Blackpool Bid For Taylor Rejected

Guest M_OAFC

Right, I'm sorry, I have to ask - do you live in Oldham and attend our games often? If not, your opinion is void simply on that basis. If you do attend, you can argue it - but Jesus Christ! You've posted 7/8 times here, and I'd like to quote you on everything.

I'd be even willing to take into account what you was saying if you didn't just sit there making a list of his faults, which let's face it, he has so many of from your point of view, but you didn't even base them

As I see it, he's come along very well under Shez. He's got him coming in centrally, and he's a bloody threat. How many times did we nearly score a beauty at BP after January, when he came inside, took a few on, and unleashed a thunderbolt? Quite a few.

Also, showing how well he's done in the middle, his goal against Orient at home. Lovely finish. More pace at home to Gillis, got in behind the 2 CB's, and scored a lovely finish.

Lacks foreight does he? Huddersfield at home rina a bell? He did very well to get the first move going, allowing Constantine to get some space. Our 2nd goal - Taylor tackled Sinclair, took him on, showing dribbling skills, and again, more imagination when he got to their CB, he squared to Conny who tapped into an empty net. 3rd goal? Taylor, centrally, won us the free kick. Why he even scored the 4th goal.

What about Tranmere at home, with our 2nd goal? Very foxy, got his head to Conny, and he then darted through themiddle. Yeah, lucky deflection - he scored the goal too - but he showed foresight there, IMO.

Which brings me to another point. His atatcking at the farpost has been excellent for us. That goal, B'mouth away same thing again. Donny at home last season, did it twice.

Lack of crossing ability - crossed under-pressure for Conny's leveler at home to Millwall. Can't run as a winger. Bournemouth at home, got us that penalty, Crewe away, got Macca his goal (lucky deflection maybe). What about Forest at home last season?! Did it all game.

You get my point by now. To attack him like you've done is totally unfair. You can have an opinion, but to say he's absolutely useless is extremely harsh. I agree his temper can get the better of him a few times, but I, personally, think that's more because he bloody cares about this club. We'd all be the same if we played for our club we supported as a lad.

His 2nd half to this campaign was excellent. What's he supposed to do with an unbalanced side like we had? How can he deliver balls to 2 strikers who like to roam? We got settled, and he was fantastic for us. On the general topic, I wouldn't sell. I'd push them all the way - £1.5 million or nowt. He, along with the other youngsters, can fire us to promotion given some decent backing from Shez, the other coaching staff, the players, and also the fans. He'll be more valuable that way, and that's a certainty.

Sorry to hone on, everyone. Whilst typing this, I think I warmed to Conny more too! He was involved with a lot of stuff there.

think you will find that derek is a season ticket holder,and has been for a lot longer than he cares to mention.........

people could say...was you there in the peeing down rain rattling a bucket when we was in our most dyer needs????cos if you wasnt you cant comment.......and the like

whilst i may not agree with everything that derek says of taylor......the one thing is he is consistant in his views.

taylor maybe a very good footballer in the future,but he hasnt reproduced anything like his first season as clubs and defenders have worked him out......

like i said a lot earlier,the club need to balance the books,and if offers come in to wipe out a full seasons operating costs they would very seriously consider it,be it 250 or 750k

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit of a D&G-er myself, but I will tell you one thing, if we get 700k for Taylor I will be absolutely delighted (and also think that the board are guilty of daylight robbery).

Seven hundred thousand pounds for him, anyone willing to offer silly money like that wants their bumps feeling. I seriously think it is about £650,000 over what he is worth. In fact, if a club was insane enough to bid six figures for him I would offer to go around and pack his bags myself.

I really don't see what the majority of people on this board see in the lad, left or right wing. Give me Smalley over Taylor every day of the week, quicker, better crosser, far better in the air, not a 'falling over feigning injury' prima-donna; and now he has broken his duck and scored in successive games I would expect him to continue in that vein of form that he had a youth and stiff levels and be a regular contributor of 10 goals plus a season.

Taylor is no great shakes in this division, a Josh Low at very best. Very ordinary and if it is true Blackpool have bid silly money then say ta-ta as quickly as possible I would say.

As for the thought of a bidding war for him - football really has gone mad!

KtF,

Derek.

I agree that Smalley has the potential to be the better player.

