Quiz question!

Evening all,

After a spot of research I have come up with a rather difficult quiz question for you all.

I have categorised a number of teams into 2 groups as follows.

Group A

Oldham

Huddersfield

Liverpool

Port Vale

Bradford

Carlisle

Millwall

Southend

Luton

Sheffield Wednesday

Sheffield United

Tottenham

QPR

Group B

Man United

Man City

Arsenal

Leeds

Burnley

Blackburn

Walsall

Stockport

Fulham

Your task is to guess the link between the teams in each group.

More teams can be added to each group, and in theory most of the 92 league clubs belong in one or the other. There is however a third group that some teams belong in, and it may be correct to say a few even belong in more than one.

I have a number of further clues which I may add in stages if no-one gets it.

Your time starts......... now!

Having gone through a range of possibilities including being close to a river, having an odd numbered capacity. Is it that the grounds in group A the pitch goes (in terms of length) north-south and in group B the pitch goes West-East.

Having gone through a range of possibilities including being close to a river, having an odd numbered capacity. Is it that the grounds in group A the pitch goes (in terms of length) north-south and in group B the pitch goes West-East.

ex players and managers

All group B teams have a bloke called Brian who sits in seat c12 of the main stand (Except man u where it is an irish transvestite by the name of Briony).

Group A teams all share the distinction of having 12 blades of grass per sq inch on the pitch (Of course I've counted ours - what else was there to do early last season :wink: ).

Swindon could qualify for group A as they have a bloke called Robert in C12, but his mates call him Brian - and the lady in the same seat at Tranmere was once burgled by a man called Brian (Though this is a tenuous link because she's also been burgled by 17 other names and a trained squirrel).

Am I close, or is it something to do with the dug-outs?

Is it all the clubs in group A have or have had a sloping pitch and group B have flat pitches. Or clutching at straws , or blades of grass here, Group A have floodlight pylons and group B have lights built into the stands not free standing like ours.

I give up!

Nothing to do with blokes called Brian, blades of grass, animals, floodlights, cantilever stands, or sloping pitches.

Here is the first cryptic clue:

Between 2002 and 2004 Fulham were in group A, but have been in group B since.

Something to do with groundsharing or playing at their original ground?

It's not to do with groundsharing or switching grounds.

However someone has rightly twigged Fulham were in the same group as QPR when they were both sharing, but now they're back at their own ground the two teams are in opposite groups. Craven Cottage & Loftus Road are different in some way....

However someone has rightly twigged Fulham were in the same group as QPR when they were both sharing, but now they're back at their own ground the two teams are in opposite groups. Craven Cottage & Loftus Road are different in some way....

we beat them all on the plastic pitch

Grounds that have hosted other sporting events other than football, or have hosted rugby matches?

Fraid not -

More teams can be added to each group, and in theory most of the 92 league clubs belong in one or the other. There is however a third group that some teams belong in, and it may be correct to say a few even belong in more than one.

Other sports and plastic pitches can be taken out of the equation.

The teams in group A are all linked with Fabian Yantorno, whereas all the teams in Group B have offered to help in his rehabilitation from injury.

I thought Fabian Yantorno had just signed for Gretna so why would he be linked to any of these clubs? :grin:

All the grounds in group A are rectangular shaped and all the grounds in group B are ovals ie one roundish unbroken stand that runs right round the ground.........maybe????

Not the shape of the ground, police boxes or Tuesday night matches. The scoreboard guess is however somewhere along the right lines.

We have established that it is something to do with the stadium, so I'll provide you with another clue that should trigger people's thoughts: the third group that I mentioned existed - one of the teams in it is Everton.