• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But even in his final weeks, he still managed to get to Wembley to cheer on Dale, enjoying many a conversation with Dale supporters at the game. Those that spoke to him recalled him still full of enthusiasm, and whilst it'd been eighteen months since leaving Dale, he was there stodd alongside the supporters who'd called out "Ernie Ernie Ernie" many many times during his time with Dale. His mind should have been on other things, but you just can't shrug off that football bug.

Good read and quite suprising to read that. Just shows what effect he had on clubs and in return what effect the clubs had on him.

What's the capacity for away fans at the game?

rammed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3,600 give or take a few hundred if they decide to put in restrictions.

You'd expect that the sad Ernie news today will be enough reason for an extra couple of hundred Latics. You'd hope so anyway.

It wont be rammed, at least not in the other parts of the ground (certainly not the 10,000 lees mentioned earlier - infact, nowhere near it) so they'll be plenty of room no matter how many 'tics do decide to make the short hop.

3,600 give or take a few hundred if they decide to put in restrictions.

You'd expect that the sad Ernie news today will be enough reason for an extra couple of hundred Latics. You'd hope so anyway.

It wont be rammed, at least not in the other parts of the ground (certainly not the 10,000 lees mentioned earlier - infact, nowhere near it) so they'll be plenty of room no matter how many 'tics do decide to make the short hop.

We'll do 3.5k, no worries!

E4E!!!

We'll do 3.5k, no worries!

E4E!!!

I'd be surprised if we don't at least equal the *cough "2,800" *cough that we took to Uddy the year before last, given the uniqueness of the occasion on several grounds. However many, I'm sure both sets of fans will do the occasion proud.

looking at all the ideas of a permanent tribute to ernie ,and the deep sense of loss.. one idea that sticks in my mind is a replacement flag,

bought by the supporters of oldham athletic , and on a size of the original keep the faith flag with a picture of ernie in the centre...

the words true grit sums up his short but eventfull stay at bp ...however the words to the flag would obviously be the choice of a vote....

in my opinion the flag would be a lasting reminder of ernie and perhaps remind the team of what we as fans appreciate in a player

true grit....just an idea

Guest sheridans_world

RIP Ern, best wishs to his family for the future.

Its a shame he didnt get to meet his child, I hope that his child reflects Ernie because that way, he'll live and shine on.

I am absolutely devastated at the news of Ernie Cooksey passing away. The man is a true Latics legend and will be sorely missed by everyone. For his committed performances alone, he is up at the top of the list of my all time favourite players. I’ll never forget the vital goals he scored for our club and the way he could climb for a header was simply unrivalled. His first game for the club away at Rochdale in a friendly match was great to watch because of the drive and passion of one person alone – Ernie Cooksey. Ernie for England!

My thoughts are with his family at this tragic time and the sad loss of a great individual who always played with a smile on his face and simply for the love of the game. So young to die, it is extremely heart-wrenching to lose such an inspirational man. OAFC should do something in remembrance of Ernie, the player that the fans loved.

I am not alone in my sadness tonight. There’s only one Ernie Cooksey! A true inspiration to us all. RIP Ernie.

John Mellor

Not that it really matters, but I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what job he left to join us? It was reading the obituary on the official site in the office earlier that really brought home the emotion of it to me, I was trying to imagine what it would be like for an Essex boy in his early 20s to go up to his boss and give him his notice as he was going to up sticks and move to some grim Northern mill town to become a footballer on very little money. He must have been :censored:ting himself. I wasn't at his debut but he must have been a bag of nerves, probably imagining phoning his boss up the next day asking for his job back after bombing out. Fortunately he was better than that and rose to the challenge.

Each to their own mate, but on occasions like this I often think for myself that it would be better to give the money to help those who are still around rather than on flowers. Not that I would criticise anyone who wanted to take part in a public demonstration of how we all feel in that way of course.

Interesting and valid points from both of you. I wondered if the club could turn the floodlights on at night time for a couple of hours as a tribute. (Yes I know the NIMBYS wouldn't be happy)

Gutted.

'Legend' is used far too often thesedays but even though he is no Stitch or Palmer, he is an absolute legend purely for being him. A man full of fight, determination, passion, enthusiasm and desire both on and (more importantly) off the pitch.

Fighting for every single ball, fighting until his very last breath.

In a world full of scumbags and a game full of money grabbing mercenaries, this just makes it all the harder. A good guy has left us today and devastatingly left a heavily pregnant wife. Beyond words. 28...not even at his prime!!!

Ernie has left a real mark on this world and the poignant thing about it is that he was probably oblivious to why he had made such an impression, after all it was just him being him. And that just sums the guy up.

My thoughts and prayers are with Louise and Ernie's family.

Take care Ernie. Always in our hearts.

E4e

ERNIE

Only just heard. Going to bed with a sad heart tonight.

I have only just heard about Ernie's passing. I still can't believe it. I only saw him play a few times but I remember that goal he scored at Grimsby away on Boxing Day. It sent everyone crazy.

RIP Ernie.

My condolences to all his family, especially his girlfriend Louise.

In a world full of scumbags and a game full of money grabbing mercenaries, this just makes it all the harder. A good guy has left us today and devastatingly left a heavily pregnant wife. Beyond words. 28...not even at his prime!!!

I was thinking summat similar earlier on, like how people look up to the football "stars" of today who value their ego's and wages above passion and love for the game. So it makes it even worse Ernie Cooksey was the one to suffer such a tragic fate, when in my opinion he personified what football should be all about.

Rest in peace Ernie, you'll be a hero in every sense of the word to those lucky enough to have seen you play.

ERNIE FOR ENGLAND

Ernie.You lived the dream.For that you and your family must be so proud.The impact you had on fellow fans in their admiration of you is clear from all the tributes and messages here.Players come,players go.Many of which are forgotten.Not you Ernie.You will be remembered fondly for your will and desire and genuine love for the game.For that,I am very proud and grateful to have seen you play for our team.

R.I.P Ernie

Ernie joined Oldham a couple of seasons after I first started watching Latics regularly. I wasn't around for the glory years, and so wasn't exactly spoilt by the football on display at BP. This is one of the reasons I love supporting Latics though, as you come to appreciate players not just for their talent, but for their commitment and passion. Ernie was never the most gifted of footballers, but what he lacked in talent he more then made up for in hard work and just his genuine enthusiasm for the game. Football is severly lacking characters like Ernie these days, and he will be sorely missed, not just by Oldham fans, but by football as a whole. R.I.P Ernie.

I can only echo everyone else's sentiments - Ernie was a ray of sunshine on a very murky day. A lot of people have said that he was the epitome of the survival season, so i'm glad the OS's obituary mentions the QPR game, probably the best example of his determination and character.

I think deep down we probably knew there wasn't going to be a happy ending, but for him to not see his baby being born just seems so unfair. I can't imagine how his partner must be feeling; i can only hope his family are taking some comfort from how highly people thought of him.

A terrible loss, which has put a cloud over my head today. A player who's heart went into every second he was on the field. Someone who deserved to be idolised by young players without ever asking for it and never questioned how lucky he was.

Rest In Peace,

Ernie For England.