stam

liddell

stevens

o grady

very good squad

we also have smalley

allessandra

kalala if he stays

i believe if we get hills in and a left sided midfielder on loan we have a very decent chance next season

Plus Black, and Thompson.

The strongest squad easily since the Dowie days in terms of depth... with at least a couple of more to come in... (and perhaps one or two out?)

You never know - we might even have a reserve side next year!

The strongest squad easily since the Dowie days in terms of depth... with at least a couple of more to come in... (and perhaps one or two out?)

Yes I agree....its a good sqaud and one that is capable of getting promoted....big season for everyone this one...

As always keeping clear of injurys will be a big factor....but hopefully we will have more strength in depth this time around to help ease the problem!

Why do we need another LB when we have Lomax and Black

I would have thought because Lomax is a right back and Black has hardly played a first team game. It will be good to 'blood' Black a bit, and Lomax does a decent job but I prefer players in their natural positions myself.

i like how we have done our business early, we should have our whole squad sorted for pre season training giving players the best amount of time to gel

its good to see the management team learning this year and getting the majority of the squad together early....i think there back in training two weeks earlier than normal this time....

i think if we bring in another 2 players that will be about it really...but you never know...i think the loan system will be used to bring in hopefully a very good left sided left footed player.....

no harm in black being included in the first team squad,but this season i hope we only need to blood youngsters if we are well in front in games,,or have another bad season injury wise.....we need quality and experience all over this time...its a very big season for everybody.

i like how we have done our business early, we should have our whole squad sorted for pre season training giving players the best amount of time to gel

Pretty confident we will se at least another left hand sided player in before the start of pre season training... more for the midfield role, as black, lomax and lee are fine for LB... then we will have one hell of a strong squad... even if we lose eardley which is still very possible, Lomax, Hazell and Lee can cover - as can Chrissy T - lots and lots of options, and the first time for a long time you can genuinely name 20 1st team pro's

Think we will then see a couple of Loans coming in to bolster the ranks further - normally just before the start of the season when certain players are left out of team selections....

As is said though, impressed with the speed of the clubs actions, and have gone for players they have targetted for a while, not just pre-season impulse buys which seems to happen so often... well done to all the backroom staff, the prime need was for greater depth, and we now definitely have that.

... al about he injuries though... basically if we keep Hughes and davies fit, even if we just put traffic cones behind them (or thompson and kalala) we would still be up there....

Edited by BigfinLatic

Unfortunately, on paper (as the real thing has yet to be proved), it doesn't look anywhere near the same calibre of talent.

I'm sticking with my preditction. No where near promotion.

KtF,

Derek.

Unfortunately, on paper (as the real thing has yet to be proved), it doesn't look anywhere near the same calibre of talent.

KtF,

Derek.

Another sunny day in the Wilson House...

Ok then Derek - we finished 8th last year, and if it wasnt for an abysmal start and terrible injuries we could have been in the playoffs... what makes you think that after adding substantial depth, the kids being a year older, and getting our players fit that we will suddently be "nowhere near promotion" ...???

Now, i'm not saying we are nailed on certs, but it was widely accepted what we needed was better depth and a decent physio.. for me that is what we have achieved... or are these all a step backward to you?

Granted, it isnt the clibre of player immidiately... however we dont know how good some of the players are, and I can tell you thismuch - Hughes and Davies are a damn sight better than Corrazin and Andrews who played most of that season up front!

Ok then Derek - we finished 8th last year, and if it wasnt for an abysmal start and terrible injuries we could have been in the playoffs... what makes you think that after adding substantial depth, the kids being a year older, and getting our players fit that we will suddently be "nowhere near promotion" ...???

Now, i'm not saying we are nailed on certs, but it was widely accepted what we needed was better depth and a decent physio.. for me that is what we have achieved... or are these all a step backward to you?

Granted, it isnt the clibre of player immidiately... however we dont know how good some of the players are, and I can tell you thismuch - Hughes and Davies are a damn sight better than Corrazin and Andrews who played most of that season up front!

True IMO, thought Corrazin got a lot of undeserved stick sometimes but cant disagree with that, personally would have Andrews back but that is beside the point. If Wijnhard has stayed fit that season I personally think we would have gone up.

that squad was also based on a vastly inflated budget - m**** trebled the wage bill to 3mill a year and that squad wasnt brilliant, had people like duxbury, eyre, d sheridan all hard workers but not what you'd call stand outs ala wellens etc.

hopefully weve got a squad with players wanting to prove themselves and do well with us lets wait and see, shez knows he has to get this years squad right so if we fail to get minimum top 6 on his head be it.

of course we will be in the top 2 but i dont want to go overboard just yet!

KtF,

Derek.

:grin:

Look forward to more chats in season, Wilson.

I also expect a couple of youth team players to emerge next season and figure in first team plans.

I would have thought youngsters like Smalley, Alessandra, maybe Lomax will be further from the first team than they were this season, so surely it would take an exceptional youngster to force his way past them into the first team?

We have a larger in debth and better squad than last season and with 1 or 2 left sided players i would expect us to get play offs. With a little look could get promotion but with a little bad luck then we could miss out on play offs.

Fingers Crossed

Don't worry about Wilson, Bigfin, he's an eternal pessimist. It comes from living in 'Milnr' as it's known locally. The fact they get no sunlight and don't have leccy means invariably pasty faced and eternally gloomy! :wink:

Don't worry about Wilson, Bigfin, he's an eternal pessimist. It comes from living in 'Milnr' as it's known locally. The fact they get no sunlight and don't have leccy means invariably pasty faced and eternally gloomy! :wink:

Here was me thinking he was on downer 'cos the Scum are looking increasingly like losing twinkle toes, ho ho ho, biggest club in the world my arse. Real Madrid gets what Real Madrid wants simple as............ :wink:

Now I've had my pessimistic moments but 3 consecutive top 10 finishes in 3 years, keeping the squad together (fingers crossed) and adding youth and experience can only mean a positive outcome. As long as we don't start slowly I believe next season could be a special season, for the first time in years we have genuine depth. We have the terminator in the treatment room a kind of male Hattie Jacques matron type and it seems the three week 'niggles' won't wash next season and they'll have to earn their keep. I'll stick my neck out now and say I reckon we'll finish top 4. If a team of kids without a recognised permanent striker can finish 8th then the potential of a bit of luck with injuries especially with Hughes, Davies, Gregan, Rubes and Ratman really can see us go all the way.

I would have thought youngsters like Smalley, Alessandra, maybe Lomax will be further from the first team than they were this season, so surely it would take an exceptional youngster to force his way past them into the first team?

I predict at least one new face will break through, and he could the best of the lot. :wink:

Alas if we have another bad start this season we might struggle to go up as we are playing a lot of fancied (by the bookies) teams early this season (and Cheltenahm who are a bit of a bogey team). Hopefully having a squad will mean that we won't conceed as many late goals as we did last season as if we had held on to half the points we lost in the last 5 minutes we would have got into the play-offs (considering who we dropped points to). Lets hope these new signings don't cause as much disharmony in the team as a certain signing last year did which also cost us points.