craig davies

contracts are up at the end of the coming season.

wellens and porter were lost due to dragging of feet.

I would imagine that contract offers will be made to players towards the end of this calendar year if they are perceived as being worth keeping and their current deal expire in the summer.

Yep said it earlier in Pre-Season, great to see us being pro-active in the transfer market this summer but lets be pro-active with the guys we've got, From January Hughes, Davies, Allott, Rubes, Greegs, Thompson (wahey!), Lidds, Lardarse, Stam, Wolfy, etc.... can all negotiate elsewhere.

And higher salary offers. Wellens stated way ahead that he was going to see what offers were on the table at the end of the season, why on Earth would he has just signed with us a year ahead, not knowing what division we were going to be in? Why would Davies necessarily sign now, knowing that it would make him less attractive to bigger and higher up sides if he scores 25 goals?

Clutching at straws now. How do you know that things aren't already in the pipeline. No wait, they already are. It's on the fishul page that announces ALL the goings on. Todays news..... John Smith of Royton buys an away shirt..........Tea Lady brews up...........Man walks dog past the stadium.

I'm guessing but the idea is that if you renew now you get another two year contract, that is an extension of a year with potentially a year of their original contract at a different pay. Extend towards January and you are more likely to extend it for a couple of years, a shorter immediate time (6 months) at a higher rate and you can play the situation by ear come December.

Let's face it if a player wants off there is little that can be done nowadays.

I can't see us getting Hughes' extended until the end of this season, if then.

id be in there now 'hey craig hows the hamstring? shame that i really thought you were gona smash the 20 gol mark. fancy a pay rise? sign this.'

and id gamble on hughesy aswell despite the injuries. in fact id be very suprised if we havent gone at least down the davies route. maybe i think its championship manager!!!!

Yep said it earlier in Pre-Season, great to see us being pro-active in the transfer market this summer but lets be pro-active with the guys we've got, From January Hughes, Davies, Allott, Rubes, Greegs, Thompson (wahey!), Lidds, Lardarse, Stam, Wolfy, etc.... can all negotiate elsewhere.

If Wolfy wants to negotiate elsewhere then I'm sure he'd be allowed.

id be in there now 'hey craig hows the hamstring? shame that i really thought you were gona smash the 20 gol mark. fancy a pay rise? sign this.'

and id gamble on hughesy aswell despite the injuries. in fact id be very suprised if we havent gone at least down the davies route. maybe i think its championship manager!!!!

i think the club are only too well aware of the possibilities nowadays after getting shafted by porter and his greedy agent....and i seriously doubt they would let a similar situation happen again.....

wellens was different kettle of fish.....we offered him a very good deal and he chose to see what came in.....we couldnt and still cant compete with any club who offer one of our players a very lucrative signing on fee and higher wages.

I think it's already common knowledge that Hughesy will see out the remaining year of his contract and if we are promoted there is more than a small chance that he'll sign an extension...if we aren't he'll be off to the Championship. Therefore approaching him now to sign an extension isn't going to make a difference.

I suspect the same for Davies, who as a young, Wales international is always likely to do the same thing. No qualms with either of them doing that, after all they would just be seeing out their contracts.

The only difference to either of those would be if we were approached to sell them at some point during the season

wellens was different kettle of fish.....we offered him a very good deal and he chose to see what came in.....we couldnt and still cant compete with any club who offer one of our players a very lucrative signing on fee and higher wages.

are you sure? one year early? then i hate him more!! in fact i cant think of a player who we tie up in advance, not saying it hasnt happened, but i cant think of any.

The only difference to either of those would be if we were approached to sell them at some point during the season

but thats unlikely to happen as one conversation with the players agent reveals that you can save a few hundred grand by waiting 8 months or so. obviously TTA dont need me to tell them this and i like to imagine wheels are in motion, probably only with davies if im being realistic. id say hes THE prospect at the club at the mo, ahead of eards and taylor.

are you sure? one year early? then i hate him more!! in fact i cant think of a player who we tie up in advance, not saying it hasnt happened, but i cant think of any.

im not saying it was one year more or anything.....

the club knew the situation and when his contract was due to be renewed....the club approached him and made what they considered a good deal,one that would stretch us financially,but they wanted to keep him,and to a certain extent at that exact time he wanted to stay.....

the problem arose for us as he said he would not hold talks regarding his future until the end of the season,giving other clubs oppertunity to offer him a deal....he was then going to sit down see who wanted him more and make his mind up.....he rejected a few until doncaster came in and offered him 100k to sign on,slightly higher wages but we matched those,we just couldnt afford the signing on fee....so he left....

