Next season - other teams to watch

Some of our Rivals to watch next season. Obviously there will be more transfer movement yet. But with 5 weeks or so to go, heres who I think will be the main contenders.

Leeds - Goes without saying really. More money than everyone.

Leicester - First signing is Lloyd Dyer and if you look at the rest of the squad, it looks like it'll take some beating in league one.

Huddersfield. Keigan Parker and 2 Scunthorpe players who have, "been there and done it" at this level brought in so far. Stan Ternent is a shrewd manager in the lower leagues and I expect them to mount a challenge. One team always comes out of the pack from the previous season and I think it'll be them.

Colchester - Paul Reid, Matt Lockwood and Matt Heath are in my opinion good signings. Vernon will score in league one and I think they'll be up there.

Peterborough - Ok McLean looks like he's going, but they have plenty of money and a winning attitude. I'd expect them to be in the top 8.

I've avoided talking about us. I'll do that in 4 weeks or so.

"Keigan Parker and 2 Scunthorpe players who have, "been there and done it""

Two Scunthorpe players have done Jade Goody too?

:dead:

NB. In answer to your question I reckon Brighton could be the ones to watch this season.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

i agree with huddersfield pal!! didn't think that stan ternant would be the right man but he's made

3 quality FREE signings - i really rate parker!! and by all accounts they've still got money to spend!

NB. In answer to your question I reckon Brighton could be the ones to watch this season.

Definitely. They were a pretty decent side last season and look to have strengthened. I've a feeling in my bones about them; it's all coming together a bit with Falmer, and the players they've added are great quality.

Not sure about Leicester. Could go either way as a lot of expectation there. They've lost Iain Hulme to Barnsley who would have a been a real threat at this level. Matty Fryatt is still decent so they'll be up there but not sure they'll be in the top 2.

I do expect Leeds to go one better this time. Let's face it, they'd have stormed up without the points deduction. You can argue that it was in the face of adversity they did well, but most of their players are Championship quality. Despise them all the same, but can't see them being anywhere but the top 4 with McCallister at the helm.

Can't see Colchester having the same impact. New ground, may take some getting used to, and have a smaller squad than most others. Lost a couple of important players since relegation too. Same as Scunthorpe really. I can see mid-table/top half finishes for both, without really touching the play offs.

Huddersfield. Could be one to watch, but Keigan Parker will either be outstanding or completely anonymous, probably depending on his desire and frame of mind. Bigger crowds with the Netto ST's but could lead to extra pressure. Look a more solid, functional unit than last season, but perhaps miss that flair required.

I'd like to think we'll be in the top 6 this time. It's hard seperating the head from the heart here, but we've definitely strengthened in numbers. Absolutely imperitive that we keep Davies and Hughes fit and together for most of the season, because there's a lot riding on the shoulders of O'Grady, Alessandra and Smalley if it's all down to them.

New boys, Bastard Franchise Scum and Peterborough. I think the latter have much more of a chance given they keep the same manager and strengthen. BFS have an untried manager (OK, coach) and have lost a couple of key players. Think both of them will be happy with mid-table or top half.

Carlisle have to get over the body blow of losing a winning position to Leeds. Could have a lot of replacing to do if Garner leaves and already have lost their star man (in the goalie). Could even slip into the bottom half if they have a bad start.

I doubt Southend will mount a reasonable challenge next season. Were completely out of their depth in the play-offs, and have lost some key players. Depends who they replace them with this month, but the new stadium development will possibly take priority over investment in the team.

Dark horses could also be in the form of Swindon Town. Malpas is a pretty solid manager, and they finished pretty well last season. May not have enough in the tank for the whole season but will test and turn over fancied teams.

For relegation, I can see struggles in particular for Walsall, Cheltenham, Stockport, Millwall and Hereford. Leyton Orient finished appallingly and could carry that bad form into next season too.

hudds have been given the biggest transfer fund avaible ever in this league according to richies dad also they want wellens but he has turned round and said the only other team he would sign for in this league are leeds only if they would give him a four year contract!!!!!

they offered money for richie and said they would make him the higgest paid player at the club!!!!!

well done richie stay away fom them.... haha :grin:

"Keigan Parker and 2 Scunthorpe players who have, "been there and done it""

Two Scunthorpe players have done Jade Goody too?

:dead:

Taken a couple (including club captain) of the best players from Colchester. Colchester fans expect nothing this season I was told.

Aside from the obvious Leeds, Leicester etc. I think a good outside bet might be Swindon. Peterbrough might be close to the play-offs but i can't see it and MK Dons will not have as good a year as some of the bookies think they will. At 9/1 for promotion (at Ladbrookes according to Oddschecker) though I think the best bet is ............

Oldham

Since we were a little bit unlucky not to be in the play-offs last year and we have definately improved our squad with time (youngsters getting better) and some reasonable new signings.

Interestingly Carlisle I think will really struggle and can see them going down as they were by far and away the worst team i saw at BP (I did miss some so its understandable that other people think different) and they got into the play-offs on their home form which won't be as good this time around. plus quite often a team that challenged the season before stuggles the year after.

