I Am Worried

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he goes - he goes. Its hardly as if he was that important last year was it? Hardly played really. Rather see Davies and Allesandra anyway.

but you ignore the fact that his gol set up the fixture in your signature and its associated financial windfall

If he goes - he goes. Its hardly as if he was that important last year was it? Hardly played really. Rather see Davies and Allesandra anyway.

Do you really believe that? I think a fully fit Hughes is the main cog in the machine when it comes to getting promotion. Would be first choice every week.

But we missed out on the play-offs last year. If he and a number of others HAD played more then I'm fairly sure this wouldn't have been the case.

Do you genuinely not see that a fit and playing Lee Hughes could be a huge advantage for us this season?

I think that he is over rated by latics fans. Not saying he's a bad player at all, I'd much rather him be here this season. I'm saying it wouldn't be the disaster that some would make out.

Yeah we misssed the play offs, but Davies was out too.

Yeah he scored the goal that beat crewe, but 1 goaldoesn't make someone a world beater.

I do think my comments will be slightly twisted. I DO want him to stay, but if he goes - we are building a much healthier squad and can cope without a player who was injured / otherwise engaged for 2/3 of last season.

Edited by pukka

I think that he is over rated by latics fans. Not saying he's a bad player at all, I'd much rather him be here this season. I'm saying it wouldn't be the disaster that some would make out.

Yeah he scored the goal that beat crewe, but 1 goaldoesn't make someone a world beater.

I do think my comments will be slightly twisted. I DO want him to stay, but if he goes - we are building a much healthier squad and can cope without a player who was injured / otherwise engaged for 2/3 of last season.

o come on he is key to promotion next season best finisher in our league

If we are to go anywhere this season Hughes is essential... We have a young enough squad as it is without losing a very experienced player!! Its not all about the goals he scored he brought a lot to the team, his performance at goodison was excellent! IMO if he was to go(which i dont think will happen) it would be a major setback!

o come on he is key to promotion next season best finisher in our league

I kind of go with what Pukka is saying here to an extent. He is fairly important as he is a very good player. His goal at Southend was a class above any forward in this division (last season). But, he has been injured and I'd stick my neck out and say he'll probably miss a section of this season. It isn't the be all and end all of us.

However, I'd be reluctant to let him go for £100k or anything near to that.

I agree, he's a decent enough player but he isn't the world beater some fans make out. If he stays then fantastic but he if doesn't the team will survive and i would still expect us to challenge for promotion next season

You mean he's not 'The Greatest Latics Player Of The Last Ten Years' :mmm:

That's a fair shout Pukka, he may well be over rated by some. I think the point is though, as Davros pointed out, we'd be hard pushed to replace him if we were only getting say 100k for him, in view of the fact that we aren't paying him megabucks, and he is a proven talent. Keeping him fit is a different issue altogether of course.

It was reported that the Wendies wanted £200k for Clarke, and whilst I wouldn't mind seeing him here, a fit Hughes has more skill in his little toe that Clarke has in his whole body (and as we all know, there's a whole lot of body).

Absolute Joke if this (hopefully not) is true!

Shows the clubs ambition if this is allowed to happen and i will abandon the use of my season ticket having renewed it on the basis of having the likes of hughesy next season.

If it does can i have it? :grin:

Youd be asking for more than that though. Thats obviously paper talk. The amount of money and time it has taken for his signature and the fact he should still be in Prem if it werent for the unfortunate. I wouldnt sell for less than a mill. If Dean Windass and Lee Trundle are rated that highly, Scott Spencer went for 200k and strikers always demand a bigger fee then 100k is pathetically researched

Edited by youngen

Absolute Joke if this (hopefully not) is true!

Shows the clubs ambition if this is allowed to happen and i will abandon the use of my season ticket having renewed it on the basis of having the likes of hughesy next season.

What if he leaves on a free at the end of the season, the club can't just keep losing money. As i said earlier it would be great if he stays but if we get a decent offer then i let him go and move on. We have other decent players and there are plenty of players available, none of our players are irreplaceable.

What if he leaves on a free at the end of the season, the club can't just keep losing money. As i said earlier it would be great if he stays but if we get a decent offer then i let him go and move on. We have other decent players and there are plenty of players available, none of our players are irreplaceable.

£100k is NOT a reasonable offer though is it Gemma? Latics will invariably always be a selling club, but under no circumstances should we be selling at ridiculous knock down prices.

£100k is NOT a reasonable offer though is it Gemma? Latics will invariably always be a selling club, but under no circumstances should we be selling at ridiculous knock down prices.

I dont think it is no but its down to the club to decide if we get an offer for him what they think is a decent price. They didnt make an offer and were only looking at him if he was available on a free so the £100k quoted in the paper was rubbish anyway.

Youd be asking for more than that though. Thats obviously paper talk. The amount of money and time it has taken for his signature and the fact he should still be in Prem if it werent for the unfortunate. I wouldnt sell for less than a mill. If Dean Windass and Lee Trundle are rated that highly, Scott Spencer went for 200k and strikers always demand a bigger fee then 100k is pathetically researched

Yes clearly you'd ask for more. It's not going to happen though, their gaffer has admitted as much. Nothing in it. Naughty agents.

So (hypothetically) how much would be a sufficient amount for him to go?

I'd take half a million myself, any less and I'd agree it makes little sense taking an offer at this stage as he is an important player.

But, for the naysayers, there isn't a player at this club that we will refuse at a certain price. If good (richer) teams want them then take what we can I say.