.

O' Grady's scoring ratio is hardly impressive, but in a better team this may change and lets hope it will. But this signing is hardly exciting

I don't think we could sign Clarke, Contantine or Holt. The problem with them are they are obvious choices so would cost a lot more just because of that fact. Obvious does not always = good signing.

No doubt the player didnt fancy a 3 year deal....

I doubt we paid the sort of money we did for Porter. The porter deal should never have happened for a two year contract. That was clearly a mistake. O'Grady transfer fee wouldnt of been as high I reckon so the 2 years couldnt of been argued as much, considering other clubs were intrested as well.

The Porter deal protected us perfectly from everything but Scotland. Supposing he had been on three years, we would have got nowt for him at the end of that, whereas we would have got about a million if he had gone anywhere in England when he did leave.

I wonder how the idiots in the home end will cope with O'Grady being mixed race.

He's mixed race??? Hang on, that changes my perspective. Terrible signing :shock:

Anyone noticed he's equally as good with both feet? How many times do we see players getting into good positions but don’t shoot 'cos there on their wrong foot, I think this will prove valuable. I think he looks class from his goals on latics world; he scores tap-ins and 30yard screamers. Yes he's got a lot of stick from Rotherham fans, but don’t forget (as already mentioned) he was the only player to refuse to accept the wage deferral, so he instantly becomes the devil to their fans! You have to think, if he's really that bad, why would two clubs (maybe more?) that are at a higher level, take a serious interest in him? And do you think that shez, knowing that this may well be his last season in charge, would buy crap? Some fans need to take a reality check!

Rant over!

Well done to everyone at the club for the positive transfer policy this summer!

The thing with O'Grady is that he looks like he has all the natural requirements to be a decent league 1 stiker big and fast, he is clearly not going to be first choice as that will be Huhes and Davies with O'Grady and Lewis providing back up. Reminds me very much of when we signed Porter people thought the 100k we paid was a rip off but if Porter had not done a runner up to Scotland we would have made 5 times our money.

Onto another point Smalley should not even be considered a striker unless encase of emergency, it's not that I dont rate him, I think he as hell of a lot of potential as a winger and thats where he needs to be played.

Some people are never happy, I think this is a decent bit of business by the club to go with Fleming and Lee, if we had signed one of the Leons or Grant Holt the wage outlay would be a lot more than on O'Grady, hopefully Shezz is saving the largest part of his budget for a playmaker or left winger. Get these 2 in and possibly a left back, and next season looks very promising.

Well done TTA and Shezz.

Underlines Oldham's lack of scruples. Firstly they sign the convict Hughes, whilst he's still in prison!, then they think of nothing of picking up a player with a financial value from a struggling side for free. I wonder how the idiots in the home end will cope with O'Grady being mixed race.

Hang on a minute, I just remembered that Rotherham elected two BNP candidates at the last elections. How are they getting on their high horses?

He say's he was keen to sign so surely a minimum three years would have acceptable to both parties ?

IMO we should be signing the younger players on three year deals especially since we have paid money up front.

EXAMPLE : Davies will be the next "Issue" as we only signed him on a two year deal.

Said a while back we should be sorting out Davis next contract now. If he doesn't move on it by Jan....sell him.

It wasnt a dig against anything you had said. Its just what I think about what many seem to be posting. I just dont understand the lack of support for a new player.

I dont think any actually slagged him off....I think they said they were underwhelmed, two complete different things. Maybe they are wanting more than Latics and the third division warrants at present but it wasn't a slagging.

As i quoted it will be an issue at some point next season , maybe not now but come January there may be some itchy bums at BP especially if he is doing well.

You're right about this for sure. It's something I have been pondering over since January.

I'd like to think he's done enough in his first season for the club to open talks for a year extension. If Davies has a stormer start to the season and has scored 15 goals by January...there's going to be clubs sniffing around the young, Welsh international and seeing how his contract expires at the end of the season; after the Porter saga there's no way the club wouldn't sell and that could balls up our promotion campaign, losing one of our top goalscorers....and it's hard to find a replacement in January, we never seem to have much luck in Janiary and transfers.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Lets just be positive for once!!!

ok yesterday i posted once i found out it was o'grady that it was an underwhelming signing......not having a go at the player,why would i want to go and have a go at a new player we sign without even seeing him kick a ball..

my main gripe was that we was signing "potential" as opposed to proven.......the story i used was parker going to huddersfiled for free,and we was paying a fee for an untried and untested potential,when we have lads of our own banging on the door to first team action.....

having read the official site today regarding his signing and so on........he certainly isnt under the impression of coming here to play second fiddle and just be a squad member,something that i think a lot of people thought he would be,so it will be interesting to see who gets the starting slots after pre season.

once again i want to point out im not slagging the player off or anything like that,i was merely pointing out his signing wasnt as high profile as i and a few others thought.....

good luck to the lad,i hope he proves all his doubters wrong and breaks the scoring record.

Said a while back we should be sorting out Davis next contract now. If he doesn't move on it by Jan....sell him.

Great suggestion .... lets end our season at christmas next year by selling one of our two starting strikers! Sometimes

I wonder :shock:

Great suggestion .... lets end our season at christmas next year by selling one of our two starting strikers! Sometimes

I wonder :shock:

That's not what he's saying though is it?

If he's clearly not going to stay, then we'd be better getting a fee in January than nowt in June. At least by knowing early, we can line up a replacement in the January transfer window.

Assuming we are not already Champions by then. :)

That's not what he's saying though is it?

If he's clearly not going to stay, then we'd be better getting a fee in January than nowt in June. At least by knowing early, we can line up a replacement in the January transfer window.

Assuming we are not already Champions by then. :)

On the other hand, if we are in a good position for promotion it may be worth the gamble keeping him to help us into the Championship even if it means loosing out on a fee!