Interesting Article

:o erm...no....

Good stuff from Tommy though...

It underlines the point that Simon Corney made at a supporters meeting a few weeks ago -

Just suppose Latics had got promoted last season. We would be in the same division as Derby.

Derby get a £30 mill payment from the premier league and we would get £2-3 Mill budget for players for getting promoted. Yet we would be competing in the same division !! The higher you go the bigger the differences.

I honestly think it would be virtually impossible for a club like us to get to the premiership again.

Not saying it can't be done but it would be 10 times harder than Joes achievements.

As the bigger clubs like Leeds and Leicester drop to league one the cash difference you have to operate on gets bigger and bigger. Unless we progress in terms of increasing crowds , in 10 years time it will be a major achievement to get out of league one !!

Guest oa_exile
Who's the better manager .... those who develop young talent or those who go out and buy it ???

Ask Big Joe that question , great when he didnt have the money and poor when he had it , just ask Everton :wink:

Who's the better manager .... those who develop young talent or those who go out and buy it ???

Good point well made. You only have to look at what Shez has done with the kids. There are very few clubs who could have the season we did without a strong back up squad. OK, we faltered mid season, then lost a play off chance when it was there for the taking, but to achieve what we did with what we had was motivation, encouragement and confidence at its best.

The very reasons why I honestly believe the signature below.

:ktf:

Only went and won them the FA Cup :D

thats true but joe was like a kid in a sweet shop with money burning a very large hole in his pocket....

fantastic eye for talent and a bargain,with a great scouting network....but when it came to picking pedigree players for serious money,he more often than not got it wrong.

give him 50k he will get 3 maybe 4 good players....give him a few million he may get you one and 3 duckeggs....

Guest oa_exile
Only went and won them the FA Cup :D

:blink: Oohh very debatable mate , he took over in Nov 1994 , can hardly say it was his squad , and what did he do after that at both Everton and Citeh ?

Anyway my point was that Joe was a far , far better Manager without the "Big Bucks" as Ed has quoted.

:blink: Oohh very debatable mate , he took over in Nov 1994 , can hardly say it was his squad , and what did he do after that at both Everton and Citeh ?

Anyway my point was that Joe was a far , far better Manager without the "Big Bucks" as Ed has quoted.

True he only got city up two leagues!!!! ......any team that goes up two divisions in two seasons is always then going to struggle....he didnt deserve the sack....

Two promotions and a FA Cup.....:lol: not bad for any manager that.... Both his sackings from Everton and City where not fair in my mind.....

Edited by oafc0000

Guest oa_exile
True he only got city up two leagues!!!! ......any team that goes up two divisions in two seasons is always then going to struggle....he didnt deserve the sack....

Two promotions and a FA Cup.....:lol: not bad for any manager that.... Both his sackings from Everton and City where not fair in my mind.....

Not good enough though for big Clubs like Everton and Citeh though :)

We have gone of the beaten track here , and did he have money to spend and did he spend it wisely , have a look at his transfer activities :wink: what the original point was all about :wink:

Just read th'article and the sole comment on there... And can't resist pasting it here! :grin:

" Julie H,Hertford 09/06/2008 12:25:28

I disagree with Tommy Wright's assessment of our season in one area.

Our lack of wide players wasn't a problem - in terms of the football ie matches played and points earned, we did enough to be promoted automatically. The problem we had was the 15 point deduction. Sorry to harp on about this but even though the football was lacking quality at times, it was good enough to get promoted on the pitch."

Awww, diddums... :disappointed: