Statement from Latics' Chairman- Costs!

"As you may have read in the Press, the directors have been examining very carefully the club's finances, and they are indeed in a sorry state. One supporter suggested that the standard of football should be improved before we increase the prices, but how does one improve the standard of football when the gate receipts last season did not even pay the wage bill?

It is very easy for the supporters to say the Board should do this or do that or do the other, and your present directors have decided to take this advice literally and improve the Club, both on and off the field, and this is going to cost money. The first step is to put the admission prices on a more realistic basis for next season. The alternative would be to close the club because without a bigger income there is no future for first-class football at Boundary Park. In this process we shall lose a few so-called supporters who, having called the club and the directors for doing nothing progressive in the past, will now call them, presumably, because they are doing something. We shall not miss these financial geniuses who are very good at telling other people how to do the impossible and are conspicuous by their absence when asked to do something themselves. I am satisfied that the majority of people of Oldham are intelligent people, who appreciate that a succesful club costs money, which must be provided by the people who support that club".

Statement issued by Latics' Chairman - 30 April 1966

His name was, of course, Ken Bates.

Edited by LaticsPete

"As you may have read in the Press, the directors have been examining very carefully the club's finances, and they are indeed in a sorry state. One supporter suggested that the standard of football should be improved before we increase the prices, but how does one improve the standard of football when the gate receipts last season did not even pay the wage bill?

It is very easy for the supporters to say the Board should do this or do that or do the other, and your present directors have decided to take this advice lioterally and improve the Club, both on and off the field, and this is going to cost money. The first step is to put the admission prices on a more realistic basis for next season. The alternative would be to close the club because without a bigger income there is no future for first-class football at Boundary Park. In this process we shall lose a few so-called supporters who, having called the club and the directors for doing nothing progressive in the past, will now call thwem, presumably, because they are doing something. We shall not miss these financial geniuses who are very good at telling other people how to do the impossible and are conspicuous by their absence when asked to do something themselves. I am satisfied that the majority of people of Oldham are intelligent people, who appreciate that a succesful club costs money, which must be provided by the people who support that club".

How little has changed in 42 years, eh?

Perhaps we should change our name to Oldham Apathetic to more closely identify with the majority of the red shirted morons around the town?

It is very easy for the supporters to say the Board should do this or do that or do the other, and your present directors have decided to take this advice lioterally and improve the Club, both on and off the field, and this is going to cost money. The first step is to put the admission prices on a more realistic basis for next season. The alternative would be to close the club because without a bigger income there is no future for first-class football at Boundary Park. In this process we shall lose a few so-called supporters who, having called the club and the directors for doing nothing progressive in the past, will now call thwem, presumably, because they are doing something. We shall not miss these financial geniuses who are very good at telling other people how to do the impossible and are conspicuous by their absence when asked to do something themselves. I am satisfied that the majority of people of Oldham are intelligent people, who appreciate that a succesful club costs money, which must be provided by the people who support that club".

How very interesting could be used again word for word 42 years on

Guest oa_exile
I never thought I would say this but I agree with Ken Bates.

What and eventually leave the club high and dry ? , he was the first , followed by CM , I hope that TTA dont publish the same statement some 42 years later.

The first two had "Visions" for the Club that did not "Come off" and so literally " :censored: Off" when it didnt happen quickly enough.

It is very easy for the supporters to say the Board should do this or do that or do the other, and your present directors have decided to take this advice literally and improve the Club, both on and off the field, and this is going to cost money. The first step is to put the admission prices on a more realistic basis for next season. The alternative would be to close the club because without a bigger income there is no future for first-class football at Boundary Park. In this process we shall lose a few so-called supporters who, having called the club and the directors for doing nothing progressive in the past, will now call them, presumably, because they are doing something. We shall not miss these financial geniuses who are very good at telling other people how to do the impossible and are conspicuous by their absence when asked to do something themselves. I am satisfied that the majority of people of Oldham are intelligent people, who appreciate that a succesful club costs money, which must be provided by the people who support that club".

Andy,

I have highlighted the bit I agree with.

The alternative would be to close the club because without a bigger income there is no future for first-class football at Boundary Park.

I disagree with this bit, if a club is hemorrhaging cash then the alternative is to look at where costs can be saved, in footie it usually is the wage bill so you flog/release the high earners and bring in donkeys players you can afford to fulfil the fixtures. To close a club straight away without exploring the alternatives a bit on the rash side.

Guest oa_exile
To be fair...I dont think he was saying that was ok :P

You are right !

Sorry Tony I used your post to as the catalyst to vent my anger on the statement made by Mr MasterBATES. (The statement I have read before)

If Mr MasterBATES had maybe spent more time sat in his Chairmans office at BP rather than swanning around looking after his other business enterprises than maybe he could have done something more at BP knowing the ship was sinking , after all he is a "financial geniuse".

Just a point to add about his "Statement" the club did survive after he :censored: Off - JUST :)

You are right !

Sorry Tony I used your post to as the catalyst to vent my anger on the statement made by Mr MasterBATES. (The statement I have read before)

If Mr MasterBATES had maybe spent more time sat in his Chairmans office at BP rather than swanning around looking after his other business enterprises than maybe he could have done something more at BP knowing the ship was sinking , after all he is a "financial geniuse".

Just a point to add about his "Statement" the club did survive after he :censored: Off - JUST :)

He is a Financial what? I hope that isn't swearing!!

"...

...In this process we shall lose a few so-called supporters who, having called the club and the directors for doing nothing progressive in the past, will now call them, presumably, because they are doing something.

Is Ken Bates from Oldham? Interesting use of the verb "call".

You are right !

No worries, he was, is and always will be a see you next Tuesday.