Worst Ever signings?

I thought after we just heard Zola go for 200k I was thinking about whats the worst signings people can think of from all leagues and any era.

Ill start with a modern one. Samaras for 7million.

Edited by razza699

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Either that Winston fella at Chelsea a few years back. Or the guy Peter Reid signed at Sunderland following a veiwing of a video clip. Only to sign someone by the same name who couldn't kick a ball. Still at least Sunderland got their money back (1.5M) unlike Chelsea where Winston sat out his 4 years below the stiff level.

Edited by Lags

I know we got him on a free but unless he does something this coming season John Thompson could be a candidate!

Despite being one helluva player early in his career. Tomas Brolin was pretty pants at Leeds!

Latics? Duxbury apart pretty much anyone Colin signed. Ironside, Sinnott, Hodgson, Jepson, Foran, Starbuck............

Uncle Joe signed a few duck eggs too, Keeley x 2, Thompstone, Heseltine, Ormondroyd, Litchfield, Skipper, Kane, McDonald, Currie, Moulden........

I know we got him on a free but unless he does something this coming season John Thompson could be a candidate!

steve daley at citeh comes to mind,think they paid shed loads for him and he was crap,of ours rocastle was moderate at best even for free.

Whatever the Geordies paid Rangers for Boumsong takes some beating.

At our level, and for Latics, well Alan Smart wasn't the best of moves.

the thing what make this even more funny is that they could of got him for free in the summer but they decided not to get him so he went rangers then they bought him hahaha how thick :unsure:

Marco Boogers for West ham, hardly played then buggered off in a caravan.

Ali Dia - Bogus call from "George Weah" lead to him being signed by Southampton, came on as a sub and was then subbed off not long after.

Kleberson at Man U, world cup winner, poor player.

Veron, Bellion, Saha

How the likes of Saha (wtf), Bramble, Rocastle and Forbes can be even mentioned in a discussion about "the worst signings people can think of from all leagues and any era" is beyond me.

Shevchenko maybe?

I think Ali Dia probably wins hands down. Zola may well take the mantle yet :wink:

Worst signings for us?

Allan Smart.

Michael Ricketts.

Worst signings in Premier League

Pizarro at Chelsea, Voronin at Liverpool.

Slavisa Jokanovic 17 Million Chelsea paid for him in 2000, he played 19 games in 2 seasons.

A bit unfair perhaps. Our fans booing him all the time obviously hit his confidence. Don't think he's a bad player; Grimsby fans really rated him and he went on to get player of the season at Yeovil I think.

Not the best fullback but thought when played at centre-half he was very useful for us and played there all season as part of the Yeovil side that made it to Wembley.

Not the best fullback but thought when played at centre-half he was very useful for us and played there all season as part of the Yeovil side that made it to Wembley.

I'd definitely have him as centre half ahead of Thompson. Just looked a bag of nerves after about half that season he was here. Well, that's fans for yer. <_<

Whatever the Geordies paid Rangers for Boumsong takes some beating.

At our level, and for Latics, well Alan Smart wasn't the best of moves.

Graeme Sourness paid Rangers £8m to take Boumsong to Newcastle

Graeme Sourness paid Rangers £10m to take Ferguson to Blackburn

Todays cryptic quiz question is - what's the link?

Rebrov to Spurs turned out pretty bad. One of the best players in the world suddenly became absolutely cack.