Building for the Future

First of all Id like to say I think the young players are brilliant signings and can only improve thus giving us a real chance of achieving something in the next few years.

But by buying players which will develop in the future is Sheridan risking his job. People have already been on record saying they expect promotion this year as Sheridan will have had 3 years and a completely new squad which he will have put together himself. Therefore with the young players coming in, and taking parts of the budget (transfers and wages) then will Sheridan have a strong enough team to challenge this year. Should the team take time to gel like recent seasons, then we could well be looking at another mediocre mid table finish. Hopefully I will be proved wrong, but I do feel Sheridan is taking a gamble on his future by signing unproven youngsters, who are tipped to be future stars. Unfortunately if they dont produce straight away and come christmas were lingering in the bottom half, a lot of questions will be asked.

I hope everything goes well as I can see a great long future for Sheridan but his job is based on results, and unfortunately it could potentially backfire.

First of all Id like to say I think the young players are brilliant signings and can only improve thus giving us a real chance of achieving something in the next few years.

But by buying players which will develop in the future is Sheridan risking his job. People have already been on record saying they expect promotion this year as Sheridan will have had 3 years and a completely new squad which he will have put together himself. Therefore with the young players coming in, and taking parts of the budget (transfers and wages) then will Sheridan have a strong enough team to challenge this year. Should the team take time to gel like recent seasons, then we could well be looking at another mediocre mid table finish. Hopefully I will be proved wrong, but I do feel Sheridan is taking a gamble on his future by signing unproven youngsters, who are tipped to be future stars. Unfortunately if they dont produce straight away and come christmas were lingering in the bottom half, a lot of questions will be asked.

I hope everything goes well as I can see a great long future for Sheridan but his job is based on results, and unfortunately it could potentially backfire.

i think every manager to a certain extent is gambling with his future when signing players.....

this coming season is seen as a watershed season,by shez the amigos and the fans....

i have every confidence that the new season will be good for us,and we will achieve promotion,these player coming in are going to be a part this season,but the younger ones more so the season after.......what we have at the moment is a nice blend of experience and youth...

Apart from Ratters, we've only paid a fee for Davies so far as I remember since TTA took over until just now. All the others have been young players who we can view as investments, as well as good players. They would rather just pay wages for players who already have the experience but will shell out for those who make good business sense. Sounds OK to me. I agree that we probably have enough youth now, but we have a fair bit of experience still as well. It was said that Shez needed to learn from his mistakes, I think we are seeing that already with 4 good signings by early June.

Apart from Ratters, we've only paid a fee for Davies so far as I remember since TTA took over until just now. All the others have been young players who we can view as investments, as well as good players. They would rather just pay wages for players who already have the experience but will shell out for those who make good business sense. Sounds OK to me. I agree that we probably have enough youth now, but we have a fair bit of experience still as well. It was said that Shez needed to learn from his mistakes, I think we are seeing that already with 4 good signings by early June.

What we have lacked for a couple of years is some depth. Our first 11 has been good, but no back up. The new signings are starting to give us that. This year we have only taken two apprentices as full time pros (Bell and Black). Stephens and Lee make up for that. Young hungry players are the only way forward. One they are cheaper, two we can make a quid on them.

Think a couple of more experienced playeras still to follow, with things taking shape nicely. At this rate we may be able to fill the bench and Dux may win a game or two.

Apart from Ratters, we've only paid a fee for Davies so far as I remember since TTA took over until just now.

We've paid tribunals (Porter) but thats about it bar Davies and Allott.

What we have lacked for a couple of years is some depth. Our first 11 has been good, but no back up. The new signings are starting to give us that. This year we have only taken two apprentices as full time pros (Bell and Black). Stephens and Lee make up for that. Young hungry players are the only way forward. One they are cheaper, two we can make a quid on them.

Agree with that. Our first choice 11 is one of the better one's in the league. Unfortunately we got found out when injuries took their toll and needing to rely on kid's to come in. The very limited strength in depth just wasnt good enough.

I doubt Lee will be coming on the cheap. The rest (O'Grady, Flemming and Stephens) will no doubt be on a small wage in comparison to others at the club.

I took the article as, that Stephens will be a back up and although he'll get a few oppurtunities his appearances will be fairly limited. Hardly suprising really. Lee is the better of the two signings and you wouldnt expect Shez to drop Allott having won most of the awards. However, I do think this will be Allotts last season as a first choice starter for us, whether he stays after that is another matter. We've got a ready made replacement in either way and by the time he does warrant a starting place he'll be already settled at the club and have an understanding of how the current crop play, so it's a good bit of business. I think it's one or two of the older generations final year with the club as well. Gregan and Liddell. If and when those two do go, it should free up a decent chunk in wages to bring quite a few similar young types who can boost the squad depth.