I'm not Taylors biggest fan but at this level he will cause defenders problems with his pace, i think if he moves up a division he will struggle though. He is a winger and he can't cross particularly well and if it was anyone other than Taylor then people would be booing him on a regular basis. He's quick and can run past a defender but there is hardly ever an end product, if he can improve on that then he will be an excellent player but i can't see that happening. He's a latics fan who tries hard and his pace makes him exciting to watch, thats why people like him, but i don't think he is going to improve anymore so if we get a decent offer then sell him so we can bring in a decent left winger and left back. The club will have an amount in mind - for all the players not just Taylor - and if anyone bids that much then they will be gone. If we do sell him then i don't think it will effect the team that much, we have plenty of cover on the right and with the money we get for him we should be able to bring in a decent left winger and maybe a young kid with potential as cover and we have Smalley/O'grady and probable Davies as well who can cover on the left.

think you will find that derek is a season ticket holder,and has been for a lot longer than he cares to mention.........

people could say...was you there in the peeing down rain rattling a bucket when we was in our most dyer needs????cos if you wasnt you cant comment.......and the like

whilst i may not agree with everything that derek says of taylor......the one thing is he is consistant in his views.

taylor maybe a very good footballer in the future,but he hasnt reproduced anything like his first season as clubs and defenders have worked him out......

like i said a lot earlier,the club need to balance the books,and if offers come in to wipe out a full seasons operating costs they would very seriously consider it,be it 250 or 750k

Do you mean the 11 games he played under Moore or his first full season under Shez? Either way, I must disagree. He might not be continously taking the entire left/right wing on, because, like most wingers, they get worked out. Instead, and if anyone can deny this I'm shocked, Taylor has developed other areas to his game. The fact that he's areal threat at the back post, the fact that he can cut inside now, and can do what he's done in terms of dribbling around defenders. He's now a goal threat, and he can still take on the left/right wings.

I side with Shez, Grayson and O'Drsicoll in their rating of Chris.

Edited by UpTheLatics

Do you mean the 11 games he played under Moore or his first full season under Shez? Either way, I must disagree. He might not be continously taking the entire left/right wing on, because, like most wingers, they get worked out. Instead, and if anyone can deny this I'm shocked, Taylor has developed other areas to his game. The fact that he's areal threat at the back post, the fact that he can cut inside now, and can do what he's done in terms of dribbling around defenders. He's now a goal threat, and he can still take on the left/right wings.

I side with Shez, Grayson and O'Drsicoll in their rating of Chris.

The best way to guage how good your own players are is to ask the opposition fans and every time I have asked opposition supporters who they think our best player is they all say taylor

Have to be inclined to bow to this kind of assessment of Eardley 250k...no chance that it'll be that low when people in the game are saying this...

flynn's fledglings

Good find that and an interesting read.

NEAL EARDLEY

Position: Full-back

Club: Oldham Athletic

Flynn's verdict: A sign of Neal's growing maturity is his captaincy of Oldham this season and that is no mean feat. The 19-year-old is a talented full-back, a good defender with a good footballing brain who has been linked with Liverpool and it wouldn't surprise me if he did earn himself a move to the Premier League.

Derek, if nothing else I admire your consistency. :grin:

Honest question - has your self-belief never wavered in the face of so mich obvious interest in Taylor from the likes of O'Driscoll and Grayson? Has the thought never occurred that you might have got it wrong? :wink:

Honest question - has your self-belief never wavered in the face of so mich obvious interest in Taylor from the likes of O'Driscoll and Grayson? Has the thought never occurred that you might have got it wrong? :wink:

hahaha.if he has he wont admit it will he.

there are some very interesting opinions on this thread and it makes it quite an interesting read.

im not a taylor hater,i think he has a hell of a lot of potential,and still a lot to prove at this level,never mind higher level,and i truly hope he can achieve this with us,rather than go and do it with another club......but my contribution still stands,if someone came and offered the daft money i would take it,if it means our operating costs are covered for a full season or maybe more,and we wouldnt have to let anyone else go......for the greater good of the club and the team.

Dave O'Driscoll and Wayne Grayson? Season Ticket holders in Main Stand?

Derek is just jealous that Taylor has now become the most famous ginger Latics fan.

I completely disagree with Derek, but he does have the right to be wrong :)

I fail to see how Eardley or Taylor are only worth £250,000.

If that Gunter chap went to Spurs for £1.5million, intially, with sell-ons and clauses to take it up to £3million(!) then surely Eardley is worth the same. They are both flexible (Gunter can play both full-back positions, Eardley as we know is comfortable as a full-back, wing-back and in central midfield) and are both future International stalwarts.