The good thing with Davies is he is young enough for us to receive some money if he stays in the Country, and he has been abroad before and doesn't seem to have liked it.

Personally I don't see the need to tie up contracts any more. It's getting to the point where players can buy their contract out anyway if they are wanted. What we shouldn't do, and we've done it again this summer, is spend money on bringing players in. It is unnecessary with so many free agents floating about.

Financially (although we are seeing the benefits right now) I would think that the days of youngsters coming through clubs will also be numbered when the current ageist rules are brought tumbling down in europe.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

What we shouldn't do, and we've done it again this summer, is spend money on bringing players in. It is unnecessary with so many free agents floating about.

Isn't that the only reason why we are talking about Davies anyway? Modest fees for him and Ratters look like money well spent, especially as you say we will most likely get money for CD if he does leave.

Personally I don't see the need to tie up contracts any more. It's getting to the point where players can buy their contract out anyway if they are wanted. What we shouldn't do, and we've done it again this summer, is spend money on bringing players in. It is unnecessary with so many free agents floating about.

that arguement is self defeating, i dont care whether the money comes from the purchasing club, the player or his agent as long as it comes. i dont mean do it for everyone but youve got to do it for this guy youve got to do it for wellens etcetera, these are the assets.

And I still don't believe that part of this commonly told tale. I can't think we got any way near what Doncaster were offering him.

i cant remember at the exact time but a few players left or were released which free'd up wages,i was under the impression that it was these wages that were used in the deal we offered him.....,the club new people wouldnt like wellens going and tried everything to keep him,but just refused point blank to pay a signing on fee to a player already at the club....in his mind he made the right choice as he is now a championship player....

then as a sort of appeasement we get kilkenny on half season loan......

Isn't that the only reason why we are talking about Davies anyway? Modest fees for him and Ratters look like money well spent, especially as you say we will most likely get money for CD if he does leave.

But what will we get if he does leave, say if he has a season like last year?

Something like £50k (i.e less than we paid for him)? Can't see it being much.

Granted if he has a great season then we should get more, but it will still hardly be a profit. If it looks like much more then he'll probably bob off upto Scotland on a free with his wages being briefly (one year) funded by some Division 2 club that doesn't want to pay too much for him.

Lardarse? that referring to Gregan?

Come january you wont be saying that. he's the best defender we have at the club.

But what will we get if he does leave, say if he has a season like last year?

Something like £50k (i.e less than we paid for him)? Can't see it being much.

Granted if he has a great season then we should get more, but it will still hardly be a profit. If it looks like much more then he'll probably bob off upto Scotland on a free with his wages being briefly (one year) funded by some Division 2 club that doesn't want to pay too much for him.

I thought we paid about £50k for him? If he scores around 20 in a fully fit season, which isn't out of the question, I could see him going for 10 times that, no problem at all. We can't spend the rest of time worrying that everyone will go to Scotland, it happened with Porter, we got shafted, move on.

That argument is self defeating, I dont care whether the money comes from the purchasing club, the player or his agent as long as it comes. I don't mean do it for everyone but you've got to do it for this guy you've got to do it for Wellens etcetera, these are the assets.

Not sure how it is self-defeating. Contracts in the game are getting shorter and shorter. Now it is pretty much the norm to have two year contracts. Player movement is up and going and will only get shorter, as contracts become more and more 'buyable out'. Obviously your best players will be the ones to want to go as they will be going upwards. So in Davies' case he will only have to serve a year (after the end of this current contract) at the club anyway and he is, although not a free agent, a very cheap agent (the value of his contract - so circa £100k if he has a year left).

NB. Some of these figures may be temporarily incorrect, but they aren't far off being the case in terms of time. It is only a matter of time before age discrimination brings down half the (longer term) contracts in football.

Edited by OldhamSheridan