Hughes making strong headway

Link to OS http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1323350,00.html

Looks like Hughes doing ok!!

Fantastic!

And we have Fleming now he has passed Internation clearance.

:dance:

I also wish they would stop insulting Ireland when they mention injuries. Calling Thompson an international lol

Edited by razza699

Am gonna go for 24 if fully fit which i'm expectin him and the rest of the squad to be. This new physio and his assistant seem very impressive.

i think its great news,got his holiday out the way and now concentrating on getting fit again....think the new physio set up will get him back to tip top form again,and hopefully those little strains n pulls will be a thing of the past.....

i reckon on him getting 18/20 goals if he can stay fit and gets the service he needs.

The fitness is the only issue to me between him scoring a load and not.

I think the signs last year were not exactly promising. Little niggling injuries in muscle areas, probably showing signs of being out of action for so long. Will he recover in the longer term (i.e. next season)? I'd hope yes, but being honest I would guess no.

Nine or ten goals for me.

If he stays fit throughout most of the season and we are playing half decently as a team, he will get past 30 no problem at all, and whoever he is playing with will get plenty too. You heard it here first.

lol its doesnt take a rocket scientist to predict a quality fit striker will score 30 goals in a good side.

I think the signs last year were not exactly promising. Little niggling injuries in muscle areas, probably showing signs of being out of action for so long. Will he recover in the longer term (i.e. next season)? I'd hope yes, but being honest I would guess no.

Not sure I buy into this. Most of the time we hear about the 'wear and tear' players in their thirties have endured throughout their career and how it is catching up with them! Surely 3 years away from the strains of pro football should benefit Hughes? I accept it would have been to his detriment for a period of time when he first returned, but once the strength and flexibilty aspects of fitness have returned the time off should be to his benefit!

Never heard anybody blaming a David Eyres injury on him not playing full time for a good while.

Excuses excuses....

Not sure I buy into this. Most of the time we hear about the 'wear and tear' players in their thirties have endured throughout their career and how it is catching up with them! Surely 3 years away from the strains of pro football should benefit Hughes? I accept it would have been to his detriment for a period of time when he first returned, but once the strength and flexibilty aspects of fitness have returned the time off should be to his benefit!

Never heard anybody blaming a David Eyres injury on him not playing full time for a good while.

Excuses excuses....

Yes, but Eyres just started late rather than taking a three year sabbatical.

It is a pretty unique situation, as I can't think of many players that will have had three years out of the game without it being for injury reasons. Obviously these are irrelevant to Hughes' situation.

I'd guess that Hughes' problems have come from a degradation of the muscle due to a continual lack of footballer level exercise. Can the body of a thirtysomething build this level up again and still be able to keep from getting injuries (and I'd expect niggles rather than anything serious)? I have serious doubts.

I'd guess that Hughes' problems have come from a degradation of the muscle due to a continual lack of footballer level exercise. Can the body of a thirtysomething build this level up again and still be able to keep from getting injuries (and I'd expect niggles rather than anything serious)? I have serious doubts.

Exactly my worries this time last year before he was out.

Actually replicating the movement on a daily basis will have been near on impossible. The talent is not in doubt but as you say it'll be the strains and slight tears that could hold him back a few weeks at a time.

Yes, but Eyres just started late rather than taking a three year sabbatical.

It is a pretty unique situation, as I can't think of many players that will have had three years out of the game without it being for injury reasons. Obviously these are irrelevant to Hughes' situation.

I appreciate your point but it is easier to regain muscle lost (Hughesys challenge) than to gain muscle never had. It is called muscle memory. Also he will have had plenty of excercise inside (he was probably in a 'soft' jail) and even played for the prison team - not like he has been in a dungeon somewhere is it.

After a full pre-season and with good physio advice/treatment I dont think Hughesys niggle risk will be any greater than had he been playing right through since his pro debut - if anything I would guess it would be less. He is still only 31 remember which is a lot younger than say 34 in football terms.

Im sure we can all agree on hopiong im right anyway!

His injuries are have all been in areas that could be affected by the bigger problem which he had surgery on. If that is fixed and he builds up strength all around it then he might be completely sorted. As for his general fitness, I was amazed at how quickly he was able to play after coming out. He had clearly been doing an awful lot of work on the inside. Granted it’s not the same, but I suspect he is in better shape than someone his age who had a year or more completely laid off with a break or a recurrent injury.