Well lets put it this way, Eardley is older than Gunter and has been around in our first team for a few seasons now. Gunter played only 28 games for Cardiff and was quickly snapped up by Spurs for the figures you quote. This suggests to me that Gunter is more highly rated than Eardley; and if all these clubs have been to look at him, doesn't it seem odd that nobody has tabled a bid for him yet like they did Gunter? Many of Eardley's Wales cappes have been gained during the mega injury crisis that they have had, and without these he would have been very much stuck with the under 21's.

As I said in my original post I would keep both players unless silly bids are recieved, lets say £400K+. It's just that I think the are overrated by many on here and £250 - £300K is more likely what we will get offered, and I wouldn't sell at that, although I suspect TTA would at this moment in time.

Good discussion this.

For me, he does alright for us. Few things I'd like to see him do more of but I'm sure if he stays those areas can be worked on. I'd be looking for a decent fee though if he were to go though and fully expect TTA to get one as well if it comes to that.

Also expect him to come back Milligan/Holden style as well if he does go. Not always greener....

The back page of the Blackpool gazette today confirms that Scumpool are interested in Taylor, but his transfer fee will be a stumbling block as the latics will be holding out for more than 500k.

Has nobody taken into consideration if Chris would like to go and play for them donkey lashing divs, i doubt he would.

I think that a big thing with Chris Taylor is the level of expectation and understanding of his role within the team.

Many Latics fans see him as a right winger. I wonder whether Sheridan sees him as a winger or a left sided midfielder - you have to bear in mind that despite all of this conjecture and the many different opinions on his ability and hence value, we don't know what role he is being instructed to play. We as fans often shout for him to push up the field when the full back has the ball, but is Shez telling him different?

It has never wavered Garcon. Not once.

Just because O'Driscoll and Grayson are making the right noises regarding a possible transfer doesn't mean that they are right. It won't be the first or last time that a manager has bought a duck egg after all.

KtF,

Derek.

It has never wavered Garcon. Not once.

Just because O'Driscoll and Grayson are making the right noises regarding a possible transfer doesn't mean that they are right. It won't be the first or last time that a manager has bought a duck egg after all.

KtF,

Derek.

Good on you.

You're mad as a bicycle of course, but I salute you.

The back page of the Blackpool gazette today confirms that Scumpool are interested in Taylor, but his transfer fee will be a stumbling block as the latics will be holding out for more than 500k.

Has nobody taken into consideration if Chris would like to go and play for them donkey lashing divs, i doubt he would.

Seems 500k could be too much for the lashers

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sports-n...ment.4144182.jp

Although I wasn't totally happy with us selling Trotters I understand why we did with him being out of contract at the end of the season, and £500K+ for the amount of games he had played was a very good price negotiated by the TTA.

However with Taylor being under contract for another 2 years we should not even be looking to accept offers for him unless something ridiculous (anything under £500K is nowhere near good enough) came along because we don't need to sell, he's an asset to the club with his wing play and will be vital for our promotion push left or right (preferably right)and he seems to love the club (going off the Bournemouth away celebration) and I doubt he would want to go unless it is significantly better for him.

The Smalley/Taylor debate is an interesting one, from what I've seen Taylor scared the hell out of defenders in his first full season, with his direct dribbling, taking full backs on. Smalley didn't do that so much last season and didn't look as comfortable with the ball at his feet as Taylor did and although Smalley has more about him physically, Taylor is the better player at the moment. However Smalley will learn in the next couple of years and I see him being a more confident and efficient player in that time and if he does it will be fantastic to see his true potential being fulfilled (hopefully with us!)

The Smalley/Taylor debate is an interesting one, from what I've seen Taylor scared the hell out of defenders in his first full season, with his direct dribbling, taking full backs on. Smalley didn't do that so much last season and didn't look as comfortable with the ball at his feet as Taylor did and although Smalley has more about him physically, Taylor is the better player at the moment. However Smalley will learn in the next couple of years and I see him being a more confident and efficient player in that time and if he does it will be fantastic to see his true potential being fulfilled (hopefully with us!)

Taylor is two years older than Smalley, i think in two years time Smalley will be far better than Taylor is now. I wouldn't want to sell Taylor though but didn't want to sell One Size, Trotman, Hill..... these things happen with small clubs.