Signing players for the future is hardly risking his job - it's no different to signing experienced pro's. Managers risk there job with all transfers.

As for whether Shez has got a strong enough team to challenge. We've only lost McDonald and he's been replaced by someone who's arguably better. Other back up positions have already been strengthened for a team who didnt finish far off the playoffs despite the injuries.

Dont forget the likes of Liddell, Gregan, Hughes who missed an awful lot of last season will be ready come August. Same goes for Davies.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

I can see your point, youngen, but I think any manager really worth his salt should be looking for future stars as well as current squad players - that the key to improving long-term. If not, I don't think he's doing his job properly.

Having said that, I think we'll see a decent amount of Stephens this coming season.

Jusr wondering, what happens if we finish 3rd and don't go up...Shez out or keep him in charge of the young side he has built?

Id like to think if we are up there challenging and showing signs of progress he will be allowed to stay! I doubt that will be enough though.

All seems like a very sensible and well thought out transfer strategy...

1. Good young players first before others take them - 2. Free/Out of contract established players next - 3. Finally, loan signings.

It shows that the club are prepared to pay fees for the kind of players that are most likely to increase in value, as opposed to established players who may be at the height of their respective value. V sensible business sense..invest in assests that have the best chance of making money. It's good to see they've not been put off by the Porter situation.

I think we'll still see another 2 or so free signings of more established players by mid july (most of the out of contract /released players are still being paid for the whole of June so are waiting on the best deal). And there has also been mention of utilising the long-term loan market more.

So all in all I see the young signings as merely the first step of a structured approach to signings this summer and I wouldn't make any judgements on whether Shez is 'risking' his job by relying on kids yet. It was so important to have some quality young players with the energy they bring added to the squad to complement the experience that is there. If we can keep the spine of that experience fit and on the pitch together this season, I don't know about anyone else but it looks very exciting.

After all you never win anything with kids... :tongue:

TTA will react to the general sentiment amongst supporters, as they have done previously. So anything less than the playoffs and I imagine Shez'll be gone, but if we're doing well by Christmas it probably won't be they're decision to make when a Championship club sees that he won't cost much in terms of compensation.

Jusr wondering, what happens if we finish 3rd and don't go up...Shez out or keep him in charge of the young side he has built?

Shez getting us into the play-offs should be enough to secure an extension to his contracts without question, especially whan you consider the budgets of some of the teams which will potentially be around us.

Ok, i just wanted to know what everyone felt because it seems to many that this year has to be promotion but what if we miss out yet we reach the play-offs?

Personally i'd keep Shez, what would everyone else do?

I think a proper and sustained promotion push, a top 6 finish and he stays without question. I don't think its promotion or bust for shez and neither should it be but we should be looking at giving it a damn good go though. If on the other hand we stagnate or go backwards then and only then should we be looking for a replacement.

Ok, i just wanted to know what everyone felt because it seems to many that this year has to be promotion but what if we miss out yet we reach the play-offs?

If we're playing attractive football and all the young players are gelling and showing promise, then i'll certainly stand by him. I certainly wouldn't say it's promotion or the sack, although if it goes anything like last season, then i'm afraid it'll have to be Shez out, unfortunately. I am genuinally optimistic for next season though, more so than I have for a good while...

I wouldn't be able to make a judgement at this point as the season hasn't happened but I wouldn't even think about it unless we're are fighting relegation.

Unless we finnish as champions it will be a 'shez out' season :grin:

Oh, whatever happens next season, Shez will get his pickers from some of our lot.

However, I really don't see why Shez needs to be looking over his shoulder, worried that he shouldn't sign a few kids who could become something. Who says he'll be sacked after this season if we don't go up? It's a challenge for him, yes, but he's better out of it if that's the sort of pressure he's under.

It's been mentioned: he's creating depth, something he hasn't had yet, and that, to me, is a positive, because that's what's hindered us under Shez.

stick with shez,what happens if we don't make the play-offs, do we sack him and get some one else who has a 3 year plan but wants to bring his own players in,he'll spend the best part of 2 years making his team and end up having just one shot at promotion,if he fails get another man in with his 3 year plan and so on.we need stability at the top and if we keep faith we shez we'll get there.ktf.