BREAKING NEWS - Gretna RIP

Very sad for Gretna.

It's interesting though to remember that the former Gretna owner Brooks Mileson was allegedly the money man behind Barry Chaytow's £18m offer for Latics just over a year ago.

TTA could have sold then and taken a profit on their massive investment in Latics. They didn't and one of their reasons was that they would only sell where the future of OAFC was guaranteed. They needed to be comfortable about any potential purchaser before agreeing to any deal.

Could we have been Gretna today?

Makes you think doesn't it?

Very sad for Gretna.

It's interesting though to remember that the former Gretna owner Brooks Mileson was allegedly the money man behind Barry Chaytow's £18m offer for Latics just over a year ago.

TTA could have sold then and taken a profit on their massive investment in Latics. They didn't and one of their reasons was that they would only sell where the future of OAFC was guaranteed. They needed to be comfortable about any potential purchaser before agreeing to any deal.

Good point.

It's also another of the grounds which I've visited only for it to be discounted.

Very sad for Gretna.

didn't someone say at the time that he was the guy who was after buying the club? Who was it that said that?...... Oh wait, it was me :grin:

didn't someone say at the time that he was the guy who was after buying the club? Who was it that said that?...... Oh wait, it was me :grin:

Damn. So I could have started the tale with "A little birdie told me........." :grin:

It was also mentioned on here by one of our members. He usually get things spot on despite being a tad negative at times. :wink:

:grin:

Gretna are no more. Sad state of affairs. Well done the SPL for killing a club. Why not let them into league 1 and find a buyer instead of sending them to the bottom league and making them less of an attractive buy? :angry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tna/7433470.stm

The SFL didn't kill the club, but had to protect themselves from a situation where they would have had little time to gain new members for the set up next season. Simply, Gretna couldn't commit to keeping goijng next season thereby breaking the rules and suffering the consequences of that. Airdrie and Stranraer had to know which division they had to be in. No blame lies with them at all. If our league had done things properly last season we too wouldn't have had the problems we had with Leeds trying to claim their points back.

You'd suspect that Gretna will reform again, probably as a Northern League (set up) club again.

The SFL didn't kill the club, but had to protect themselves from a situation where they would have had little time to gain new members for the set up next season. Simply, Gretna couldn't commit to keeping goijng next season thereby breaking the rules and suffering the consequences of that. Airdrie and Stranraer had to know which division they had to be in. No blame lies with them at all. If our league had done things properly last season we too wouldn't have had the problems we had with Leeds trying to claim their points back.

You'd suspect that Gretna will reform again, probably as a Northern League (set up) club again.

The question is now that SFL are a club down, will the SFL allow a new club called FC Gretna to emerge into the 3rd division or will they forever be one more club short! Wont be long before they only have one division left...

The question is now that SFL are a club down, will the SFL allow a new club called FC Gretna to emerge into the 3rd division or will they forever be one more club short! Wont be long before they only have one division left...

Applications for the vacant spot have taken place.

is it just me who doesnt feel sorry for gretna?

isnt it a bit hypocritical to moan about Abramovich at Chelsea pumping his money in to try and "buy" trophies left right and centre, then say its a shame its happened because its a club with a smaller profile. it was still the same principle, loads of money thrown at it to get the club up the divisions, he pulls out, it goes belly up. serves them right surely?

is it just me who doesnt feel sorry for gretna?

isnt it a bit hypocritical to moan about Abramovich at Chelsea pumping his money in to try and "buy" trophies left right and centre, then say its a shame its happened because its a club with a smaller profile. it was still the same principle, loads of money thrown at it to get the club up the divisions, he pulls out, it goes belly up. serves them right surely?

there wasn't much sympathy from quite a few scottish mates of mine ...

exactly for the points you say.

they were in some respects,hated.

there wasn't much sympathy from quite a few scottish mates of mine ...

exactly for the points you say.

they were in some respects,hated.

I can understand it, as they are the Wigan of Scotland (non-league team that has been bought top division status), but there will still be some fans there who were fans of the club before all this began. Those I feel sorry for.

er ritchie...look at the date on that report...

breaking news???!!!! :tongue1:

regretfully,it will happen again and again from now.

unless its chelski! :D

leeds are the only team i would like to see go under,along with their scum fan's

What is dissapointing is the amount of Scottish fans who are glad to see the back of them. Nearly enough on every forum most fans call them an Embarrassment and explain that that they where to crap for the SPL.

Thing is there league was poor long before Gretna joined.