The Gaffer today dismissed reports that he was attempting to bring 32 year old striker Lee Hughes to Tannadice from Oldham Athletic, but that this had nothing to do with the player's past.

“What has happened here is that an agent called about Lee Hughes and told me he was out of contract,” said the Gaffer.

“I did a wee bit of research, however, and found out he still had a year of his contract to run, so I did not even make an enquiry.

“Oldham would be wanting quite a bit of money for him and as we are still not exactly flavour of the month with them I couldn’t see them wanting to do business with us anyway.”

This reference was in connection to United attempting to take Chris Porter last year without a fee under FIFA rules. Although Porter ended up going to Motherwell, it was United’s attempt that alerted clubs to the fact that the £1 million-rated striker could head for Scotland for free.

“If Hughes had been out of contract I would have been interested because he is a very good player. What happened in the past was extremely unfortunate, but he has served his penalty and should be allowed to move on.”

The Gaffer today dismissed reports that he was attempting to bring 32 year old striker Lee Hughes to Tannadice from Oldham Athletic, but that this had nothing to do with the player's past.

“What has happened here is that an agent called about Lee Hughes and told me he was out of contract,” said the Gaffer.

“I did a wee bit of research, however, and found out he still had a year of his contract to run, so I did not even make an enquiry.

“Oldham would be wanting quite a bit of money for him and as we are still not exactly flavour of the month with them I couldn’t see them wanting to do business with us anyway.”

This reference was in connection to United attempting to take Chris Porter last year without a fee under FIFA rules. Although Porter ended up going to Motherwell, it was United’s attempt that alerted clubs to the fact that the £1 million-rated striker could head for Scotland for free.

“If Hughes had been out of contract I would have been interested because he is a very good player. What happened in the past was extremely unfortunate, but he has served his penalty and should be allowed to move on.”

Poses the question - Who's the agent????

apparently - news to the club in tonights lav paper.

Here it is:

Hughes link is news to Latics

Lee Hughes - mystery transfer talk

by Michael Yarwood

REPORTS in the national media are linking striker Lee Hughes with a move to Dundee United – but it’s news to Athletic.

The Boundary Park club have NOT received any enquiries for the 32-year-old ex-Premier League star, who it is hoped will spearhead their promotion bid next season.

Hughes is under contract for another 12 months, so Athletic could demand a hefty fee from any team planning to lure him away.

He has kept up a superb goals ratio throughout his career, hitting the net 122 times in 249 starting appearances.

The former West Brom man joined Athletic after his release from prison last August and made an impressive start before being hampered by injury.

Hughes scored eight goals, but he hasn’t played since January after undergoing an operation to cure his persistent groin problem.

Rehabilitation has gone well, and Hughes is now in excellent shape as he and his team-mates build up to the new campaign in League One.

The player has declared a strong commitment to Athletic, who shielded him from intense scrutiny when he first arrived, and he is also settled in the area.

Athletic’s pre-season preparations begin in earnest next week when John Sheridan and his squad are back in for training.

They will have just over a fortnight before encountering their first friendly – a private match with Belgian team Cercle Bruges – and are on public view at Grimsby on Saturday, July 19 (1pm kick off).

There are five signings to integrate into the squad, with goalkeeper Greg Fleming, utility man Kieran Lee, midfielders Dale Stephens and Danny Whitaker and striker Chris O’Grady all new to Boundary Park.

Athletic are still looking at the left-back position, where their main options at present are Lee, Kelvin Lomax and youngster Paul Black.

This reference was in connection to United attempting to take Chris Porter last year without a fee under FIFA rules. Although Porter ended up going to Motherwell, it was United’s attempt that alerted clubs to the fact that the £1 million-rated striker could head for Scotland for free

Tell you what, if we could get £1m for him now, even I would be tempted to sell!!

EDIT: Sorry, my bad - read it as Hughes who was worth a million...

Edited by BigfinLatic

taken from bbc 606 messageboard:

"comment by gemma06

He has turned down an extension to his existing contract which runs out at the end of this coming season, if they offer decent money for him sell him, its silly losing him for nothing at the end of the season.

It was a month or two ago now. Can't blame him i suppose, he only has a few years left so he will want to play at the highest level he can and make the most money he can. If we get promoted this season i would think he will sign a new contract with us. A bit of loyalty would be nice, especially in this situation, but unnfortunately in football there is very little loyalty left. If he has a good first half of season with us i would expect a few offers for him in January from lower championship teams"

care to name your source as you seem so certain it happened??

"comment by gemma06

He has turned down an extension to his existing contract which runs out at the end of this coming season, if they offer decent money for him sell him, its silly losing him for nothing at the end of the season.

It was a month or two ago now. Can't blame him i suppose, he only has a few years left so he will want to play at the highest level he can and make the most money he can. If we get promoted this season i would think he will sign a new contract with us. A bit of loyalty would be nice, especially in this situation, but unnfortunately in football there is very little loyalty left. If he has a good first half of season with us i would expect a few offers for him in January from lower championship teams"

If your referring to me i dont post on the bbc message boards

"comment by gemma06

This is paraphrasing what he said to Channel M... he said that he is going nowhere next season, and will stay with oldham if they get promoted, in additon to saying how thankful he is for what we have done for him...

What isnt true, and never has been stated anywhere, is that we have offered him a contract extension - that I dont belive for a second - and is 2+2=5... why on earth is that in anyway good for either party at the moment - he has been injured all season so we wont offer him an extention, and he has the potential to play much higher if fit, so why would he sign one now?

We know with hughesy its win or bust, as do the club and its a gmable worth taking, he gets fit, scores a squillion goals and we get promoted and he stays with us, if not and we fail he will probably go... if he is injured all season again then who knows....