• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a very sad day - the world is a much darker place with one of the really good guys cruely taken away. Ernie was a brave young man of the old school - honest,brave, fair, a real trier with the heart of a lion and manners of a true gentleman. God bless you Ernie - rest in peace.

Phil .

Ernie Cooksey got his chance in professional football and grabbed it with both hands. I'd like to think that if I'd had the chance I would have played like Ernie did at Rochdale, running myself into the ground. He was exhausted when he was substituted that day - had given everything - or so we thought - he was back on before the end of the game for another go!!

As I say, I'd like to think I would play like that. In reality it's not that simple. If it was that easy everyone would put that amount of effort in and Ernie's debut wouldn't be remembered as anything out of the ordinary.

Ernie - the instant legend, RIP.

So very sad and cruel. Can't add much more than what's already been written and said other than I don't think I will meet anyone nicer in my life than Ernie was. A true gent, a free spirit and with a smile that I'll never forget. I think myself and many others will have to fight back the tears at Spotland when we play next month as a full stadium sings "One Ernie Cooksey" in rememberance. As fans, it'll be the closest we'll be able to come to saying our goodbye.

Take care Ernie! You'll always been remembered!

Ernie Cooksey. A name now eched in all Latics Fans hearts. You will be sadly missed. As a Latics fan I saw him play many times but never got to meet him but still felt close to him in he was achieving our dream by playing professional football. Im not very religious by nature but God Bless You Our Ernie. Take care mate and head in a few goals through those gates of heaven

RIP xx

A cruel, cruel injustice. So very heartbreaking.

Thoughts to Louise, family and friends.

Not many players over the years made me smile as much as Ernie.

Like a kid in a sweet shop, his energy, enthusiasm and endevour will last with us forever.

May you rest in peace Ernie.

I've been trying to think of the words to describe Ernie and the impact that he has had on the people he touched and to be honest I've struggled, the most descriptive honest assesment is "a true giant amongst men"

God bless his family and if his young one grows up with half his spirit, determination and ethic then they too will be a gaint to be respected.

God Bless Ernie and his family to be

Leicester use it as well - I've been mistaken for a Leicester fan from behind quite a few times when wearing the old shirt.

And no, Leeslover, that's NOT a euphemism.

I would never sink so low as to accuse you of being a Marmite Miner.

So sad. So unfair.

Like Rocky, I have never been one for 'RIP'-ing every person/footballer/ex-player who dies.

This one matters.

Goodnight, God bless, Ernie. You always were - and always will be - a star.

His attitude was second to none, as oafc_ok said, he took his chance with both hands. For someone to give up their job and take a pay cut to live out the dream of being a pro footballer is a big risk, especially as we were so close to going out of business. The way he put so much effort in to playing for our club means he will always have a special place in the hearts of every Latics fan.

His goal against QPR was a special one, and his goal at Grimsby was an absolute belter.

RIP Ernie.

Not that it really matters, but I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what job he left to join us? It was reading the obituary on the official site in the office earlier that really brought home the emotion of it to me, I was trying to imagine what it would be like for an Essex boy in his early 20s to go up to his boss and give him his notice as he was going to up sticks and move to some grim Northern mill town to become a footballer on very little money. He must have been :censored:ting himself. I wasn't at his debut but he must have been a bag of nerves, probably imagining phoning his boss up the next day asking for his job back after bombing out. Fortunately he was better than that and rose to the challenge.

I don't live in Oldham so I just wondered has anyone been to the ground? Are there any floral tributes or scarves etc outside? I'd like to add to it if there are.

Each to their own mate, but on occasions like this I often think for myself that it would be better to give the money to help those who are still around rather than on flowers. Not that I would criticise anyone who wanted to take part in a public demonstration of how we all feel in that way of course.

Edited by leeslover

I have never ever seen another player at Oldham give so much heart in every game he played, such a lovely man and one who wll be remembered for many years to come on the terraces. Rest in peace Ernie, thoughts go out to all your family.

Each to their own mate, but on occasions like this I often think for myself that it would be better to give the money to help those who are still around rather than on flowers. Not that I would criticise anyone who wanted to take part in a public demonstration of how we all feel in that way of course.

I was thinking of going down the scarf route myself as I agree with what you say, just wondered if anything had appeared at BP yet

rochdale afc

a71e_2.JPG

Ernie Cooksey remembered

Thursday 03 Jul 2008 18:29:45 by Col

Following the sad news about Ernie Cooksey, we look back at his time with Dale with some of our favourite memories of him.

We'd be lying if we tried to say that Ernie was the best player to have ever played for the club. No one would probably laugh at that suggestion more than Ernie himself would. With Ernie, what we had was a genuine cult hero, the sort of player that we all wanted to be once we realised we weren't going to be the next Marco Van Basten.

It's almost helped that he came into the game late. He was spotted by Ian Dowie's brother Bob whilst playing for Crawley Town, coming into professional football at 23. It's as if it made him more real knowing that he'd left school, been to work for a few years, even taking a cut in wages to give the professional game a go, rather than the more traditional route of school, trainee, footballer.

