question for cricket fans

Do you favour 20/20 cricket?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favour 20/20 cricket

• Yes I love it I want to see more of it
    • No I prefer the 40/50 overs format
    • I dont mind it but too much of it would be a bad thing

This debate might of been done to death by some people, but what do people think? I like 20/20 but I feel that maybe too much of it would be a bad thing, it appeals to kids and maybe your day trippers but I was at the Lancashire vs Leicestershire game yesterday and thought to myself at the end "is that it?", I think that maybe they should only play 20/20 games in an evening

I think there is too much one day cricket played (county and international) so I don't mind Twenty20 replacing some of it, but if it meant that Tests and the County Championship slip further down the pecking order then it would be a concern. Already the County game hardly gets reported in the papers,and it seems like most of English Test cricket is geared towards the Ashes rather being top class international sport in it's own right. Adapt or die I guess, but there is still no sporting event in the world taht I am more determined to see than Lancs lifting the County Championship.

My cricket-watching days were many years ago at Werneth and The Pollards and ....er ....Latics v Rugby. I shall be attending my first-ever first class cricket match next Sunday when Notts play Lancs at Trent Bridge in a 20/20 game. I fancy it because I know it will be compressed sporting entertainment, rather than a game lasting all day or for several days.

Just one thing, will someone please explain 'Duckworth Lewis' to me, so that I can sound authoritative when Mrs. Sideburns starts asking questions at the game?

I love cricket in all its forms and get down to Old Trafford whenever I can to watch Lancashire.

I like 20/20 and it does appeal to a wider audience than the other forms of the game but it should never replace the 4/5 day versions of the game.

I like LL would dearly love to see Lancashire lift the county championship in my lifetime, we have come pretty close the last couple of years but it has just proved elusive and I already feel it is out of our reach again this season. :disappointed:

I am a big fan of 20/20 but I can only see all this money being poured in being a bad thing. 20/20 should be used as a tool to interest people in the longer version of the game but instead, over time, I can see it killing off the longer version of the game. In particular, the county game will deteriorate as winning the 20/20 Cup will take much more precidence over the County Championship due to the huge differential in prize money.

My cricket-watching days were many years ago at Werneth and The Pollards and ....er ....Latics v Rugby. I shall be attending my first-ever first class cricket match next Sunday when Notts play Lancs at Trent Bridge in a 20/20 game. I fancy it because I know it will be compressed sporting entertainment, rather than a game lasting all day or for several days.

Just one thing, will someone please explain 'Duckworth Lewis' to me, so that I can sound authoritative when Mrs. Sideburns starts asking questions at the game?

By definition, a 20/20 game cannot be a first class cricket match.

1st class cricket

Edited by Latics & England

Im not really into watching cricket, i was more into playing it when i was younger. But i have to admit that im going on friday to OT to watch the 20/20. I dont even know who's playing though, im going because its chance to catch up with all my old mates from when i played footy for Middleton town. There will be about 20 of us heading into Manchester at about 2pm to get larrupped and "watch the cricket".

Last time i went it was an all day thing and that was fantastic. The sun was blazing and the beer was flowing. We managed to build a tower over 15 foot high out of all the empty pint pots we drank from which was very impressive at the time. I then got dared to run with it to the toilets and back without being caught by the stewards. Whilst being chased back though i tripped, this resulted in me knackering my knee and about 20 people getting hit in the head by flying plastic pint pots.

Beardy is coming with me this time, lets hope its as enjoyable.

i love all the types,but in a way,they are 3 different things...

test cricket- like chess...its all about strategy,patience and out-thinking your opponent.

1 day game- like draughts....less strategy,bit of skill,bit of luck

20/20- like noughts and crosses...pure "lets just go for it" !

Speaking of Cricket, does anyone know where i can get a Lancs shirt from, i have an old Lancs top, when it was the AXA league, but i would prefer a newer version.

The club shop at Old Trafford? :blink:

It's easier to chase a reduced target if the average number of runs per over is the same (less time to lose wickets and so on) so DL takes some of that advantage back off the chasing side. Dead simple, calculated by maths that are apparently dead hard.

Beardy get yourself onto www.lccc.co.uk for the club shop.

Cricket tops dont seem to appear as much in the mainstream sports shops as much, however this could change now England has Adidas as its maker.

Dead simple, calculated by maths that are apparently dead hard.

And I thought it was just the expected number of runs after a prescribed number of overs and wickets being equal to the average total if an unlimited number of overs was available for the prescribed number of wickets multiplied by 1 minus the exponential of a decay constant that varies with the number of wickets lost multiplied with the number of overs used.

