whittaker signs

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a work mate who's relatively in the know at Vale (sits in the box, gets to chat to players and directors and the like... think he's still a bit scared of Lee Sinnott though! :D ).

He says Whitaker's creative but a bit lightweight. Some Vale fans got a bit frustrated cos he wasn't one to go flying into tackles or run about too much (which worries me a bit knowing what some of our boneheads are like). Played most of last season on the left but isn't really a winger. My mate reckons his best position is behind the front two where his creativity can hurt teams the most, but he needs someone else (i.e. Allott and Eardley) to do the heavy duty stuff behind him.

I see this signing as another important piece in the jigsaw. Our biggest problem last season wasn't so much the quality of our best eleven but our lack of squad depth to cover for injuries. Whitaker may not make our first eleven straight away, but we're going to need players of his quality to come in at some point in the season.

He says Whitaker's creative but a bit lightweight. Some Vale fans got a bit frustrated cos he wasn't one to go flying into tackles or run about too much (which worries me a bit knowing what some of our boneheads are like). Played most of last season on the left but isn't really a winger. My mate reckons his best position is behind the front two where his creativity can hurt teams the most, but he needs someone else (i.e. Allott and Eardley) to do the heavy duty stuff behind him.

From what I have seen of him that's a fair assessment.

I'm personally quite happy with this signing, i think its a very sensible one - he appears; from the the 1 game i've seen him play in & the info coming from the Vale boards, to be the type of midfielder we have been lacking - good passer / weighs in with goals / 2 footed / versitile.

As said earlier in the thread - i'm liking the look of the midfield; competition for places / versitility & it appears we now have a plan b & c.....changes to the teams mid game & the possibility to change formations & personel are now possible it would seem

LB needed and then i'm a very happy boy - feeling very positive for this season!! :D