Just had a message from Toby Tyke (Barnsley mascot) to say all the players have just heard about ernie and would like to offer their condolences. Toby came to the benefit game for Ernie and got to meet him, he said he was a true gent and will be sadly missed.

Looks like the whole English football world will miss you mate.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like everyone else I'm devastated. I'm going through a difficult time at work and am being made redundent but this has put that into sharp perspective.

Will remember him for the first time I saw him in a home friendly against blackburn in the summer of hell. Knowone was trying harder than him on that occasion and the fans took to him instantly it was easy to appreciate his efforts because he was so honest and brave and thats the biggest compliment I can pay him.

If the whistle blew for you to go over the top in the trenches ernie was the guy you would want by your side he would never let you down.

Lovely and touching obituary on the fishul site just now. Well written.

I was thinking about the Rochdale game at Spotland and it'd be nice for the clubs to acknowledge him by having his name on every players shirt, for both sides. I know it's officially a meaningful cup game, but could any proceeds of the gate reciepts go to Ernies family or do Carling have a say in that? I think it'll possibly be a sell-out crowd now.

This really is tragic, a top bloke in life, a young bloke in years, a young child entering into life without the best role model a child could have, a hero to all fans, a missing piece to the girl who loved him and mother who now buries a son. Rest in peace Ernie and thanks for the memories.

I've said R.I.P to players from generations before my time who've passed away, with little to no feeling behind it and just for the sake of saying it. This is the first where those words regarding a former player who's sadly passed away, where they do truely mean something. It's a crying shame his new born wont get to see what kind of a man his/her dad was, but i'm sure they'll be told he was a gent who made a mark wherever he went. From the moment he ran on that pitch in the friendly at Rochdale to sporadic chants of "Ernie for England", which for a player no one knew - we will never witness again. Played with everything all any Latics fan asks for, pride, passion and a bit of effort and to cap it off. Did it with a smile. An Inspiration.

Rest in Peace Ernie!

ERNIE FOR ENGLAND!!!

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Very sad news

I never new Ernie the man but Ernie the footballer was a true inspiration.

There have been a large number of players who have pulled on the Blue shirt in the last eighteen years while I've been watching Latics but Ernie is probably the hardest working one of the lot.

Nobody has ever claimed that he was our most skillful player but for pure heart, he couldn't be beaten.

I think his legacy is summed up by the fact that despite his relatively short stay at the club, he is known as just 'Ernie'. There are players who spend ten years plus at the club who would be referred to by their full name. Ernie has always been 'Ernie' and always will be.

Rest In Peace Ernie

What devastating news - Ernie will always hold a place in mine and my family's heart, Truly a Latics Legend and a man who brought a smile to many people's faces. I'll never forget that look on his face when he turned to see how many people there were at his benefit game.

My condolences to all who knew him especially his family and girlfriend.

RIP Ernie

R.I.P ... this has brought more than a tear to my eye ... you will not be forgotten!!

I dont know if this has been mentioned, as theres alot of posts to read through ... but what do you think the chances are of the gate receipts of our game with Dale being donated to Ernies family .. or a charity organisation close to them that helped them during this horrendous time? Surely afew thousand is nothing to either club in respects to this? Even if everyone donated a couple of quid theyd be a big amount collected.

I am lost for words, i never expected it.

I think we all had a hope that he would pull through if only to see his baby born, but unfortunately a legend has passed.

Ask many lower league clubs about Ernie Cooksey, and they will have a giggle that someone so young has such an old mans name, but that is how he stood out.

Everything about him was different, He was a player that nobody gave abuse to, no matter how bad we were, nor did the opposition, and the reason was he was a fans player you could be sure that if there was a 50/50 to be won, Ernie would try his hardest to win it, and 9/10 he would.

He fought for the shirt, not for the money, or glory, he was given his chance and he took it in both hands.

My condolences to his family and close friends.

But lets get our chins up, as you know Ernie would have.

RIP Big Ern.

Alot of people's favourite player of recent times, especially those around my age.

100% effort every game, and put modern footballers to shame. He was in it purely for his love of the game not the money.

Loved for so many different reasons.

We'll miss you, Ernie.

Truly gutted about this - I knew he was going to go soon but I thought he would live to see his kid

Gone But never Forgotten

R.I.P ERNIE

1980 - 2008

come on latics lets do this for ernie 2008 / 2009 promtion battle!!!

My condolences go to Ernies Family

Ernie you will alway be a hero !!!

ERNIE FOR ENGLAND

finally the news that we had all hoped would never come, has hit me via this pc screen like a brick...

devastated isn't the word at the moment!! i was simply praying that he could stay with us till his child was born but alas that's not the case! my thoughts are with his partner and his family at this hard time...

thanks ernie for giving us fans the immense enjoyment of seeing you rampaging up and down the pitch... and as i blow the cob webs away i remember one or two 'beauties' being scored too!

a TRUE FAN'S FOOTBALLER!!

god bless mate!

thetramdriver

Edited by thetramdriver