Ernie Cooksey - Latest News

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the true spirit of the man why not "The Ernie Cooksey Trophy for Outstanding Effort", maybe not player of the season but for the player or staff member that consistently gives his/her all and goes beyond the call of duty and the levels of his/her own ability?

yeah...i'll second that!

Totally devasting news - a rare bright flame of honesty and effort and sheer professionalism in the modern world of prima donna jet-setters ! Ernie is a real latics legend as he always gave 200% and battled like a lion !.

Every latics fan who can needs to go to Spotland on 12th and sing their hearts out as a mark of respect all match regardless of the result - some things are more important and cant be forgotton !

One Ernie Cooksey .. theres only one Ernie Cooksey !!!!

Edited by Blue-Mist

Does anybody know whether Ernie's child as been born yet? If not I pray he see's the day. The things you hear about the man don't half humble me.

was reading an article online last night done around the time of the footy match...

i think it was dated sometime in april and the reporter said the baby was due in three months...

even a basic grasp of maths would tell you i hope to god he can hang on for a few weeks more till the birth...

Awful news and it is so hard to find the right words to say.

As others have said it is the most terrible times like these that make everything else so much less significant.

My thoughts are with you Ernie. No matter what you will always live on in our memories.

Terrible news, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Puts things into perspective.

Ernie 4 England!

ernie's baby is due in 4 weeks time. desperately sad situation, so tragic.

after visiting him last week, i can only pray that his suffering comes to an end sooner rather than later, both for him and louise and his family.

his indefeatable spirit is truly inspiring, even trying to raise a smile when we visited. wearing his latics shorts, he is a battler to the end.

many of his former teammates have been at his side this week, and they are, as we are absolutely devastated to see his deterioration in such a quick time.

i am in touch with his family frequently, so will inform of any updates, still praying for a miracle.

ernie's baby is due in 4 weeks time. desperately sad situation, so tragic.

after visiting him last week, i can only pray that his suffering comes to an end sooner rather than later, both for him and louise and his family.

his indefeatable spirit is truly inspiring, even trying to raise a smile when we visited. wearing his latics shorts, he is a battler to the end.

many of his former teammates have been at his side this week, and they are, as we are absolutely devastated to see his deterioration in such a quick time.

i am in touch with his family frequently, so will inform of any updates, still praying for a miracle.

It's awful to even read the board, brings tears to the eyes, such a true gent.

I never saw Ernie play for the Latics but my thoughts are with him and his family at this time.

Judging by the comments on here he was a decent and honest professional who loved the game and was loved by all who watched him play.

This is such a tragic story. Bless you, Ernie.

Heart breaking news, Ernie we are hoping for a miracle, you are in our thoughts you are in our prayers.

i'll never forget seing ernie in the pre season game at rochdale years ago,he give the club in my view the kiss of life when we looked like going out of business,we even struggled to get a kit together at the time if i recall,he put a smile on my face and i will always be grateful for that,keep fighting ernie

i'll never forget seing ernie in the pre season game at rochdale years ago,he give the club in my view the kiss of life when we looked like going out of business,we even struggled to get a kit together at the time if i recall,he put a smile on my face and i will always be grateful for that,keep fighting ernie

Was just about to write the same....remember his first appearance for us. Made what often are run-of-the-mill friendlies one of the most fun I've been to. Ernie was an instant hero that day....and continued to be for months to follow. He scored so many important goals for us while we were on our knees as a club. Praying for that miracle....or even just to live to see the day he becomes a father. Would be utterly cruel should that not happen.

In the true spirit of the man why not "The Ernie Cooksey Trophy for Outstanding Effort", maybe not player of the season but for the player or staff member that consistently gives his/her all and goes beyond the call of duty and the levels of his/her own ability?

cracking idea, but instead of giving it to a staff member/player, give it to the fan of the year, after all ernie is a man of the people, who played for latics, something each and every one of us would love to do. there is already a player of the season, i think its about time we had a fan of the season, for someone who goes to every match, or gives their own time to help the club out.

Bad news this, Ernie is a true gent.

If only the pompus premier league players had half the zest/attitude Ernie had while playing, football would not be in the mess it is now.

Hope Oldham sort something out regarding his family.

Lost for words basically, we all knew that the day would soon come when he does pass, but now it is so close it is hittig not just me, but a lot of fans from other teams very hard.

Best wishes to all the family and i really hope Ernies baby is healthy and happy!