Taylor is two years older than Smalley, i think in two years time Smalley will be far better than Taylor is now. I wouldn't want to sell Taylor though but didn't want to sell One Size, Trotman, Hill..... these things happen with small clubs.

True about Smalley but we had to sell One Size and Hill to keep the club alive and we didn't want Trotters to end up doing a Porter. We aren't in a position now where we need to sell Taylor so we shouldn't.

Well lets put it this way, Eardley is older than Gunter and has been around in our first team for a few seasons now.

Understand your point, but I think at 8 months difference between the two you are pushing the older bit :wink: - Gunter 7/89, Eards 11/88

, and I wouldn't sell at that, although I suspect TTA would at this moment in time.

They are showing no signs of, rejecting a the lashers bid. Think we need to put a bit of faith that they are much more aware of the value of the assets in the current market place than we are. Overrated - I don't agree no-one on here is claiming they are multi-million pound footballers - probably only just 1 between them. We just happen to be the ones seeing them week in week out and remembering each and every thing wrong.

In a general context (forgetting it's Eards or Taylor for a sec) in the current day market a 19 rb,wb poss cm with 2 years plus contract remaining, over 100 first team appearances, captained the side and with 7 international caps and several U-21 caps...(micah??? :grin:)

and 21 year old winger/mid l/r/c pace, 2 years plus remaining on contract over 100 first team apps, rough diamond??? possible biding war in the offing.

Wingers are generally always worth more than defenders which automatically boosts the Taylor value (whether you agree with it or not). I seriously think that TTA will be looking for anywhere from £1m+ combined. Wouldn't be suprised if £750k for either is enough to see them on their way.

Having said all that a player is only 'worth' what a buying club is prepared to pay, so talking values is always going to be speculative.

I hope we don't sell Taylor. Unless Shez has a ready replacement for him it would be madness to get rid.

If the owners don't sell then it shows they are serious of getting promotion next season, a big risk for them as it doesn't guarrantee any extra income. Without a miracle we're gonna lose money next season. Hopefully if the owners can show their commitment then the stay-aways can get behind the club more as well.

I hope we don't sell Taylor. Unless Shez has a ready replacement for him it would be madness to get rid.

If the owners don't sell then it shows they are serious of getting promotion next season, a big risk for them as it doesn't guarrantee any extra income. Without a miracle we're gonna lose money next season. Hopefully if the owners can show their commitment then the stay-aways can get behind the club more as well.

The miracle that is Micah Richards!!!

Understand your point, but I think at 8 months difference between the two you are pushing the older bit :wink: - Gunter 7/89, Eards 11/88

They are showing no signs of, rejecting a the lashers bid. Think we need to put a bit of faith that they are much more aware of the value of the assets in the current market place than we are. Overrated - I don't agree no-one on here is claiming they are multi-million pound footballers - probably only just 1 between them. We just happen to be the ones seeing them week in week out and remembering each and every thing wrong.

In a general context (forgetting it's Eards or Taylor for a sec) in the current day market a 19 rb,wb poss cm with 2 years plus contract remaining, over 100 first team appearances, captained the side and with 7 international caps and several U-21 caps...(micah??? :grin:)

and 21 year old winger/mid l/r/c pace, 2 years plus remaining on contract over 100 first team apps, rough diamond??? possible biding war in the offing.

Wingers are generally always worth more than defenders which automatically boosts the Taylor value (whether you agree with it or not). I seriously think that TTA will be looking for anywhere from £1m+ combined. Wouldn't be suprised if £750k for either is enough to see them on their way.

Having said all that a player is only 'worth' what a buying club is prepared to pay, so talking values is always going to be speculative.

Good post fella - spot on - i'm no Football chairman, and as has been said on this very thread, it's very easy to post on here what a good price is, without the pressure & drain of actually bankrolling the football club BUT, in the current transfer market, we need to be holding out for the best possible deal for both of these lads (if we are looking at cashing in at all.)

Paltry (in the current climate) bids of less than 400k for either should be dismissed with the disdain they deserve by TTA, we need to be looking at 750k - 1million for Taylor for him to leave & 1million - 1.5million for Eardley to leave us.

We are in no rush; contract wise to sell as both are long term contracts, so the quick Trotman sale doesn't apply to these two - and i fear a big, big backlash for thre club if they do sell 1 or both for a 'poor' fee - when all the noises coming out of the club from the management team are that we building for a big promotion push.