But there was more than that. The first time any of us saw Cooksey in action was the first time that any of the Oldham fans had seen him play too, when he came to Spotland for the Rose Bowl. The question on everyone's lips was "Who was this fella coming on for Oldham who looked old enough to be actually called Ernie?" Few could believe it when we found out he was just 23.

We saw that day that the Oldham supporters took him to their hearts straight away. I remember this big long run that he went on where he didn't seem to have any idea where he was going with the ball, but there wasn't a hope in hell of any of the Dale players getting anywhere close to getting the ball.

He was everywhere. Left back, right wing, centre of midfield. He was clearly a player determined to take full advantage of this late chance to make it as a professional. And every touch he had the ball brought Brazilian Olés from the travelling Latics supporters, and the chants of "Ernie Ernie Ernie" were born.

That first season at Boundary Park was a good one for Ernie, playing in all but a small handful of games for them. He was a vital member of their squad, and he came through with a number of goals for them. He was this player who had this tendency to just appear from out of nowhere at the back post to knock it in with his head.

But something went wrong, and it seemed clear that new Oldham boss Brian Talbot just didn't fancy Ernie at all, and within the blink of an eye he was gone. Of course, with that Rose Bowl fresh in the minds of everyone at Spotland, it was no surprise that we were first in line to snap up his services.

Cooksey's arrival at Spotland was just what we were missing. Despite a decent start to the season, we'd been a bit weak in the middle. Cooksey hit it off with Gary Jones straight away and they formed a lethal partnership in the middle. Any opposition player knew that they wouldn't have a second on the ball if they were up against them two.

I often made reference to the Shrewsbury home game that season when looking back at Cooksey's time at Dale. It was his crowning glory with Dale. He'd made the decision that he was going to be Mr Big Boss Man that day and anybody who disagreed with that would have him to answer to.

Unfortunately, Shrewsbury's Jamie Tolley had other ideas. And decided that it was he who would be the midfield king for the day. And so we had a prize battle going on at Spotland. It didn't last long. Cooksey worked a treat on Tolley, winding him constantly till Tolley became a walking liability, and needed to be dragged off by the Shrews manager Gary Peters a good five minutes before half time.

This as you can imagine incurred the wrath of the travelling Shrewsbury support who unleashed all sorts of abuse and bile at Cooksey. However, they failed every bit as much as Tolley did, as Ernie played up to the stick he was getting it, and laughed every bit off to the extent that he ended the game with plaudits from both the Shrewsbury manager and their support - something never forgotten by them to this day.

And that game backed up every bit of the Ernie Cooksey cult hero. In these days where David Mellor or whichever BBC buffoon is running 606 these days gets a flood of phone call complaints from opposition supporters if a player looks at a fan the wrong way, or has the temerity to look pleased after he's scored, or even worse where players get reported to the Police for over celebrating, it was great to see a player who reminded us that it was still possible to have banter between the terraces and the pitch.

His time at Dale went a little the way of his time with Oldham did. His second season didn't hit the heights of the first, mainly due to spending so much of it pushed out to the left hand side of midfield. It was clearly not his best role, and it did him few favours at all. He gave his all, but he was never a winger.

It's been mentioned since that it was during this season that his first health problems first arose. It was never made public, or even rumoured about, but it was believed that he'd very much won this private battle against cancer. He had a short spell at Boston upon leaving Dale followed by a switch to Grays last Summer, but it wasn't long before he'd had the terrible news that the cancer had returned just months after thinking that it had been defeated.

His last game came as recently as February of this year, when he played in the Conference against Exeter, but by now, the cancer had started to take over, and his battles were now very much off the field.

But even in his final weeks, he still managed to get to Wembley to cheer on Dale, enjoying many a conversation with Dale supporters at the game. Those that spoke to him recalled him still full of enthusiasm, and whilst it'd been eighteen months since leaving Dale, he was there stodd alongside the supporters who'd called out "Ernie Ernie Ernie" many many times during his time with Dale. His mind should have been on other things, but you just can't shrug off that football bug.

But less than five weeks on from that day out in Wembley, reports reached us that things had taken a turn for the worse and then the dreadful news reached us that Ernie had lost his battle with cancer. It's frightening to think that the first Dale player from my time as a Dale supporter that I've been aware of dying is actually six years younger than I am. It's been said countless times over and over on the messageboard, but 28 is no age at all, and when you think about him missing the birth of his first child by a matter of weeks, its absolutely heartbreaking.

The forthcoming League Cup game between Dale and Oldham is going to take on extra significance in light of recent events with no doubt further fund raising taking place before the game. Whatever happens, there's no doubting that fans will be united on the night, without a dry eye in the house

our ernie last night passed away.

he went peacefully in his sleep at midnight.

his family were by his side.

his family would like to pass on their sincere thanks for all support received.

god bless you mate

martin xxx

i said i wouldnt post on here any more but feel the need to .god bless ernie you have my utmost respect and thanks for sharing twelve months of your life with all latics fans rip