Trips North To "Engage" Our Caledonian Cousins.......

In a seperate post KLatics4Ever talks about journeys to Greenock to watch Latics in the Anglo Scottish Cup, 78ish.

Anybody else travelled to these far- flung places (St. Mirren is another) in what must surely has been a tiny but quality support.

Personally remember Burnley stuffing us in the home leg of the Final, did anybody bother turning up for the return leg which ironically we won.

Very, very interested.

Couple of us drove up to Clyde last season for the friendly ( Not John Thompsons best game for us )

There are also some more people that went over to Ireland when we played friendlys there in 2004 ???

Not forgetting those who travelled abroad to watch our games in the last 70' and 80's

Couple of us drove up to Clyde last season for the friendly ( Not John Thompsons best game for us )

There are also some more people that went over to Ireland when we played friendlys there in 2004 ???

Not forgetting those who travelled abroad to watch our games in the last 70' and 80's

Went to a friendly at Falkirk at the time I was living in Dundee. Got a lift from a Leeds fan. His mob had set a burger van on fire the year before, so he was run out of town by the locals.

Cracking stuff.

A pre-game drinking/singing session in a pub in Stranraer before a pre-season friendly led to a Dunfermline lad called Roy adopting Latics as his second team. Great respect to him for driving from Jockland regularly for games at BP. When I won Andy Goram's Scotland cricket sweater at Billy Urmson's testimonial event, I gave it to Roy in recognition for his dedicated support.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

A pre-game drinking/singing session in a pub in Stranraer before a pre-season friendly led to a Dunfermline lad called Roy adopting Latics as his second team. Great respect to him for driving from Jockland regularly for games at BP. When I won Andy Goram's Scotland cricket sweater at Billy Urmson's testimonial event, I gave it to Roy in recognition for his dedicated support.

roy from inverkiething?

if it is,i used to travel down with him all the time when living in edinburgh...

1995-1996

he was an oldham lad you had lived there for donkeys.

wonder if he still travels?

rob-roy! :lol:

After a long day's drinking surrounding the pre-season friendly in Stirling, oafc_ok, Mrs. Sideburns and I had an animated conversation in a pub with a Latics fan who turned out in later years to be Inspiral_Carpet. :grin:

Lol! It was several years later that oafc_ok remembered the name and number on the back of my Latics shirt and the realisation hit home that we had all had a drunken conversation as last orders approached in that pub in Stirling!

Watched Latics at Clyde last pre-Season as well and had the pleasure of meeting Gary Mac's mum and dad. Nice people.

Lol! It was several years later that oafc_ok remembered the name and number on the back of my Latics shirt and the realisation hit home that we had all had a drunken conversation as last orders approached in that pub in Stirling!

Watched Latics at Clyde last pre-Season as well and had the pleasure of meeting Gary Mac's mum and dad. Nice people.

Namedropper, mentioning..........oafc_ok! :grin:

I'm sure the Stirling Albion game was before the 96/ 97 Season.

Correct! Saturday 3rd August 1996. Adults £6 Juveniles £4. I still have the never read Stirling Observer poster, which I removed from outside the ground as a souvenir.

I knew it would prove useful one day! :grin:

I'm sure the Stirling Albion game was before the 96/ 97 Season.

couldn't be..we came back from jockland about july 96..just around the euro 96.

i first met rob roy the year before at the pre season friendlies at stirling (played on a sat..the played falkirk the previous tues or wed night)

i then spent a full season going to and from scotland for latics games with him in the car.

def 95/96 season.

sharp was manager.

Correct! Saturday 3rd August 1996. Adults £6 Juveniles £4. I still have the never read Stirling Observer poster, which I removed from outside the ground as a souvenir.

I knew it would prove useful one day! :grin:

didn't they go there 2 seasons on the run then??

it was also the season sharp was sacked after grimsby at home.

couldn't be..we came back from jockland about july 96..just around the euro 96.

i first met rob roy the year before at the pre season friendlies at stirling (played on a sat..the played falkirk the previous tues or wed night)

i then spent a full season going to and from scotland for latics games with him in the car.

def 95/96 season.

sharp was manager.

Losing the memory Johnny is the first sign of.............................er it escapes me now!

1996:

Tuesday 30th July Falkirk (a)

Saturday 3rd August Stirling (a)

Tuesday 6th August Villa (h) - Ian Olney Testimonial

Saturday 10th August Waterford (a)

Sunday 11th August Cobh Ramblers (a)

Tuesday 13th August Staleyvegas (a) - opening of new stand.

didn't they go there 2 seasons on the run then??

it was also the season sharp was sacked after grimsby at home.

1995:

Saturday 29th July Stranraer (a)

Tuesday 1st August Raith Rovers (a)

Thursday 3rd August Carlisle (a)

Saturday 5th August Everton (h) - Andy Barlow Testimonial

Definitely Summer 96 - hence "There's only one Gareth Southgate" chants from the Jocks, met of course with "Home before your post cards" from us. Latics fans had raised money for victims of Dunblane and John Stanley (I think) presented it on the pitch to a really warm round of applause from the locals, Dunblane being not too far from Stirling.

Stirling had a few down on the teamsheet as "Trialist". This tends to be the norm in Scotland whereas of course, in England we use the name Danny Knight! One of the trialists was substituted and came off the pitch to a rousing chorus of "There's only one Tony Rialist". Classic!

Edited by oafc_ok

Definitely Summer 96 - hence "There's only one Gareth Southgate" chants from the Jocks, met of course with "Home before your post cards" from us. L

Just to double confirm Stirling was on 3/8/96 or 96/8/3 here is a picture I took (note date bottom left)

stirling96ev6.jpg

There was a gobby jock sat near us giving it plenty with the Gareth Southgate penalty thing, I know his mates were getting fed up with him too because when I'd finally had enough meself and shouted back " a bit like Gary McAllister then eh?" they all laughed and he shut up. It was if I recall a bobbins game which wasn't helped by the ref sending off Nick Henry(?) after about 2 seconds for a farcical handball. NH was on the goal line had the ball blasted at him, it hit his arm and went in. The ref didn't give the goal, sent NH off and awarded a penalty, a decision which got the ref abuse from everybody in the ground (well maybe not the linesmen, but I could tell they were thinking that ref was a nob). Anyways thats how I remember it, so probably totally wrong!

Guest oa_exile

I am sure I went to watch Latics play Hibs in the 80's , it cant have been the Anglo-Scottish so maybe another tourni ? or maybe I am going mad ? :blink:

Guest oa_exile
i remember them down at BP in a pre-season friendly and they wrecked the place.

date definately escapes me-mid-late 80's ?? :blink:

Think that was Hearts in the late 70's , they also wrecked the place :lol:

.... NH was on the goal line had the ball blasted at him, it hit his arm and went in. The ref didn't give the goal, sent NH off and awarded a penalty, a decision which got the ref abuse from everybody in the ground (well maybe not the linesmen, but I could tell they were thinking that ref was a nob).

Even the linesmen thought that Scottish ref had a hidden agenda. :wink: Perhaps it was something to do with a chip on the ref's shouder ever since the Russian linesman in '66 - I_C will let us know. :grin: