Ernie Cooksey - Latest News

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think retiring the number 4 jersey is the right gesture (we've had a lot of number 4s) but - and I don't want to be inappropriately premature at such a tragic time - I'd like to see the club do something like a sale of replica Ernie no.4 shirts with all proceeds to suitable charities. I'd buy one.

Anyway, I don't want to be critical, I know everyone posting here is equally saddened and my thoughts go out to his family and friends. Absolutely terrible, moreso for his age.

I don't think retiring the number 4 jersey is the right gesture (we've had a lot of number 4s) but - and I don't want to be inappropriately premature at such a tragic time - I'd like to see the club do something like a sale of replica Ernie no.4 shirts with all proceeds to suitable charities. I'd buy one.

Anyway, I don't want to be critical, I know everyone posting here is equally saddened and my thoughts go out to his family and friends. Absolutely terrible, moreso for his age.

we should name a stand after him

I've no doubt the Club will do something, be it letting people get their shirts printed for a donation, or whatever. It speaks volumes for the man that his troubles have touched so many people regardless of club loyalties. I'm sure the fans teams of Oldham and Rochdale will play their part, I will arrange an Ernie Cooksey trophy to be held annually for the winners of a charity fans game in conjunction with the Rosebowl or a competitive match. Although we shouldn't speak of him in the past tense, Peanuts was right that we should look to take positives out of Ernie's example.

Guest sheridans_world

My heart goes out to Ernie and his family. Every day people are told they have months, weeks, days, hours to live. Its true, the majority dont survive it. However, there are some cases where people have pulled through, it has happened before, it can happen again.

Keep fighting Ernie, Keep the thoughts of those stadiums full of people cheering you on...

ERNIE, ERNIE COOKSEY.

You can do it.

I'll still be shouting you on.

|

|

|

v

I was also thinking along them lines, on many occasions you hear of people with supposedly days to live only for them to survive much longer, we can only hope this is the case with Ernie. Keep Fighting

I'm sure the fans teams of Oldham and Rochdale will play their part...............Although we shouldn't speak of him in the past tense, Peanuts was right that we should look to take positives out of Ernie's example.

Even before this sad news, the forthcoming game at Spotland was going to be an opportunity for the fans of both Clubs to celebrate the epitome of most fans' idea of total commitment and infectious enthusiasm in a footballer. If the Latics and Dale fans can embrace the idea of a game dedicated to Ernie's memory, on an official basis with the blessing of both Clubs, there should be a relaxation of Police red tape, and hopefully a coming together of the fans in the pubs near the ground.

I've no doubt the Club will do something, be it letting people get their shirts printed for a donation, or whatever. It speaks volumes for the man that his troubles have touched so many people regardless of club loyalties. I'm sure the fans teams of Oldham and Rochdale will play their part, I will arrange an Ernie Cooksey trophy to be held annually for the winners of a charity fans game in conjunction with the Rosebowl or a competitive match. Although we shouldn't speak of him in the past tense, Peanuts was right that we should look to take positives out of Ernie's example.

Whilst of course it's wrong to assume the absolute worst, I'd hope that if no miracle occurs the Rose Bowl is renamed the Ernie Cooksey Trophy, or something to that effect, anyway.

First actual post on this board since I joined.

Gutted is the only word I can use to describe how Im feeling. But how Im feeling really doesnt matter. How Ernie is and the wellbeing of his family is what counts. My blessings go out to them. Could go on but wont. Writing this is so difficult this evening.

ERNIE, ERNIE COOKSEY, ERNIE, ERNIE COOKSEY

absolutely gutted to hear the news almost crying. if the worst does happen it will be tough doing a minute silence/applause for the end of someone so young and such a nice bloke, never a great player but gave absolutely everything and one of my favourite players since ive been watching latics.

keep fighting ernie KTF

OAFC ALWAYS

So so sad. Im praying for some kind of miracle.

My thoughts are with Ernie and his family.

Ernie to me was what every footballer or every person should be, a true gent and would always give 100%.

Ernie printed on the backs of the shirts is a great idea and one which the club should promote and whatever we make we give to Ernies family, because whatever it is, is not nearly as much as Ernie gave to us.

Very sad news, keep fighting Ernie.

ERNIE FOR ENGLAND

Edited by OAFC_PROUD

With what Ernie and his family are going through it certainly gives me a different outlook on life.

Forever how long our own lives are meant to be and regardless of anybody’s outcomes,

I can honestly say I will never forget what Ernie Cooksey’s going through, and what he stands for and means to me.

I wish I could give the same levels of, commitment, determination and heart into everything I do in life,

as Ernie showed us all he has, especially in his playing days and in such an abundance and unforgettable way.

Ernie for Oldham, Ernie for England, Ernie forever, in hearts and minds.

KTF

Edited by KYLEOAFC

Devastating that such a sound bloke, much the same as you and me, is going through this. as has been said, thoughts are with him and his family.

All the stuff that gets said on these boards, all the bickering and fighting,its a shame it takes something like this for us all to realise just how little all the petty squabbling matters.

i'll be fully in support of "ernies stand", or "the ernie memorial stand". a true gent, and a true latics legend.

Devastating that such a sound bloke, much the same as you and me, is going through this. as has been said, thoughts are with him and his family.

All the stuff that gets said on these boards, all the bickering and fighting,its a shame it takes something like this for us all to realise just how little all the petty squabbling matters.

i'll be fully in support of "ernies stand", or "the ernie memorial stand". a true gent, and a true latics legend.

Absolutely devastating news, life can be so cruel and unjust at times. My thoughts are with Ernie and his family and I only hope the time he has left can be made as comfortable as possible. God bless to all the Cooksey extended family.

[quote name='philliggi' date='Jun 29 2008, 11:45 AM' post='141825'

In the true spirit of the man why not "The Ernie Cooksey Trophy for Outstanding Effort", maybe not player of the season but for the player or staff member that consistently gives his/her all and goes beyond the call of duty and the levels of his/her own ability?

Edited by oafcprozac

In the true spirit of the man why not "The Ernie Cooksey Trophy for Outstanding Effort", maybe not player of the season but for the player or staff member that consistently gives his/her all and goes beyond the call of duty and the levels of his/her own ability?

Great idea - very apt, and a good incentive to everyone involved with the club.