England Managers not as bad as they seem

Well Sven had a good season at Citeh and el umbrella man lost out in a group of death. Russia were well deserved winners tonight (remember we beat them 3-0 and were very unlucky to loose in Moscow) and Croatia were unlucky last night. Perhaps some members of the fourth estate should take a long hard look at themselves.

Well Sven had a good season at Citeh and el umbrella man lost out in a group of death. Russia were well deserved winners tonight (remember we beat them 3-0 and were very unlucky to loose in Moscow) and Croatia were unlucky last night. Perhaps some members of the fourth estate should take a long hard look at themselves.

It is a nice theory but it should be remembered that it was actually the dropped points against Macedonia and Israel that cost us our place in the finals.

You are not seriously suggesting that "McLaren" was given a hard time but was in fact a brilliant tactician, motivator and thinker of the game. My mother could have done a better job.

You are not seriously suggesting that "McLaren" was given a hard time but was in fact a brilliant tactician, motivator and thinker of the game. My mother could have done a better job.

Heck no I'm not suggesting that. McClaren was/is not the best manager and promoting the previous incumbant's number two is usually not the best solution and often fails. What I was suggesting is that a group England were 'expected' (certainly not by me) to walk has proven a lot harder than it was thought to be by the competitions performance at these Euros. So when England did fail to qualify he was vilifed severly when IMHO he shouldn't have been as harsly treated as he was with hindsight. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been fired as he failed to do his job (and I don't think he was capable of doing his job) and when most people don't do their job they get fired. However, the people who really deserve to get fired were the ones who appointed him in the first place instead of some of the other candidates yet they still are in their custy jobs with big salaries and nice benefits.

Heck no I'm not suggesting that. McClaren was/is not the best manager and promoting the previous incumbant's number two is usually not the best solution and often fails. What I was suggesting is that a group England were 'expected' (certainly not by me) to walk has proven a lot harder than it was thought to be by the competitions performance at these Euros. So when England did fail to qualify he was vilifed severly when IMHO he shouldn't have been as harsly treated as he was with hindsight. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been fired as he failed to do his job (and I don't think he was capable of doing his job) and when most people don't do their job they get fired. However, the people who really deserve to get fired were the ones who appointed him in the first place instead of some of the other candidates yet they still are in their custy jobs with big salaries and nice benefits.

I agree. The one's who hired McLaren are also the villains. But McLaren's failure is item 600 on their roster of woe, which is topped by building the new Wembley in Wembley, which is a :censored:hole.

Bobby Robson - Great manager, sadly forced out by the press.

Graham Taylor - Best forgotton about.

Terry Venables - Great manager, forced out by the suits at the FA due to his 'business' interests. He has never been found guilty of anything.

Glenn Hoddle - I thought he did a great job getting us to France 98, sadly his devotion to faith healing and religion proved to be his downfall. Forced out be the press.

Kevin Keegan - Campaigned for by the press, but lets face it, this guy was never up to the task tactically. He knew it and had the balls to admit it.

Sven - I always felt he did a good job, he got us qualified for every tournament. Press forced him in to leaving after chasing every avenue of his personal life. Forced out by the press.

Steve McClaren - Wasnt even 3rd choice for the job. We go for Scolari, we get McClaren. He never had the teams confidence, the only 'big' decision he could make was dropping Backham, which proved to be wrong.

Personally I wouldnt have gone for Capello, I think we've done the foreign boss route and I think we have a few decent English choices that would have been up to the task. My choice would have been Redknapp, but once he was arrested that pretty much screwed his chances. Someone did that deliberately, Police show up when he's not at home AND have the British press in tow with them.

Edited by 3 Lions

Terry Venables - Great manager, forced out by the suits at the FA due to his 'business' interests. He has never been found guilty of anything.

A very average manager who plays the media well. Squeezed us through to the later stages of a tournament, being the only one of the above with home advantage in the Worlds or Europeans, despite only actually playing one good game in that competition.

McClaren found his level putting cones out in Salford. The FA are utter cocks, always have been. David Davies was punching above his weight reading the news on NW Tonight.

If our players were anywhere near as good as the media and average premiership fans believe them to be then we would qualify without a manger. I see better players while watching south american football in the middle of the night on channel 5 than I see making England squads.

McLaren although he did make some daft decisions (Carson?!?) only shoulders a bit of blame for me....the problem is the lack of talent, or to be more specific, grassroots set-up, facilities and coaching.

But it's ok we will just continue to host the global league that is the premiership and contest all 'English' champions league finals whilst failing to qualify for competitions like the Euros......great adverts for 'English' football those.

anybody have ince down as the next england manager? doesnt have any loyalty to any particular club, and isnt affraid to say what he thinks. its more about his career than club success for him. give it five or six years and he will be a good choice.

anybody have ince down as the next england manager? doesnt have any loyalty to any particular club, and isnt affraid to say what he thinks. its more about his career than club success for him. give it five or six years and he will be a good choice.

That's the positives. On the downside, he's an imbecile, has displayed utter arrogance as a player yet lacked the balls to back it up when his country needed real men to step forward, his eyebrows have a more appealing personality than he does, and, oh yes, he's a :censored:.

Yes that's the one for the future

Stuart Pierce in a couple of years time then Ince to be his assistant

Both men with passion for England and can speak the lingo ( well sort of ) :grin:

He is also of an different ethnicity to all the other mangers and although it shouldn't count I think a lot of fuss has been made about him being the first black english manager in the premiership for a reason. (I'm assuming Viv Anderson's tenure as caretaker at Boro doesn't count but who is the other black manager)

He is also of an different ethnicity to all the other mangers and although it shouldn't count I think a lot of fuss has been made about him being the first black english manager in the premiership for a reason. (I'm assuming Viv Anderson's tenure as caretaker at Boro doesn't count but who is the other black manager)

Is that last bit asking which non-English black managers have managed in Division 1 post 1992?

Jean Tigana springs to mind. Ruud Gullitt. I can't think of any more.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

That's the positives. On the downside, he's an imbecile, has displayed utter arrogance as a player yet lacked the balls to back it up when his country needed real men to step forward, his eyebrows have a more appealing personality than he does, and, oh yes, he's a :censored:.

Also now tainted by involvement with Franchise FC

Pearce may have passion, but he showed he couldnt cut it in the premiership, we also picked Keegan because of his passion and look where that got us. As for Ince, I'll wait and see how he does, there is a massive difference between managing a mickey mouse team in mickey mouse league 2 and taking over a team with European ambitions in the premiership.