Can't understand what you are harping on about.

OldhamSheridan

BSc (Hons) Statistics

Im not really into watching cricket, i was more into playing it when i was younger. But i have to admit that im going on friday to OT to watch the 20/20. I dont even know who's playing though, im going because its chance to catch up with all my old mates from when i played footy for Middleton town. There will be about 20 of us heading into Manchester at about 2pm to get larrupped and "watch the cricket".

Last time i went it was an all day thing and that was fantastic. The sun was blazing and the beer was flowing. We managed to build a tower over 15 foot high out of all the empty pint pots we drank from which was very impressive at the time. I then got dared to run with it to the toilets and back without being caught by the stewards. Whilst being chased back though i tripped, this resulted in me knackering my knee and about 20 people getting hit in the head by flying plastic pint pots.

it's Yorkshire, my brother is going

And I thought it was just the expected number of runs after a prescribed number of overs and wickets being equal to the average total if an unlimited number of overs was available for the prescribed number of wickets multiplied by 1 minus the exponential of a decay constant that varies with the number of wickets lost multiplied with the number of overs used.

Can't understand what you are harping on about.

OldhamSheridan

BSc (Hons) Statistics

The feeling is mutual. I was fine until the decay constant came into the frame.

Leeslover

BA (Hons) PPE

MA - I don't tell people the subject because it gives me an absolute killer comeback about once every 5 years.

Beardy get yourself onto www.lccc.co.uk for the club shop.

Cricket tops dont seem to appear as much in the mainstream sports shops as much, however this could change now England has Adidas as its maker.

have you seen the change shirt? It's basically Liverpools home shirt from last season only the sponsor and the badge different

That's what I thought until hometownclub pointed me in the right direction. :unsure:

Guest sheridans_world

I enjoy watching all forms of cricket. Believe it or not I find test cricket more interesting, following a game that lasts 4(county) or 5 (test) days is exciting. The way the swing of power can change farily quickly from session to session. Couple of quick wickets or a high run-rate in a session.

Then I got interested in the 50 over game, found it interesting, good for a quick game of cricket and showed the skill of being able to play quickly.

Now I really enjoy 20/20 but I think its spoiling the rest of the game. All this talk of the IPL, the EPL and the ICL and who is eligable for what league etc. Spoiling the game, its just not cricket.

The example I heard this morning was: Stuart Law played in the IPL and therefore is banned from playing in the ICL which Lancashire could qualify for if they got to the 20/20 English final. However the IPL would ban Lancashire because of Stuart Law. Lancashire would then sue the ICL for not allowing them to take part and Stuart Law would sue Lancashire for lost earnings. It gets rediculous. India have taken the initiative and started the IPL but I think its far far too much too soon and it could ruin the other aspects of the game.

Lets face it, if you could earn £100k for one days work or earn £100k for 5 days work, which would you do?

The example I heard this morning was: Stuart Law played in the IPL and therefore is banned from playing in the ICL which Lancashire could qualify for if they got to the 20/20 English final. However the IPL would ban Lancashire because of Stuart Law. Lancashire would then sue the ICL for not allowing them to take part and Stuart Law would sue Lancashire for lost earnings. It gets rediculous. India have taken the initiative and started the IPL but I think its far far too much too soon and it could ruin the other aspects of the game.

Dont you mean he played in the ICL which means the IPL are saying he will not be allowed to play in the Champions League is Lancs qualify? I dont see how Stuart Law could sure Lancashire anyway, it was his choice to play in a unofficial league.

Went to the match and brought Lancy the luck needed to end a losing streak. There was no atmosphere, just applause for Notts during their innings, and then applause from the handful of Lancy fans in due course. I met a previously unknown fellow Latic as soon as I entered Trent Bridge - what were the odds on that?

The best part of the afternoon was being able to go onto the outfield afterwards, and watch at close quarters Flintoff going through a series of exercises with his Physio and bowling at a single stump.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Went to the match and brought Lancy the luck needed to end a losing streak. There was no atmosphere, just applause for Notts during their innings, and then applause from the handful of Lancy fans in due course. I met a previously unknown fellow Latic as soon as I entered Trent Bridge - what were the odds on that?

The best part of the afternoon was being able to go onto the outfield afterwards, and watch at close quarters Flintoff going through a series of exercises with his Physio and bowling at a single stump.

There was an atmosphere the last time I was at Trent Bridge to see Lancy, possibly aided by about 20 Accy lads who appeared to have wet their lips on the way down. A tiny part of the amusements from the Latics visit to Forest last season sprung from that day.

• 2 weeks later...