Players in for Fitness Assessment.

Os: http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1322757,00.html

I like this new physio

As someone named him on here

The Terminator

i think this is a brilliant idea, lets the physio see how much each player will need and hopefully sted in good condition for the season with NOT as bad injurys this time around...

i wonder if he will introduce freezing cold baths after matches like he and the other physio did after the FANS game :grin:

i think this is a brilliant idea, lets the physio see how much each player will need and hopefully sted in good condition for the season with NOT as bad injurys this time around...

i wonder if he will introduce freezing cold baths after matches like he and the other physio did after the FANS game :grin:

the rumours are that ice baths will become the norm and all the latest modern day techniques,designed to hone a players fitness like a tightly coiled spring.

bet gregans loving it,lol

I can’t remember the bit in the Terminator films where the rate of soft tissue injuries falls dramatically :wink:

I’m also really pleased with the sound of him, it will be interesting to see if we start winniong or drawing more games with late goals, something we did a hell of a lot in the Davros/Harbin period. Although we got a lot of soft tissue injuries then as well.

the rumours are that ice baths will become the norm and all the latest modern day techniques,designed to hone a players fitness like a tightly coiled spring.

bet gregans loving it,lol

Rumours, only rumours more like definate. Ice-baths are reckoned to work and I'm sure if i look hard enough I could find a decent study that says so to confirm it. If we haven't been using them by now then wtf. It explains all our mystery soft-tissue injuries and I wonder what the club's medical team have been doing apart from working on treatment when at our level prevention is as, if not more, important. Being a physio is not rocket science otherwise the university course would be a lot longer and yet maybe our rockets never took off.

Ice is crucial for basic acute management of soft tissue injuries.

Blood vessels and cells are damaged when soft tissue sustains an injury.

The fluids and blood leak from the injured and surrounding blood vessels. When cells are damaged, they release irritating chemicals that cause pain and further damage to healthy cells around the injured soft tissues.

The severity of the injury is determined by the amount of damage to these tissues, which is reflected by the amount and rate of swelling.

When there is a large amount of swelling, the pressure distorts the surrounding tissues. This stimulates pain receptors.

Pain and swelling limits several normal functions, such as the ability to produce force and limitation of movements.

Signs and symptoms

The signs and symptoms of a recent soft tissue injury are:

*pain and swelling;

*bruising;

*an increase in muscle tone;

* loss of sensation;

*proprioception;

* loss of range of motion;

*weakness; and

*secondary tissue damage.

Cold therapy limits the amount of bleeding by slowing down the blood flow and causing the blood vessels to narrow. This reduces the amount of swelling at the injured area.

Cooling in the early stages of injury (within the initial two hours) will decrease the rate of swelling and the production of chemicals by minimising secondary cell death.

The cooling of the injured area also slows and reduces the number of pain signals to the brain, therefore minimising the sense of pain.

Ice packs Ice packs can be made by placing ice flakes/cubes in a plastic bag and wrapping it in a wet towel. Ice packs come in different sizes with silica gel that allows easy moulding to the injured body part.

Apply the pack for 10 minutes on and 10 mins off every two to four hours during the first one to two days of the injury.

Ice towel Ice towels are a mixture of ice flakes adhered to a wet towel.

This can be placed over a large surface area and it allows movement and exercises at the same time.

The ice towel will need to be changed regularly to maintain its coolness.

Ice massage Ice massage is given with a solid ice cube wrapped in a towel or a piece of tissue.

Another method is to freeze water in a polystyrene cup, tearing the superior lip of the cup to expose the top of the ice. The main purpose of ice massage is to provide pain relief.

Ice baths Many sporting teams use ice baths to treat injuries and to promote recovery after intense exercises. An ice bath consists of a mixture of ice flakes and water in a container for immersion.

The principles of using ice baths for full immersion are that the blood vessels will narrow with cold temperature, which pushes the blood with lactic acids from arms and legs back up to the body.

When players come out of the ice bath, the blood vessels will widen and allows fresh blood to revitalise the muscles with oxygen to help the cells function better.

The water temperature for continuous immersion is about 20-22°C for 10-15 minutes, however this is often uncomfortable. Therefore, intermittent immersions are used more often in combination with warm showers. The temperature for intermittent immersion is 12-14°C.

At the Olympic Games in Athens, the dosages used for full intermittent immersion were four repetitions of thirty seconds in an ice bath at 12- 14°C alternating with 30 seconds in a warm shower.

Bp doesnt have the same climate as Athenes so I would start with ten sec immersions

portable_ice_bath.jpg

A Portable ice bath

Ice is crucial for basic acute management of soft tissue injuries.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Bp doesnt have the same climate as Athenes so I would start with ten sec immersions

portable_ice_bath.jpg

A Portable ice bath

Cold water reduces swelling

Ladybird version for those with a better work ethic :grin: