Ernie Cooksey - Latest News

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ernie's baby is due in 4 weeks time. desperately sad situation, so tragic.

after visiting him last week, i can only pray that his suffering comes to an end sooner rather than later, both for him and louise and his family.

his indefeatable spirit is truly inspiring, even trying to raise a smile when we visited. wearing his latics shorts, he is a battler to the end.

many of his former teammates have been at his side this week, and they are, as we are absolutely devastated to see his deterioration in such a quick time.

i am in touch with his family frequently, so will inform of any updates, still praying for a miracle.

Guernica this is official as frankbunnschin seems to be close friends of the family, although he did say in a earlier post the 48 hours thing may not be true.

I am reading this and work and it has upset me basically, Will never forget Ernie Cooksey his effort and determination, what he lacked in technical skill and ability he made up for in effort. Took a wage cut from his painting and decorating job to play for us and live out his dream

Keep fighting Ernie and try and hold out for you unborn child.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Ryan

ernie's baby is due in 4 weeks time. desperately sad situation, so tragic.

after visiting him last week, i can only pray that his suffering comes to an end sooner rather than later, both for him and louise and his family.

his indefeatable spirit is truly inspiring, even trying to raise a smile when we visited. wearing his latics shorts, he is a battler to the end.

many of his former teammates have been at his side this week, and they are, as we are absolutely devastated to see his deterioration in such a quick time.

i am in touch with his family frequently, so will inform of any updates, still praying for a miracle.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with the situation I'm sure it is appreciated by everyone on here. Here's remembering and hoping.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with the situation I'm sure it is appreciated by everyone on here. Here's remembering and hoping.

morning everyone, spoke with lou last night (ernies girlfriend), and she said that he was watching the footy, unfortunately cheering for germany tho!!!

the little bugger is fighting all the way!!!

as i said previously, reports of the 48 hours diagnosis were wildly inaccurate, although his time is expected to be extremely limited, we are all hoping he gets to see his baby in 4 weeks and has some quality of life. will give an update later today, as 2 friends of his are going down to see him.

i told lou of all the comments on here and hopefully that will provide some element of support for our ern.

best wishes

martin

Thanks for the update Martin. Can you tell us as the cancer got so far now that there will be little chance or will there be a chance, Ernie would be able to make the trip to the States for treatment? either way you've given me more hope that Ernie will see his child born. Which is fantastic news.

Guest gillianfn

My thoughts are with Ernie and his family, I only wish I could have done a little more to help them all.

This illness is indeed one of the most dreadful I have ever faced. I think some of you will know that I lost my friend Jon to Malignant Melanoma just 6 weeks ago. He was just 30 years old, and whilst I am a better person for having known him, my life has an empty space, and there are days when I can't say his name without choking. Jon, like Ernie, battled very very bravely against the disease. Unfortunately, there is, as yet, no cure for malignant melanoma, only treatments and trials.

That is why I set up my fundraising charity for the Christie Hospital, (www.factor50.org.uk) so that more research can be carried out and one day, a cure found so that people like Jon and Ernie will recover. During a meeting with Christie's recently, I was told of a couple of young kids they are treating at 14 and 15 years old. How can that possibly be?

Finally, during the summer months, if you take one thing at all from what has happened to Ernie, please remember to use the highest factor sun screen you can - The sun screens with low SPF are a waste of time, you may as well not bother - the most of us and our children, are fair, pale skinned English people, we are not meant to be another colour. A bit of a tan for a couple of weeks is just not worth it. Dying for a tan - it really is that serious. The discomfort of sunburn is only a preview of the pain that you will suffer if you succumb to this illness.

Gill.

My thoughts are with Ernie and his family, I only wish I could have done a little more to help them all....

Gill.

I think you've done more than the vast majority of us in helping Ernie and his fundraising Gill.

And I'm glad you mentioned about sunburn in your parting paragraph. I got burnt out in Barcelona a month ago and considered myself to be in absolute agony for a few days. It's put into complete perspective someone like Ernie who's agony and pain must be ten, if not hundred-fold what I was experiencing.

Come on Ernie!

Guest gillianfn
I think you've done more than the vast majority of us in helping Ernie and his fundraising Gill.

And I'm glad you mentioned about sunburn in your parting paragraph. I got burnt out in Barcelona a month ago and considered myself to be in absolute agony for a few days. It's put into complete perspective someone like Ernie who's agony and pain must be ten, if not hundred-fold what I was experiencing.

Come on Ernie!

I don't think we can ever truly know the devastation of this illness, and I know that I sound disrespectful to all other forms of cancer, and I'm not, absolutely not. My mother is in hospital as we speak, having just undergone major surgery for bowel cancer, but bowel cancer is one of the most curable cancers, malignant melanoma has no cure. I have seen what this disease can do and it is frightening. I remember Jon looking at me once and saying "I'm scared Gill" - that will live with me for all time.

I am in the process at the moment of contacting the Education Authority at Oldham, to see if they want the kids making aware of this - can't do any harm can it? I'd be more than willing to give a couple of days up to go and speak to schools.

I don't think we can ever truly know the devastation of this illness, and I know that I sound disrespectful to all other forms of cancer, and I'm not, absolutely not. My mother is in hospital as we speak, having just undergone major surgery for bowel cancer, but bowel cancer is one of the most curable cancers, malignant melanoma has no cure. I have seen what this disease can do and it is frightening. I remember Jon looking at me once and saying "I'm scared Gill" - that will live with me for all time.

I am in the process at the moment of contacting the Education Authority at Oldham, to see if they want the kids making aware of this - can't do any harm can it? I'd be more than willing to give a couple of days up to go and speak to schools.

Gill thats a fantastic idea, if 1 life is saved then its all worthwhile, you are a real life hero, even through your suffering you are thinking of others. i work in education, you would be more than welcome to come to my place of work when you are ready. good luck in your campaign. God bless all who are associated with you, god bless Ernie, his family and friends.

Devastating News !!! I am truly gutted about it.

This has hit me at a blow as i thought he would go to america for his treatment and be in the chance of a fight .

I will be praying that he will meet his son before the warrior passes away!!

ERNIE FOR ENGLAND