I would add Brighton to the list too.

Odds - William Hills

Leeds E/W 3/1

LeicesterE/W5/1

PeterboroughE/W9/1

M K DonsE/W11/1

HuddersfieldE/W16/1

CarlisleE/W16/1

TranmereE/W20/1

SouthendE/W20/1

ColchesterE/W20/1

BrightonE/W20/1

ScunthorpeE/W25/1

OldhamE/W25/1

WalsallE/W33/1

SwindonE/W33/1

NorthamptonE/W33/1

MillwallE/W33/1

HartlepoolE/W33/1

Bristol RoversE/W33/1

Leyton OrientE/W40/1

HerefordE/W40/1

YeovilE/W50/1

StockportE/W50/1

CreweE/W66/1

CheltenhamE/W80/1

/4 Odds Place 1, 2, 3

Worst Value - Tranmere. Best Latics (or am I biased?)

Edited by pukka

Just copying and pasting something from another thread I put up...thought it showed just how the bookies know, for the most part, normally get it right...especially in the top half.

Interesting now to look at last years odds (off Southend United fishal)

Leeds - 5/1

Forest - 6/1

Luton - 10/1

Swansea - 11/1

Doncaster - 12/1

Southend - 14/1

Tranmere - 16/1

Oldham - 16/1

Brighton - 16/1

Yeovil - 16/1

Millwall - 16/1

Gillingham - 20/1

Huddersfield - 20/1

Hartlepool - 25/1

Carlisle - 25/1

Bournemouth - 33/1

Northampton - 33/1

Swindon - 33/1

Crewe - 33/1

Walsall - 40/1

Bristol Rovers - 50/1

Port Vale - 50/1

Leyton Orient - 66/1

Cheltenham - 66/1

So if you then compare that to final league positions (bearing in mind too that 3 teams were deducted points that were unknown at the time of the odds (Leeds hadn't been deducted by this point)...

Highest 'Odds position' in brackets...

1. Swansea (4)

2. Forest (2)

-----------------------------

3. Doncaster (5)

4. Carlisle (14)

5. Leeds (1)

6. Southend (6)

7. Brighton (7)

8. Oldham (7)

9. Northampton (16)

10. Huddersfield (12)

11. Tranmere (7)

12. Walsall (20)

13. Swindon (16)

14. Orient (23)

15. Hartlepool (14)

16. Bristol Rovers (21)

17. Millwall (7)

18. Yeovil (7)

19. Cheltenham (23)

20. Crewe (19)

21. Bournemouth (16)

22. Gillingham (12)

23. Port Vale (21)

24. Luton (3)

There's the odd major anomaly (Carlisle, Luton, Gillingham, Millwall, Yeovil) but most of them are pretty accurate in the end, especially at the top end - they correctly predicted 5 of the top 6 and who would be pushing on the outskirts (i.e. us, Brighton and Tranmere). The bookies know who'll be a force this year, and they're probably right...MKD and Peterborough will do well. I mean look at the teams who came up last year on last year's odds...Walsall, Bristol, and Swindon all bottom half, Hartlepool were 'mid-table'. They know they'll be fancied and have given odds that reflect that.

Edited by jsslatic

I'd be surprised to see two promoted teams in the top 4, has that ever happened before? They have spent money, but so have quite a few other dies in this division, and it is still a higher level of opponent where their better players won't be able to dictate as they could to the worse teams in Div 4

Got 14/1 for MK Scum to go right back to where they came from....liking the troubles they've faced so far over the summer regards loss of manager and players and would be very satisfying.

Also....side that hasn't been mentioned, Millwall. Just got a feeling they might surprise a few this season.

Some of our Rivals to watch next season. Obviously there will be more transfer movement yet. But with 5 weeks or so to go, heres who I think will be the main contenders.

Leicester - First signing is Lloyd Dyer and if you look at the rest of the squad, it looks like it'll take some beating in league one.

Huddersfield. Keigan Parker and 2 Scunthorpe players who have, "been there and done it" at this level brought in so far. Stan Ternent is a shrewd manager in the lower leagues and I expect them to mount a challenge. One team always comes out of the pack from the previous season and I think it'll be them.

Colchester - Paul Reid, Matt Lockwood and Matt Heath are in my opinion good signings. Vernon will score in league one and I think they'll be up there.

Peterborough - Ok McLean looks like he's going, but they have plenty of money and a winning attitude. I'd expect them to be in the top 8.

I think Leicester Leeds MK Franchise & Peterboro Will all be in the top five with us

Outsiders Hudds

Swindon, us, Southend and hudds are all dark horses this year, leicester will really struggle, just scraping the top half, ala sheff weds in their first season. leeds should walk it this year.

to go down, i recon scunthorpe will do a luton and fall through the trap door for a second successive season, while crewe will do naff all and join them.

up

leeds

us

playoffs

hudds

swindon

southend

peterborough

down

crewe

hereford

scunthorpe

cheltenham

THERE IS ONLY ONE TEAM TO WATCH - OWDUM - YOU GOT ME WONDERING OWDUM !!