What are you listening to at this moment?

Whistle Possé in the areeeeoh!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyjf-Bic_b4?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyjf-Bic_b4?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyjf-Bic_b4?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

And if the kindly mods could sort out my post on the last page that would be nice.

Edited by beag_teeets

The soundtrack to Bob Wilson reading out the football league tables right at the end of Grandstand/Final Score in the late 80's.

Halcyon.

I had completely forgotten about that!

Bad days - when I had to work until 3.30p, on a Saturday.

Next bit of listening this morning:

Bruce Springsteen - John Henry

The Seeger Sessions album and live album are very special.

(espeically for Liverpool fans)

Edited by opinions4u

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to a ton of BEACH HOUSE at the moment in preparation for their Manchester Cathedral gig in a fortnight.

To describe them would be something like if Nico joined up with Fleetwood Mac and Brian Wilson produced them. Immense, haunting, beautiful music.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Top gig, wasn't it? The acoustics in that building are sensational.

It was fantastic.

As usual I ended up in the bloody thorough-fair as at times half the crowd seemed to be trying to squeeze past me in their endless meanderings from point A to B back to A then back to B. Plus I was right in front of two right Tarquins during the bit when it was just John and a guitar who insisted on talking all the way through, I was fuming and "about to say something" but struck with British reserve until some woman barged right through them and said "are you going to talk all night" which prompted apologies from them and made me feel rather silly for not saying anything earlier.

I am now trying to crowbar the phrase "This is about drinking........... and disaster" in whenever I get the chance.

I’m not a fan of folk music but I do enjoy songs with a social message and I’ve been to see the Oldham Tinkers and Billy Bragg in the past.

On Friday I went to the National Forest Folk Club to see Roy Bailey and Tony Benn's presentation of "The Writing On The Wall", an alternative view of how we got where we are today and where we could be going next. They gave a history of dissent in words and song, drawing on first-hand experiences and the stories of the people they don't teach about in schools.

After 50 years in the House of Commons Tony Benn declared he was retiring “…in order to spend more time in politics.” His stories recalled memories and anecdotes and were very illuminating and funny, as he skipped through the history of resistance to oppression and exploitation in England from the Peasants' Revolt of the 14th century up to the present day. Love him or loathe him, Tony Benn is very eloquent on humanitarian issues and there is much logic, common sense and sincerity in his idealism, principles and convictions.

All this was interspersed with, and illustrated by, songs from folk-singer Roy Bailey, and it was a witty, perceptive and thought-provoking show.

There is a CD available of 'The writing On The Wall' presentation, and I'm sure anyone with the slightest interest in politics, human rights, current affairs or alternative opinions would will find it hard to resist the humour, charisma, enthusiasm and passion of the two performers.

Went to the Robin, Bilston last night for the Roy Wood Rock ‘n’ Roll Band Christmas Party. Roy played a selection of his impressive back catalogue from the 60s and 70s when he was in The Move, Electric Light Orchestra and Wizzard. He’s written some of the best pop songs of any era, which have stood the test of time and earned him an Ivor Novello award, ‘Classic Songwriter’ Awards from both Mojo and Classic Rock magazines, and a Doctorate of Music from Derby University - he now lives in Derbyshire.

3067981774_bedaa479b8_m.jpg

It was a great night of dancing and singing along to such classics as California Man, I Can Hear The Grass Grow, Fire Brigade, Flowers In The Rain, Blackberry Way, Ball Park Incident, See My Baby Jive, Angel Fingers, Are You Ready To Rock and the inevitable set closer I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day.

Anyone remember the late night TV show O.T.T. in 1982 - a sort of adult Tiswas? Roy Wood wrote and performed the signature tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMYbgbHxDIk

Went to watch James at the M.E.N. Arena in Manchester last night and my final gig of the year turned out to be my favourite gig of the year. I have written a review but it comes with a health warning, it is very long...

...I know some people who post on here also went to the gig last night, so the link to the review is below.

James review (warning: it's lengthy)